Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSgt. Pepper's vs. Between The Buttons

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is the better album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [83.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sgt. Pepper's vs. Between The Buttons
    Posted: February 14 2017 at 21:29
With the 50th Anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's coming up, I wanted to do a poll regarding what is probably the most famous album in all of rock. While I could have chosen just about anything from the summer of love (Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd or even the Beach Boys with the lost SMiLE), in the end, I decided to go with arguably the most cliché alternative - The Rolling Stones. The decision was based on an interview in 1975 where Frank Zappa said that Between The Buttons was superior album. While I would take anything Zappa said about The Beatles with a grain of salt, I think the Stones' writing during this period was strong enough to the point where one could easily make a case for it.

To make things more interesting, for Sgt. Pepper's, the Beatles/both option would also include the "Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever" single, which should have been in the original album in the first place. To even the playing field, Between The Buttons will refer to both the U.K. and U.S. versions, meaning that the "Let's Spend The Night Together/Ruby Tuesday" single, along with omitted U.K. tracks "Backstreet Girl" and "Please Go Home" are part of the Stones/both option.

So which had the better tunes and why?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 22:20
I go for WOIIFTM, which is better than both by a lightyear. But Sgt Pepper does have A day in the life, which is an impressive song

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - February 14 2017 at 22:21
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
 Post Reply Post Reply