Topic ClosedPieces disliked by own creators

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 07:46
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I remember one or more members of Renaissance (Camp?) being quite negative on Camera Camera. Many fans would agree but not me!

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't the band pressured to have Tout sacked so they could include 80's type synthesisers on Camera Camera. That would be reason alone to hate this album.

I think I occasionally read more about what went on in the band at that time but I couldn't memorise all the details. I'd be surprised if it was like this, certainly there was some tension between personalities in the band as well involving Tout. Would one of the Renaissance fans active in their appreciation thread please help?

Anyway, I'd still stick to appreciating music entirely by my ears and keep background information out of it as much as I can. (I know that even many ears don't like that album but I'm fine with it.)
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 09:31
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

What about the opposite - where an artist heaps praises on one album but their fans consider it one of their worst? I remember whenever Weird Al released a new album and someone asked him what his favourite is, he would say something like "Well, coincidentally, my favourite album is always the one I'm currently promoting. So, by far, my new album is the best thing I've ever done."LOL

On a related note, I've heard Martin Barre, at one point in the late 90s, said he was quite fond of Under Wraps.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:35
Originally posted by Havantville Havantville wrote:

When Tangerine Dream made their breakthrough with 'Phaedra' in '74, Edgar Froese stated that he wished people never knew about the earlier albums.

And I think that it was taken out of context. There is a piece in "Atem" that is shorter and is similar to "Phaedra", but all in all, it was a time when they did what they could with the equipment they had, and the controls that they had. I doubt, they could have done better in "Atem", and that EF dismissed so easily. 

His autobiography, whenever it makes it (supposed to come this April!!!!! Maybe!), should help clarify that, however, EF had a wicked sense of humor that was highly educated and intelligent, and for the most part it would go over most rock journalists, who only knew 4 beats and one type of music and a hit!

Like, it sounds like "washing machine music", and that guy, obviously, NEVER, EVER, heard a washing machine to make the proper comparison! He must have known music, though, if he thought a washing machine had some music in it, right?

On general, most of the stuff written on "progressive music" these days, and the "experimental music" of the late 60's and 70's is derogatory, and not aware of the state of the equipment, and how these were developing. Most of these folks did the best they could with what they had ....  and the fact remains ... that most of them were FAR more creative with less, THEN, than they became later with MUCH MORE.

Just shows you how lazy some folks can be, when they do not see, or appreciate the difference.

Frank Zappa, was not always very fond of his early work, but at the very least, he appreciated one thing about it ... the ability to create it and come up with something totally unusual. That side of him, never really left, even though he got to (somewhat" more serious music later.

Edited by moshkito - March 10 2017 at 08:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 14:47
Ian Anderson still hates A Passion Play.
About as dumb as Wakeman hating TFTO.
Don't these fools have ears???
Two of the best albums ever dissed by their creators. 
Shocking.

And then there's Tony Banks...
Bigbobby10 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 12:49
The two I know is that Rush hates Fly by Night and Caress of Steel 

And Pink Floyd hates Atom Heart Mother
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 13:33
^And reportedly, we'll never hear 'Steel's Lakeside Park live ever again.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2017 at 16:40
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Didn't he once say he thought Invisible Touch was their best album?
Magma America Great Make Again
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2017 at 22:52

Didn't Genesis perform LLDIB on stage in France and like, three people turned up to watch. Shortly after that Peter Gabriel left the band.

So putting myself in Tony Banks's shoes, if I made an album that made millions, it might colour my judgement as to which is better.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 08:08
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">And then there's Tony Banks...</span>

Didn't Genesis perform LLDIB on stage in France and like, three people turned up to watch. Shortly after that Peter Gabriel left the band.
A friend was fortunate enough to see 'LLDOB in San Diego, and he said by the time of the third movement (the third side of the album), one could casually stroll up to the front of the stage unencumbered and gawk at Gabriel going through the motions - audience interest was that low.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2017 at 09:12
Originally posted by Bigbobby10 Bigbobby10 wrote:

The two I know is that Rush hates Fly by Night and Caress of Steel

Peart dislikes everything prior to Moving Pictures lol
beeebon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 05:51
Not quite prog but Jerry Garcia (and other members of the band) always dismissed the first Grateful Dead album, which is a shame because I think it is a great garage rock album
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 10:12
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I once read somewhere that the Pink Floyd members (especially Roger Waters) stated in multiple interviews that they wish Atom Heart Mother was not being sold anymore, emphasizing their embarrassment towards their own album and referring to it as 'weird sh*t'. Waters even said:

'I wouldn't dream of performing anything that embarrassed me. If somebody said to me now: "Right...here's a million pounds, go out and play 'Atom Heart Mother'", I'd say: "You must be f*cking joking...I'm not playing that rubbish!". 'Cos then I really would be embarrassed.'
I could not find the original article, but a quick Google search will do the job if you're interested for more details.
I remember the band dismissing Ummagumma as well, though I'm willing to wager that's no secret in this community. 

Grantchester Meadows Ummagumma

Waters - I must say that The Final Cut means a hell of a lot more to me than Ummagumma ever did.
 Wright - 'Ummagumma' is a Cambridge expression for 'f*ck'.
 Waters - Ummagumma, yeah. What a disaster.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234