FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI have a LOT of Raccoon ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a LOT of Raccoon ideas
    Posted: March 08 2017 at 15:14
Hey guys, I have been working on some new sounds. Let me know whether you like it, or think it sounds autistic or whatever.

https://soundcloud.com/achlis/i-have-a-lot-of-raccoon-ideas
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 17:33
Raccoon ideas?   I could use you in my backyard over the summer.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 19:28
Not autistic enough imo
sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 19:44
Rats. What did you guys think of the song, independently of my obvious need for autism-based improvement?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 19:58
https://soundcloud.com/achlis/i-have-a-lot-of-raccoon-ideas
Hyperlink next time --

That aside, it's really very good despite the distortion and stuck-in-1976 sound.   You might start a jazz-fusion retrograde.   I especially like what happens at about 3:10 with the wonky rhythms.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 21:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

That aside, it's really very good despite the distortion and stuck-in-1976 sound.   You might start a jazz-fusion retrograde.   I especially like what happens at about 3:10 with the wonky rhythms.

Funnily enough, the organ-driven intro reminded me of the soundtrack to an old video game about weaponized cars in the American Southwest called Interstate '76, even though the music was more funk-driven.

I enjoyed the song, even though I generally don't go for jazzy music. There were a few piano notes around the 3 min mark that sounded off, but otherwise I found the recording to be very competent.
sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 21:08
Do you think the distortion was too much? I really like the texture that comes with that kind of lo-fi amped sound. It brings out overtones I really like, especially on rhodes and synths. The distorted soprano sax is a new thing for me, but maybe it was weird. What do you mean by stuck in 1976? There are some music circles I really like from that era and some I really don't, haha. I really don't want this to come off as Weather Report-ish (except for Jaco, but I'm nowhere near the bassist he is), or cheesy Brecker Brothers or anything. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 21:19
Originally posted by sage.judd sage.judd wrote:

Do you think the distortion was too much?

Yes.   In the words of Jeanine Pettibone, "You don't do heavy metal in Dubly", and you don't do retro-fusion without some noise filtering.   Or maybe you do, who knows.   The question is does distortion intentionally left in sound good and do your work justice?   I say no.

sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:12
What instruments did you find to be the most over-distorted? I mostly did that to try to avoid any sonic connotation with more contemporary pop-jazz stuff or soul/R&B/traditional funk. Rhodes and sax tend to do that, and it bugs me. I want it to come off very rockish, but maybe it is too forced.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:28
Hard to tell, I assumed it was the mix.  

It has to work.   If rock sounds good rumbling out of a coffee can and fusion doesn't, that must be observed.   You do have rough & edgy things like Tony Williams' Emergency!, Mahavishnu's Inner Mounting Flame, or Iceberg's Coses Nostres, but those are exceptions done by seasoned jazz-rock players.   Hell they invented it.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 22:33
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Funnily enough, the organ-driven intro reminded me of the soundtrack to an old video game about weaponized cars in the American Southwest called Interstate '76, even though the music was more funk-driven.

I used to spend hours playing Twisted Metal 2--  was I-76 a precursor?

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 23:03
I think it is good. The message in the music is that you are talented and have the potential to produce a lot of great jazz. The message that is not quite as clear is that you have a lot of raccoon ideas. In fact, the song was not long enough for you to have knocked over my garbage cans and steal the chickens eggs. 

Keep up the good work. The distortion issue sounds more like the recording than the source. Keep it and try a tad more compression on the input. Strictly a non-active hobbyist's opinion. And move the name to a more racoony song.

sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 00:00
The distortion is all artificial and created with intention for an aesthetic. I used it to make it sound as organic as possible with some grit. It's a combination of different saturation/distortion plugins and vintage compressors and whatnot. The original unaltered stems sound a lot cleaner. Especially the sax. However, the distortion gives the sax the ability to cut through big drums that it normally struggles with, and it helps it to blend texturally with the synth harmonies. Is the distortion altogether a bad choice, or would a more subtle implementation be better? What instruments would you like to see more/less/none of distortion wise? Sorry if I am spamming you guys with questions, most forums I go to are super dead. Since you guys are pretty involved listeners to good music, it's a good insight to the types of audiences I'd like to have. And I agree the song isn't very conceptually raccoony. It was more of a non-sequitur joke to entertain myself with my titles, knowing that I don't have to worry about a disappointed or super serious fan base, haha.

Edited by sage.judd - March 09 2017 at 00:16
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 08:23
More peanuts please

sage.judd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 10:35
I try to stay away from peanuts these days. I used to have a big problem, they ran my life. But, that was the old me, and my therapist and I have been working on it.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2017 at 11:25
Originally posted by sage.judd sage.judd wrote:

I try to stay away from peanuts these days. I used to have a big problem, they ran my life. But, that was the old me, and my therapist and I have been working on it.

I understand

Post Reply Post Reply