Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ELP: In Defense of Tarkus over Brain Salad Surgery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP: In Defense of Tarkus over Brain Salad Surgery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2017 at 01:17
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Two major works and why one has to be "better" than the other is beyond me.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I only feel the need to offer an apologia for Tarkus because so many people seem to think BSS is "better." It's all subjective, at the end of the day, of course.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 08:07
Originally posted by Emerlist Davjack Emerlist Davjack wrote:

Two major works and why one has to be "better" than the other is beyond me.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I only feel the need to offer an apologia for Tarkus because so many people seem to think BSS is "better." It's all subjective, at the end of the day, of course.

Agreed.

For the time it was released, I think that TARKUS is a much more important album, and its strength is it's power.

By the time of BSS, I am not sure that ELP was as important to me, as other bands were (specially in Europe), and while I do not dislike the piece and just recently listened to it again (after listening to some classical music!), and it stood up fine. But of all ELP's work, the album that hits me best ... is TARKUS ... don't tell me lies ... pound ... pound ... pound (the bass drum!), and it really tells you what ELP was about ... it wasn't just music! It was rock music at its very best!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Bilek View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2017 at 15:48

The best one stop shop is the WBMFTTSTNE live album. You get it all in one set. What a band, what a performance and all the greatest hits. 

I'd probably agree, if not for the overblown drum solo iin the middle of KE9. Don't get me wrong, I love drums (one of my top ten musicians is Christian Vander, and drumkit is the only instrument I can ever come close to playing LOL), and Palmer is a heck of a drummer, but what works as a short percussion interlude in that particular section just doesn't work as an extended drum solo (and cuts off the song's flow). I feel the same way about Ian Paice's solos in DP concerts, as much as he's in my top ten drummers list...

Two major works and why one has to be "better" than the other is beyond me. Now which is the best intro - the awesome piano riff from Tarkus or the quiet spooky thing from Karn Evil? I really wish this had been a developed piece of its own.

Amen to that. I simply can't distinguish between the two albums. In fact, I simply can't distinguish between the first five, with the possible exception of Pictures, because of relying too much on blues in places... (I could take Isle of Wight or Mar y Sol in its lieu anytime!)

Listen to Turkish psych/prog; you won't regret:
Baris Manco,Erkin Koray,Cem Karaca,Mogollar,3 Hürel,Selda,Edip Akbayram,Fikret Kizilok,Ersen (and Dadaslar) (but stick with the '70's, and 'early 80's!)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 07:18
Tarkus or Brain Salad Surgery hmmm its a question which has had a million different answer so there`s isn't a answers which will be a plus or minus to this one...  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 09:31
I think Tarkus (the song itself) as a single piece is stronger than all three impressions of Karn Evil 9.

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2017 at 15:21
They are both great. Throw in the debut and Trilogy and you've got a legendary act right there. Maybe they'll hit the Big Time at some point...
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 01:11

The best one stop shop is the WBMFTTSTNE live album. You get it all in one set. What a band, what a performance and all the greatest hits....

Eloquently stated...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 05:06
Bss is too prog just like Relayer is. Rather than having 40 minutes of strong composition, it has over pompous, over complex or over experimental plop
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 05:21
Some of us like complexity and experimentation.  Nothing can be 'too prog'.  You have dissed two of my favourite all time albums!!
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 05:52
Personally,I prefer Tarkus over BSS ... and their first album over those two. 
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2017 at 22:53
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Bss is too prog just like Relayer is. Rather than having 40 minutes of strong composition, it has over pompous, over complex or over experimental plop

So, basically Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music or Pink Floyd's "John Latham".
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 05:04
Tarkus has the title track, BSS has KE9 FI Pts 1 & 2 and TI.....the rest of the compositions are nowhere near as good as these. such inconsistency is the bain of ELP.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 15:13
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Why anybody would defend Tarkus side 2, some of the most embarrassingly terrible material ever produced by the "classic" prog era, is beyond me. Infinite Space (Conclusion) alone is so clunky and incompetent that it usually has me cracking up, and that's not mentioning those "comedic" bookend tracks. That being said, I have no bone to pick. Enjoy what you enjoy, I suppose. 

Side 2 is better than side 1. Some boring parts on side 1. Some people in here just don't have the right balance of melody, complexity and experimentation
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 15:22
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Some of us like complexity and experimentation.  Nothing can be 'too prog'.  You have dissed two of my favourite all time albums!!
Here, here, mo-fo!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123