Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLed Zeppelin IV or Moving Pictures?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Led Zeppelin IV or Moving Pictures?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [56.96%]
34 [43.04%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

and the much maligned In Through the Out Door the most.

A secret favorite album for a lot of old time fans.   Other than the fact that it's a friggin great record, I think it's appreciated as a nice change of sound, so elegant and interested in the future of rock music.

ITTOD is probably the most under rated LZ album imo. Even Presence seems to get more respect. Of course I'm not counting the albums released after the band broke up(ie Coda). I personally like ITTOD because I think they really took chances on it and really pushed their boundaries and comfort zone. I don't think any other Zeppelin album does that as much as that one does. I'm not sure it's actually my personal favorite but it's special to me the same way "Tormato" is. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:54
Moving Pictures
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 18:44
IV

lol
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 22:23
If there had been Hemispheres from Rush that would have been my choise then. But now it´s LZ IV, their greatest album with Houses of the Holy.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 22:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

and the much maligned In Through the Out Door the most.

A secret favorite album for a lot of old time fans.   Other than the fact that it's a friggin great record, I think it's appreciated as a nice change of sound, so elegant and interested in the future of rock music.

ITTOD is probably the most under rated LZ album imo. Even Presence seems to get more respect. Of course I'm not counting the albums released after the band broke up(ie Coda). I personally like ITTOD because I think they really took chances on it and really pushed their boundaries and comfort zone. I don't think any other Zeppelin album does that as much as that one does. I'm not sure it's actually my personal favorite but it's special to me the same way "Tormato" is. 
In ITTOD, specially the first side they were just so done. Second side has better songs, but still their playing is just a shadow of Presence. ITTOD is not underrated, it´s just is their worst album. Only one, who was in condition that time was John Paul Jones and you can hear it.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 01:27
^ Worst album?  Not by a long shot.   I reckon overall it's far superior to Houses in consistency & production, outdoes Coda for material, and for my taste makes Zep IV sound like a college party.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 01:33
Led Zep

tough choice :)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 01:46
I don't think Zeppelin have a 'worst' album really, all excellent in my book incl. Out Door (an highly entertaining and amusing listen).

I believe that IV is their strongest effort however.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 04:33

^ Worst album?  Not by a long shot.   I reckon overall it's far superior to Houses in consistency & production, outdoes Coda for material, and for my taste makes Zep IV sound like a college party.  

Just listened Celebration Day. There are no songs from Outdoor, so I quess that tells what they´re thinking about it themselves. All My Love is a great song, I think they should have played that. To me Out door sounds as an album that´s made by dinosaur band, there are nothing left of that powersound of Zeppelin that still was in Presence. But of course everybody´s have right to like what they want. To me their greatest albums are IV and Houses Of Holy, really love also I-III.

Reason why I bought myself Out Door as vinyl, is that I found it with reasonable price in original covers (that original paper still in it).

Edited by Mortte - March 28 2018 at 04:44
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 06:11
^ With the sleeve that reacts to water and changes colors?

Edited by Atavachron - March 28 2018 at 06:12
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 06:15
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened Celebration Day. There are no songs from Outdoor, so I quess that tells what they´re thinking about it themselves. All My Love is a great song, I think they should have played that. To me Out door sounds as an album that´s made by dinosaur band, there are nothing left of that powersound of Zeppelin that still was in Presence. But of course everybody´s have right to like what they want. To me their greatest albums are IV and Houses Of Holy, really love also I-III.

Reason why I bought myself Out Door as vinyl, is that I found it with reasonable price in original covers (that original paper still in it).

you forgot about Physical Graffiti, ton a great stuff in there
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 07:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

you forgot about Physical Graffiti, ton a great stuff in there
Third side of Physical is as great as those earlier classic albums, but first album suffers to the lenght of songs (you know they were making only one album, but when they got too much songs to one album, they decided to make some songs longer which I think was mistake). Fourth side is also quite good.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2018 at 17:16
not even close - the mighty Led Zeppelin

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2018 at 10:11
Zeppelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123