Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCelebrate 40 Years of Yes-Going for the One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 14:16
^Yanks? Would that make you an "Aussie"?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 03:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

[GFTO] really seems to polarise opinion. It's a far superior album to Tormato, which, in parts is unlistenable for me.

So true! 'Tormato' is definitely the album the band wrote "on autopilot." As stated by another earlier, "How can you say that the song 'Awaken' was written on autopilot?"
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 04:40
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

^Yanks? Would that make you an "Aussie"?

Not necessarily, but "yes".
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 04:49
^ Your locations is bit of a giveaway, except from some of the most geographically challenged who think that Melbourne must be somewhere over the rainbow rather than down under.

^^ As for Awaken, I could see how someone could think that it, as well as Yes on the rest of the album, was on autopilot. Some think it lacks originality/ find it derivative, so Yes going through the Yes Prog epic motions, seamed, and sloppy.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for Awaken, I could see how someone could think that it, as well as Yes on the rest of the album, was on autopilot. Some think it lacks originality/ find it derivative, so Yes going through the Yes Prog epic motions, seamed, and sloppy.

and you would be correct sir! LOL Doesn't mean it was a bad album.. just meant the previous albums were better.. as were the ones that followed as it seemed Yes themselves realized just what you said there and rather than become parodies of themselves as they started to become on that album.. they evolved their sound and style.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 11:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for Awaken, I could see how someone could think that it, as well as Yes on the rest of the album, was on autopilot. Some think it lacks originality/ find it derivative, so Yes going through the Yes Prog epic motions, seamed, and sloppy.

and you would be correct sir! LOL Doesn't mean it was a bad album.. just meant the previous albums were better.. as were the ones that followed as it seemed Yes themselves realized just what you said there and rather than become parodies of themselves as they started to become on that album.. they evolved their sound and style.

Yep, well said, although I still prefer Going for the One to later albums that I know. My Yes opinion is kind of strange in that I happen to love the first two albums, and although they are rated considerably lower than Going For the One, I much prefer them.

For me the album, while still enjoyable, was a step down from earlier. Incidentally, I much prefer "Eastern Number" to "Awaken", which is a bonus track on a Going for the One reissue (good bonus tracks). This I love.

maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 10:13
One of my favorite albums, certainly in my top hundred list !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12