Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThin Lizzy - Jailbreak VS Aerosmith - Rocks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak VS Aerosmith - Rocks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [57.14%]
3 [42.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak VS Aerosmith - Rocks?
    Posted: April 25 2017 at 15:54
Which album is you pick?
I like both, but Jailbreak is a slightly better album to me.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 19:39
I am a die hard Thin Lizzy fan.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 14:07
Now here's a two-album comparison I can really sink my teeth into! I've been listening to these albums for 25+ years and know them both backward and forward. Both can be ranked among the "Top 3" albums each band released, but neither is "the best" (IMO: Thin Lizzy's best is Bad Reputation, Aerosmith's is Get Your Wings).

Jailbreak is best known for the title track and the monster hit "The Boys are Back in Town", and rightfully so. Most American AOR listeners know the band by these two songs only. But if you listen to the rest of the album, there's a lot a quality, high-class material. "Angel from the Coast", "Warriors", "Fight or Fall", and "Cowboy Song" all evoke different atmospheres, but can all be considered classics. "Emerald" is the heaviest, most vicious thing the band has ever done! Only "Running Back" and "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" can be considered sub-standard, but neither one ruins the album. Back in the 1970s when bands had to release a new album every year, songs like these helped fill out an acceptable running time.

Rocks, on the other hand, did not have a huge hit, although "Back in the Saddle" and "Last Child" did receive some radio exposure. Still, EVERY song is an accidental, yet flawless miracle. While the album's production features some rough edges and intentional sloppiness (no doubt influenced by the amount of simultaneous partying), Rocks has become one of those definitive late-1970s musical statements. If someone were to ask, "What was it like back then?", one could do a lot worse than listening to this album. "Rats in the Cellar", "Combination", "Sick as a Dog", and "Nobody's Fault" should all be a lot better known than they are, and emphatically capture the zeitgeist of the times.

So, between the two, I would have to give a slight advantage to Rocks for being more definitive and more perfect than Jailbreak. Interestingly, both of these albums were followed by major blunders (Draw the Line vs Johnny the Fox, anyone?) that almost (but not quite) derailed their respective bands' careers. In closing, I would like to add that Jailbreak has the better album cover between the two, and that I will always wish that the 1979 movie "The Warriors" had a Thin Lizzy soundtrack! 
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 14:30
Rocks, Aerosmith's second best album. Draw the Line is the band's best imo.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 17:50
SERIOUSLY?!? I've been an Aerosmith fan for almost 40 years and I've never met anyone (least of all the band themselves) who liked the Draw the Line album. Even when Aerosmith was my very favorite band (circa age 15), I always viewed that album as a half-hearted attempt to stay in the public eye in the midst of dissipation and toxicity. To this day, I still like "Critical Mass" for Hamilton's bass line and its nutty, offbeat surrealism, and the title track (the live version is better!) and "Kings and Queens" are passable, but the rest is downright awful! I had to review the Wikipedia article for this album before responding because I had blotted most of it out of my (admittedly aging) memory. While the Rocks album has its moments of, shall we say, turbulence (such as the fade-out of "Get the Lead Out"), it still manages to miraculously hold together. Draw the Line never comes anywhere close to coherence, even in its best moments. Maybe it can be appreciated as an over-the-top drug dream set to music, but anything else would be pure charity. Sorry to come down hard on an album you like (I know: "To each their own") but I really was unaware that this album meant anything to anyone, even the band's most die-hard fans.
 Post Reply Post Reply