Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStoner Krautrock??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stoner Krautrock??
    Posted: April 28 2017 at 09:51
Can you recommend me any "Stoner Krautrock", Krautrock with stoner appeal (or even Stoner Rock with Krautrock appeal). Old or new?

Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up
Who watches the watcher of the skies?
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 09:58
Isn't all krautrock implicitly for stoners?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 10:03
Talk to member telestrat (Gary), he will school you on stoner rock.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 10:28
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Isn't all krautrock implicitly for stoners?

absolutely, i can attest to this personally
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 12:10
Thank you!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 12:58
I'm not sure I'd call em Krautrock but I an pretty sure I know what you're looking for:

Colour Haze
Föllakzoid
Earthless
The Future Kings Of England
Lüger
My Brother The Wind
Kungens Män
Flower Travellin' Band (Satori)
Dead Meadow
Los Natas
Papir
Stara Rzeka
Black Bombaim
Causa Sui
Electric Orange (Morbus)
Our Solar System
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 13:01
I love Krautrock a lot and would only attach the stoner label to Guru Guru. UFO has a track called "Stone In" and another "Der LSD Marcsh" so... ya.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 13:15
Stoned Jesus and Samsara Blues Experiment

andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2017 at 13:21
Ash Ra Tempel - Seven Up
I Think that only Dyzan is more psychedelic than this..
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2017 at 11:51
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm not sure I'd call em Krautrock but I an pretty sure I know what you're looking for:

Colour Haze
Föllakzoid
Earthless
Lüger
My Brother The Wind
Kungens Män
Dead Meadow
Los Natas
Papir
Stara Rzeka
Black Bombaim
Causa Sui
Electric Orange (Morbus)
Our Solar System

ClapClapClap

Many of them Im already familiar with, but thanks for the unkowns (for me).
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 00:39
Brainticket
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 03:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Colour Haze
Föllakzoid
Earthless
Lüger
My Brother The Wind
Kungens Män
Dead Meadow
Los Natas
Papir
Stara Rzeka
Black Bombaim
Causa Sui
Electric Orange (Morbus)
Our Solar System

Nice list! The Instant Classic label that brought us Stara Rzeka is full of good bands, several of which are relevant here. Check out Alameda 5, Innercity Ensemble and Merkabah:

Instant Classic Bandcamp

I also strongly rate Saagara, Waclaw Zimpel's solo album Lines, LAM and Kristen, though they don't fit this thread so well.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 30 2017 at 03:12
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:00
p.s. Gotta shout for Circle's Andexelt, too.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:12
I thought about recommending some Circle but ultimately decided not to. The krautrock thang they've got covered but I'm not sure I remember anything stoner related. Maybe I'm just decyphering stoner in my own way ie Sleep, OM, Monster Magnet and so forth.
Maybe Guillotine will be to his liking - it was my fave of theirs up until the release of Pharaoh Overlord. Haven't heard them all though - I'm not that mad (yet).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:30
^ Interesting - I have Guillotine as well, but it's never really made that much impression on me. Time to give it another spin, methinks.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 30 2017 at 06:32
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2017 at 10:27
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Stoned Jesus

Hmm we never played krautrock nor "pure" heavy psych/psych rock, but there are two jam compilation (we used those as a fundraising tool) you might call pretty trippy - "The Seeds, vol.I" and "The Seeds, vol.II"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 11:22
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Stoned Jesus

Hmm we never played krautrock nor "pure" heavy psych/psych rock, but there are two jam compilation (we used those as a fundraising tool) you might call pretty trippy - "The Seeds, vol.I" and "The Seeds, vol.II" 

ShockedShockedShockedBig smileBig smile

Thanks!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 08:45
This is a scary topic for me, mainly because I do not believe that folks have to be stoned, or drunk, in order to create something spectacular, and many a music "master" out of India (or the Far East), their ability is about to start and it is about taking you for a journey for a longer period of time, than what us rock audiences are used to, which is the 4 to 5 minute mini trip and most of us are completely afraid of extending it beyond that, if I can generalize that point, when thinking of my early days in the late 60's and early 70's when many of us were trying different things, and experiencing those moments.

To me, it is all about the trip, and the music is kind of incidental, and only augments the trip, it does not deter from it, but the real issue, as is the case in advanced work with actors on a stage, keeping the concentration for 30 minutes is hard, and it will change before 10 minutes are up! And when this happens in most music, even such that is called "krautrock" these days, it is mostly a chord change, and for me, it tends to distort and break apart the concentration, although the image and concept is right in many ways as if you turned your head to the other direction on a stage, and a different scene or point of view takes over. But it breaks the focus on "this side of things".

It's hard for me, to sit here and compare Iron Butterfly, to Guru Guru and to Amon Duul 2's early days, and then the Popol Vuh's, Tangerine Dream's and specially the Cosmic Couriers and their very well done stuff that had a fantastic feeling and continuity, that most of the so-called "krautrock" stony stuff does not.

Of all these, Guru Guru is perhaps one of the best in their first 3 albums, and specially those live albums with Ax in them ... they were insane and amazing at the same time, and when you listen to Ax's solo albums, you realize that it was all really just a fun time, and chance for the guy to do something nutz all over again ... I even wonder how many other "Marches", they put together that did not end up on tape or recorded, but usually, those things do not just happen once ... they tend to develop and continue differently over time.

In general, not a lot of the stuff I hear today would be considered anywhere near the originals, remember that they were all a lot less about "music" than they were about the feeling, and this is something that is not present in most of the examples listed here by many folks ... where the length and the music trip, to me, feels like a music graduate student playing with shapes on the staff to make the sounds and events weirder than they would normally sound to our ears. To me, that is less "music" than the one where you forget everything, and it just takes you away flowing forever during its incredible moments of lucidity ... and this is what the "hardcore" psychedelics and stoney music in those days was really about ... the trip and its deeper meaning ... and nowhere is this clearly mentioned than in the film about "The Trip" with Ken Kesey ... and the reason why most of it dies away ... amidst vague attempts at defining a human perception and experience! 

Without music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 12:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

This is a scary topic for me, mainly because I do not believe that folks have to be stoned, or drunk, in order to create something spectacular, and many a music "master" out of India (or the Far East), their ability is about to start and it is about taking you for a journey for a longer period of time, than what us rock audiences are used to, which is the 4 to 5 minute mini trip and most of us are completely afraid of extending it beyond that, if I can generalize that point, when thinking of my early days in the late 60's and early 70's when many of us were trying different things, and experiencing those moments.

To me, it is all about the trip, and the music is kind of incidental, and only augments the trip, it does not deter from it, but the real issue, as is the case in advanced work with actors on a stage, keeping the concentration for 30 minutes is hard, and it will change before 10 minutes are up! And when this happens in most music, even such that is called "krautrock" these days, it is mostly a chord change, and for me, it tends to distort and break apart the concentration, although the image and concept is right in many ways as if you turned your head to the other direction on a stage, and a different scene or point of view takes over. But it breaks the focus on "this side of things".

It's hard for me, to sit here and compare Iron Butterfly, to Guru Guru and to Amon Duul 2's early days, and then the Popol Vuh's, Tangerine Dream's and specially the Cosmic Couriers and their very well done stuff that had a fantastic feeling and continuity, that most of the so-called "krautrock" stony stuff does not.

Of all these, Guru Guru is perhaps one of the best in their first 3 albums, and specially those live albums with Ax in them ... they were insane and amazing at the same time, and when you listen to Ax's solo albums, you realize that it was all really just a fun time, and chance for the guy to do something nutz all over again ... I even wonder how many other "Marches", they put together that did not end up on tape or recorded, but usually, those things do not just happen once ... they tend to develop and continue differently over time.

In general, not a lot of the stuff I hear today would be considered anywhere near the originals, remember that they were all a lot less about "music" than they were about the feeling, and this is something that is not present in most of the examples listed here by many folks ... where the length and the music trip, to me, feels like a music graduate student playing with shapes on the staff to make the sounds and events weirder than they would normally sound to our ears. To me, that is less "music" than the one where you forget everything, and it just takes you away flowing forever during its incredible moments of lucidity ... and this is what the "hardcore" psychedelics and stoney music in those days was really about ... the trip and its deeper meaning ... and nowhere is this clearly mentioned than in the film about "The Trip" with Ken Kesey ... and the reason why most of it dies away ... amidst vague attempts at defining a human perception and experience! 

Without music!

Dude, when I posted "Stoner", it means de genre Stoner Rock: https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Stoner+Rock/

So I was specifying de "sound approach" Im looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply