Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Synthist (Jarre, Vangelis) with prog sensibilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSynthist (Jarre, Vangelis) with prog sensibilities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthist (Jarre, Vangelis) with prog sensibilities
    Posted: May 04 2017 at 04:16
Hi, I'm John Thelin. You may vaguely remember my band Somewhere for our popular "12 Days of Progmas" from a few years back.

Somewhere is actually still around, if moving very slowly for a multitude of reasons, but my creativity does not sit still, and my latest project is a fictitious early 80s German synth duo called Bildschirm. It's very obviously in the vein I call "Synthist"-  one guy with lots of analogue synths and sequencers - the touching points being Jarre and Vangelis, but also Schulze, Shreeve, Carlos, Lundsten, Carpenter, Tangerine Dream, etc. I'd even say there's a bit of Oldfield in there, in some ways.

But I think there's a clear prog sensibility to most of the Bildschirm material, in that it generally keeps moving forward, and rarely lingers on or repeats themes for very long. The exceptions to this being the two "singles" on the album Kinologie Vol. 1 - ostensibly a bunch of music that was written for or used as soundtracks (it's not - it's all part of the concept of the album). The two "mainstream" songs are shorter and have a more pop song structure of verse/chorus/verse (roughly), and they sit as the first track of each vinyl side - yes, the album is sequenced with a side A and B, of roughly 22 minutes each.

One of the kindest reviews I've had - from a die-hard prog head, no less - was "If Jean-Michel Jarre had sounded like this after Magnetic Fields, I'd still be a fan". Not that I think it sounds too much like Jarre overall myself.

So, if you like that kind of thing, please check out Bildschirm - Kinologie Vol. 1 (volume two is due this fall, or early next year)
 Post Reply Post Reply