Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNewbie here, filled with pretense and bluster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie here, filled with pretense and bluster
    Posted: May 09 2017 at 14:41
...and just a little bit of bile. Just a tad.

Hey all. I've never been part of a music community, even though my ears have been bleeding prog rock for nigh on 30 years. Thought maybe I'd make a change.

Like a lot of folks, I started out in the kiddie pool. It was all Rush, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd before the craving for complexity, novelty and challenge drove me toward more obscure avenues. I moved on to the mainstays next: Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, ELP, Camel, Frank Zappa, Marillion, Gentle Giant, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, etc before finally discovering the more extreme acts that came to really define what progressive rock means to me now. Hoyry-Kone, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Univers Zero, Magma, Koenjihyakkei, maudlin of the Well, Kayo Dot, and so on. 

Thanks to this fantastic site, I recently discovered an entire subgenre of progressive rock (Canterbury) that I had somehow missed in my youth. Or perhaps I didn't miss it, just dismissed it due to folly. If it didn't work for me then, it sure works for me now. I'll also write (excessively long winded) reviews (filled with inappropriate parentheses), so hopefully I won't be a completely worthless carcass around here. Hoping to give and get recommendations whenever possible, too. Got to stave off stagnation; it's become way too easy for me just to put on something familiar night after night when there's so many amazing new acts out there.

Anyway, that's it. Hope you'll have me. Beer

Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:05
Welcome! Always nice to have new people here. 

You should like it here seeing you've already delved further than the most obvious acts, stick around on the forum and you'll discover plenty more I guarantee.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:20
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

You should like it here seeing you've already delved further than the most obvious acts, stick around on the forum and you'll discover plenty more I guarantee.

I certainly hope so. Discovering one of those obscure rare gems that just 'clicks' on some fundamental level is addicting. Haven't had any truly significant hits in a few years, but given the crowd here, I'm sure that'll change soon. I mostly gravitate toward the outer edges of the progressive spectrum (avant garde, rio), but I do come back to the mainstream for air from time to time. In general, I don't discriminate. Open mind, will try anything and everything.
[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:30
Originally posted by UselessPassion UselessPassion wrote:

Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Discovering one of those obscure rare gems that just 'clicks' on some fundamental level is addicting. 
Same here. By getting involved in different threads and by reviewing albums, other users will get to know your tastes and you'll get to know other users who have similar tastes as well which should make you discover a bunch a new things. For now I don't have much information about you so I can't expect to hook you with specific recommendations but I see you didn't mention any bands from either Italy nor Germany in your first post. For me that's where I found the most gems. I suggest starting with Germany, listed as Krautrock in PA's subgenre, seeing you like Univers Zero and Magma. Here's a cool live performance that I repeatedly watch of one the most famous Krautrock bands:

Edited by Larkstongue41 - May 09 2017 at 15:32
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:43
Welcome aboard.
Seems like we have a lot in common music-wise but like larkstongue I too was looking for some German and Italian acts in your post. A man like yourself should enjoy the mad potatoes of say Area and Faust methinks. Anyway I've got bags of recs and love for almost anything with a bit of fire in it's tummy.
Greetings from Denmark
David
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 15:46
Yup, I'm familiar with Can. Never seen that performance though! That was great. I'll post up a big list of everything I listen to in the recommendations forum in the near future and hopefully start filling in the gaps. I used to use last.fm and just go for whatever it recommended me based on my listening habits, but I often find the best material comes from outside my comfort zone. Plus, I'm more inclined to invest effort into listening to something new when a human makes the recommendation. LOL Social conditioning, all that jazz.
[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 16:00
Great to have you, Joachim ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply