Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPenguin Cafe Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penguin Cafe Orchestra
    Posted: June 09 2017 at 12:07
I'm obsessing over Penguin Cafe Orchestra right now. I stumbled on the track "Perpetuum Mobile" by accident and I got hooked right away. The 5 PCO albums are simply magnificient and I got the 3 Penguin Cafe (PCO's leader's son's continuation) hesitantly but they are great and pay homage to the original band very well. From the first PCO album to this year's PC album, literally everything they produced leaves me in awe. Such a perfect blend of chamber jazz and classical strings arrangements with a bit of avant-pop. There are upbeat songs that make me crazy happy and other ambient contemplative pieces that make me plunge within. It's perfect atmospheric music to listen to in the background and yet it's also very rewarding when listened to attentively. I wonder if there are any people here who are as enthusiastic as I am about this band. Feel free to discuss anything related to PCO here.

Are there any bands or specific albums that could be compared to PCO? I've come to realize that the violin (especially multiple violins in unison) is my favourite instrument so any band in which violin has a central role should interest me. The overall mood/vibe sort of reminds me of Brian Eno's Another Green World and Robert Wyatt's Rock Bottom, both of which I love. Any suggestions?

Edited by Larkstongue41 - June 09 2017 at 12:08
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 12:15
You are vey right. From the first time I heard them I thought they were pure music, not giving a sh*t about genres or movements, just rhythm, melody and harmony as a means of comforting, genuine communication. I should listen to them more often.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 14:15
I was gonna make some suggestions with Youtube clips but Captcha ate my f**king post Angry Angry

So I'm just gonna sulk instead.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 15:04
The debut album is in my overall top ten; absolutely fantastic work. The next three are nowhere near as good, but are still quite enjoyable. I haven't found any other groups that replicate the same feel, although there's a group called Motherhead Bug that gets compared to them (for some reason). The closest, best album I can think of, although it's a lot more avant-garde than kitschy, is a 2001 album titled The Perfect Record For The Armchair Traveller by Armchair Traveller, but good luck finding that album anywhere. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 18:35
The North Sea Radio Orchestra has a couple of songs that remind me of the PCO. (Actually the NSRO is much more for me than PCO, but let's say I respect them and like some bits and pieces. Surely they're quite unique.)
 Post Reply Post Reply