Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIn the Wake of Poseidon: Underrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 15:17
The title track is amazingly beaituful, probably my favourite 69-72 KC track ever.

Of course ITCOTCK is a revolutionary record, a ground-breaking and genre-defining one, but that "Moonchild" noodling ("a space jam"(c)) always kills the vibe for me, as much as "Providence" does on "Red". With song-oriented material THAT strong why put such raw impros on the actual albums?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 16:13
I love the debut and the follow up plus their next five albums. I understand the "mirroring complaints" in theory but its of no relevance to me. The whole album is packed with greatness, the titletrack is beautiful and that's the stuff that matters to me. The A-side structurally resembles the A-side of In the Court? Ok, it does. But that happens all the time - why is it of such importance that a 1969 and 1970-album both starts with an aggressive tune, followed by a ballad and an stunning epic? I don't get it. 

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 16:41
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

The title track is amazingly beaituful, probably my favourite 69-72 KC track ever.

Of course ITCOTCK is a revolutionary record, a ground-breaking and genre-defining one, but that "Moonchild" noodling ("a space jam"(c)) always kills the vibe for me, as much as "Providence" does on "Red". With song-oriented material THAT strong why put such raw impros on the actual albums?

"Moonchild" is not noodling at all, as Jean and I pointed out many times. The improvisation mirrors the lyrics; you can hear the Moonchild playing hide and seek, dropping stones on the sundial, you can hear the breaking of dawn (the smile from a sunchild) and so on.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 20:45
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I love the debut and the follow up plus their next five albums. I understand the "mirroring complaints" in theory but its of no relevance to me. The whole album is packed with greatness, the titletrack is beautiful and that's the stuff that matters to me. The A-side structurally resembles the A-side of In the Court? Ok, it does. But that happens all the time - why is it of such importance that a 1969 and 1970-album both starts with an aggressive tune, followed by a ballad and an stunning epic? I don't get it. 

For me it's not so much that the second album copies the first one. It's more that every equivalent song is lesser for me than the ones on the debut. The title song I do love, but even that one is not as good as "Epitaph"... but then no other Crimson song will be as good as Epitaph for me (except perhaps Starless). The thing is, I just don't like the songs, except for the title track.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 00:41
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me it's not so much that the second album copies the first one. It's more that every equivalent song is lesser for me than the ones on the debut. The title song I do love, but even that one is not as good as "Epitaph"... but then no other Crimson song will be as good as Epitaph for me (except perhaps Starless). The thing is, I just don't like the songs, except for the title track.

There is at least one song that has no equal on ITCOTCK, and that's "Cat Food". In my opinion the best song on ITWOP. The lyrics, the quirky piano, Greg Lake bellowing out his vocal lines - just great!

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 14:10
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

"Moonchild" is not noodling at all, as Jean and I pointed out many times. The improvisation mirrors the lyrics; you can hear the Moonchild playing hide and seek, dropping stones on the sundial, you can hear the breaking of dawn (the smile from a sunchild) and so on.

Oddly enough I recall seeing a Classic Rock article where both Lake and McDonald (if memory serves me well) confirm that it was a last-minute-added jam to stretch the playing time (35 minutes for LP didn't seem enough in 1969 smh?)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 14:35
Not a go-to Crimso album for me. Lizard and Islands are surely better listens.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 15:35

Oddly enough I recall seeing a Classic Rock article where both Lake and McDonald (if memory serves me well) confirm that it was a last-minute-added jam to stretch the playing time (35 minutes for LP didn't seem enough in 1969 smh?)

That's not a contradiction at all.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 15:47
One of the reasons why 'Moonchild' is reviled (perhaps to strong a word) goes back to the first Island label vinyl pressings where there was a distinct problem with the pressing quality.. on a track with so many quiet (indeed almost silent) sections, this crackle and hiss was sadly rather invasive so lots of people skipped it. Its one (one of the few in my opinion) situations where digital transfer and restoration has allowed the original 'Improvisation/ jam' to be heard as it was intended. Many of the early Charisma lps suffered from this too.

Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 17:24
I thought we were talking about ITWOP but it's interesting to note that the first  part of Moonchild appeared on A Young Person's Guide To King Crimson. That's a weird compilation. Bought it before the days of the internet for Groon and I Talk To The Wind and to get the book back in the 70s. Peace and Cadence & Cascade are on there as well as Cat Food. So I guess Fripp thought it was better than Lizard back then. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 17:40

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There is at least one song that has no equal on ITCOTCK, and that's "Cat Food". In my opinion the best song on ITWOP. The lyrics, the quirky piano, Greg Lake bellowing out his vocal lines - just great!

Oh yeah, Cat Food is good too, specially because of Keith Tippet's piano. There's also a live version with the Wetton era line-up. It sounds stronger and heavier, with bass and drums that I like better... but sadly, of course, that outstanding piano is missing.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 21:31

Crimson was all about improvisation. Nearly all the material on ITCOCK evolved through improv. They were known for that throughout that period, later through the Lark's era too. I don't know that they did much improv in development of In the Wake of Poseidon. I've often wondered how Crimson became envy of other bands that wanted to design pre-arranged arrangements. Crimson was the antithesis of that, unless In the Wake of Poseidon spoiled their association with improv by recycling the overall countours of ITCOCK. Thinking out loud here. BTW, Providence is the best thing on Red. It reminds me of Genesis' The Waiting Room. Something in the air in '74?
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123