Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBerlin School sequencer loops - free

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berlin School sequencer loops - free
    Posted: July 06 2017 at 06:25
Something I'll be doing later.

You maaaay have noticed that I've got quite a bit of analogue synth kit. Synths and sequencers galore.

I'm going to be putting together a lot of audio files of sequencer audio in .wav format. There'll be a load of tracks about 5-10 mins long, in a specific key (say F maj) - generally 4/4, variable tempos. Think "Tangerine Dream". Set the sequencer going, piddle about with filters and empasis, etc etc. 

The intention is to produce a kind of Berlin School collection of sequenced music, downloadable for musicians who strangely don't happen to have a modular synth and analogue sequencer. This will be a commercial product but I'll make a limited free download version for PA members who send me a message. ;-)

Totally free, use it how you will, no attribution necessary but PM first and your own use only. And you get what I produce - you might want D Spanish Gypsy at 105bpm in 7/8. In which case, buy your own sequencer. ;-)

If you don't have a studio or DAW, this will be of much use to you as a chocolate teapot. 

Recording will be done through a Lexicon Omega interace and be 24 bit WAV quality. CD quality is a bit beyond my technical setup and you won't notice the difference. Whaddya want for free ? ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 06 2017 at 06:41

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 06:26
PS Bloody Captchas. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 06:34
For those who didn't read the post: don't reply to the thread saying "I wants it", drop me a PM. Or I'll forget who you are. This is all coming around later, I'm rebuilding my studio and in Cable Hades at the moment. ;-)

The free version will probably be all in the key of G, 105 BPM, 4/4, 24 bit WAV format. 5-10 minute sequences, between 4 and 16 step (although I can do up to 32 step with no problems. Just doesn't sound "Berlin School"). The commercial version will contain sequences up to 20 mins long, bring money.

The only thing I'll absolutely insist on is that the free version is *personal use only*. It'll be a private Bandcamp download only accessible by an offer code. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 06 2017 at 06:38

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 03:46
No PMs so far. I'll do the free edition if I get 24 download requests, otherwise it'll be the commercial version only. 

Close date for the offer, to concentrate your minds - 31st July 2017. 

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 18:56
You argued very passionately about the dearth of 'real' musicians and the surfeit of pre-programmed, ADD, instant gratification sample loop based bedroom keystroke virtuosos etc in this thread:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111431&PID=5472306#5472306

Yet here you are on a Progressive Rock music website peddling tempo mapped analogue synth loops. Like 'real musicians' (that we've heard of) who release sample CDs,  isn't this maybe part of the problem and not part of the solution?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 08:32
And I take it you have the luxury of actually having a modular synth, analogue sequencer, audio interface and vintage effects ? No ? 

Nor does anyone else on this forum and it's well beyond the financial capacity of most of the bands here as well. 

So everyone uses technology where they can.

As for the "loop" aspect, they're not actually loops, wrote that slightly wrong. It's a sequence in a set key a la Berlin School. Solo over the top of it. It's just a tool which, er, real musicians can actually use as well as bedroom DJ's. 

"Peddle" is a very unfortunate phrase. Spot "no cost to Prog Archive" members. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 08 2017 at 08:38

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 08:40
I'm currently doing a collaborative track with another musician. Without dropping names, quite a famous one. 

Anyway, it's a Berlin School track. We choose a time signature. We choose a tempo. We choose a key. Then we click the START on the sequencer and start recording things. This is due to living 60 miles apart. 

Then we combine each others' audio on separate tracks, fade sequences and effects in and out, solo over the top.

That's how Mike Oldfield did it, Jean Michel Jarre, Tangerine Dream etc etc. 

If I want to include, say, the sound of running water or gongs, guess what ? Sample library from the internet. I suppose, if I wanted a church bell sound, I could (by some weird logic) buy a church.

Or if I wanted the sound of a modular playing a 105 bpm 16 step sequence in G major, I could buy a modular and an analogue sequencer. 

Perhaps not, eh ? I'd rely on someone else to do it for me. 

The problem with kids in bedrooms is that a lot have no musical creativity and just use very poor loops, written by other kids in bedrooms with no creativity. The result is not worth much, musically. Results are variable as you're giving something to someone else who may use it badly. Look at all the badly used John Bonham samples, for example. 

Rewind to the start. Most people here don't have a modular synth, analogue sequencer, string synthesizers, analogue synthesizers, valve preamps and God knows what else. If someone wanted to do a collaborative track with me, great. Guess how we'd do it ? By using pre-recorded samples sent to each other, and tempo matched as well, so they actually play in time. 

One may also work out that "real musicians who release sample CDs " are doing it because none of the "fans" actually pay for any music any more. Most "fans" use sites such as Bandcamp as a free radio station. They'll quite happily play your album time and time and time again, all the way through, never buy it, but descend like locusts when a free track comes out.

So when musicians release "sample CDs" which are actually paid for by kids in bedrooms, perhaps "fans" - including all the ones off sites like Prog Archives (which Bandcamp allows me to track) should realise that musicians have to make money by some means and perhaps they should pay for music before it disappears ?

As I mentioned, I'm peddling, sorry, releasing some free stuff for musicians here who want it. More fool me, if it causes sniping from those who haven't actually thought the subject through. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 08 2017 at 10:03

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 16:17
Nah, I think 'peddle' nails it perfectly (in your case prefixed with 'back') Beer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 04:15
There's no backpedalling, it's more simply of a case of you not actually understanding what you're talking about. It seems to be quite common on the internet, Sam. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 09 2017 at 04:26

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 05:27
Offer now closed. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply