Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Music - the whitest music, ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 11:53
OK, just read the article. Jez, where do I start. Let's go with the flawed premise that rock musicians should never try to do anything outside the box. Rock music should only be short simple songs with three chords , played in 4/4 . Then King Crimson and Yes came along and ruined music with their lofty ideas until the Ramones  came and saved us from the evil that was prog rock! sh*t, is this guy kidding me!!

I have heard this rap a million times & I still don't get it. Prog pushes the envelope & yes, it can be hit & miss sometimes. For every Close to the Edge there is a Love Beach, but that's OK. When you swing for the fences you are going to strike out sometimes but it's better than bunting every time you get up to bat. 

And one more thing, Why do these guys always pick on Greg Lake's Persian Rug!!  Every time I read one of these prog-bashers they gotta bring up the damn rug. Who cares!?!

Edited by Argo2112 - November 09 2017 at 14:21
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 14:01
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That's funny you say that because I think "knots" is one of their best songs. :D To each their own I guess. 

Indeed. To me it's unlistenable I'm not a big fan anyway, but it blights what is otherwise a pretty good album IMO.

You might appreciate it more if you'd ever seen them perform Knots live like I did in '76.  4 guys singing accapella counterpoint in front of 20,000 screaming Yes fans.  That took big balls LOL 

I appreciate that it's very clever and technical, like most of their music. It just kinda makes me cringe. It would take balls perfoming it under those conditions though, I agree.. Did they go down well generally, supporting Yes?

Absolutely.  Seemed half of the crowd already knew about them and they were warmly appreciated.  On the previous West Coast US tour, Yes brought Gryphon which blew people away so the crowd was very receptive and excited to see whoever would have been opening.  No one in the small group I went with had ever heard of them, but half of us went out and bought a Gentle Giant album the next day Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - November 09 2017 at 14:03
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2017 at 22:54
Might be a lot of truth to the white men do prog thing, but no one does it better than the great David Sancious .
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 08:49
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

Prog Music - the whitest music, ever!

yeah that's the reason why Pink Floyd is not 'prog' music......... it's the pinkest music, ever! hahaha...lol
haha it's pretty funny how 'prog' has become such a meaningless and useless and vague definition these days...........

Weird ... Pink Anderson and Floyd Council were black! 

I suppose that roger's blues were as good as the originals ... who knows?

Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2017 at 17:17
I actually heard that Elric was a big fan of Hawkwind.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 19:33
Originally posted by ProcolWho? ProcolWho? wrote:

Might be a lot of truth to the white men do prog thing, but no one does it better than the great David Sancious .

Great comment!!  OP here, thanks for the input! 

OK, so perhaps culturally, prog music (especially British prog from the 1970s) was predominately white.  Big deal....rap is predominantly black, salsa is predominantly Latin etc. 

Interestingly, many of the most influential musicians in prog were hardly white....David Sancious is a great example!  Also Stanley Clarke, Chick Corea, Chester Thompson, and many more!  

Patrick Moraz's amazing solo LP "The Story of i" featured a veritable orchestra of percussionists and musicians, many of whom would not identify as "white!" 

Also, there were certain black groups from the 1970s who exhibited progressive traits....I'm thinking of Parliament/Funkadelic, who had a stage show as elaborate and over-the-top as anything by Yes or ELP! 

Happy Holidays, Charles! Clap
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 21:27
Uh...it's probably been mentioned in this thread already but my vote is for Country and Western being the 'whitest' music.....

Embarrassed

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 22:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Uh...it's probably been mentioned in this thread already but my vote is for Country and Western being the 'whitest' music.....

Embarrassed

Indiana, huh?  

LOL!!  You are probably correct, and I can't think of a musical idiom that would benefit more from input of minorities than CW.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456