Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBig Shipbuilding Science

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these songs do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [21.05%]
4 [21.05%]
11 [57.89%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Shipbuilding Science
    Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:47
I'm very sleepy, but decided to do a poll of three stylistically different 80s songs that I love: Laurie Anderson's Big Science off the same-named album; the Elvis Costello (lyrics) and Clive Langer (music) song Shipbuilding song sung by Robert Wyatt; and Cardiacs' Big Ship.

Laurie Anderson - Big Science

Cardiacs - Big Ship

Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding

Just a fanboy passin' through.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:22
not a huge fan of her's -- but liked Big Science

maybe because I met her a few times and she used to go to my gym with Lou Reed---funny to see Lou trying to work out---she seemed to take it more seriously

what she was doing on this album was typical of what downtown NYC performing artist were doing at the time

Edited by twosteves - August 16 2017 at 09:27
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 09:49
I guess Wyatt, but none are favorites. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 10:37
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

not a huge fan of her's -- but liked Big Science

maybe because I met her a few times and she used to go to my gym with Lou Reed---funny to see Lou trying to work out---she seemed to take it more seriously

what she was doing on this album was typical of what downtown NYC performing artist were doing at the time

Big Science is really the only album by Laurie Anderson that I love. NYC had a very cool performing arts scene at the time, wish I could have experienced it in person.

Very cool seeing Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson working out at the gym, I used to dream of seeing Kate Bush work out.

As for my vote, although I love all three and so probably won't vote, I lean towards Shipbuilding. I love the intimate, jazzy sound. It makes me feel like I'm in a very cool club. It was written during the Falklands War. Not long ago I was listening to the radio and the hosts were talking about their favourite songs and they played the Shipbuilding version Costello sung.

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I guess Wyatt, but none are favorites. 

It makes for kind of a creative title, I thought. If I were to list a particular favourite of each act, I might have gone with Cardiacs' "Foundling" or another off Sing to God such as "Dirty Boy" -- which is the song that turned me into a Cardiacs. I still think it's a great Cardiacs' song and may be my favourite of theirs from the 80s.

And, well, with Wyatt, I adore Wyatt and I love so much of his stuff he wrote and/or performed, but maybe something off Rock Bottom such as "Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road", or "Forest" off Cuckooland --too many albums of his I love to ever be satisfied with limited choices. And with Laurie Anderson, maybe "O Superman" or "Let X = X" off the album Big Science. I do tend to give too much weight to the style of the title and post over substance too often, which is rarely as clever or as amusing as it sounded in my head.

Ugh, Captcha doesn't want me to post. One day with smart AI, it might not seek to just see if you are a robot, but perform quality control. And being AI, it might favour the perfection of "robots". Kind of strange having a program worrying about if you are a program. Maybe we are all just programs residing in a computer simulation.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 11:42
I never got into Wyatt and this song doesn't do anything for me either.  I like the music of this Cardiacs song but not the vocals.  That leaves Laurie Anderson, to whom I have been listening for years, especially Big Science.  I have always seen the song as a parody of the banalities she speaks.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 12:51
Big Ship - on top 10 songs of all time list for me.

And this is a live video as good as any you'll find:

cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:26
I absolutely love Robert Wyatt.  Everything about him.  
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:38
I'm with you on Robert Wyatt, Cemego.

And Lewian, yeah, I think it's a great song. I like that live version, hadn't seen it, thanks. When there was that other Cardiacs' song poll and you listed that one, I really fell big for Big Ship -- you could say it was the start of a big and beautiful relationship even.

Incidentally, I thought of "Big Ship" first for the poll and the Anderson and Wyatt songs were chosen to fit with song title in aid of that not very snazzy title (from what came to mind). Glad I chose "Big Science" over "Big Willy Rides Again". :p And contrary to what I seemed to say in response to Man With Hat, as I seem to have somehow confused myself, of course I chose it as a favourite, else I would have done another topic, such as cAIRdiacs "Dirty, Sexy Boy" (a combo of Air and Cardiacs) -- I did actually consider that one.

That said, I do love all three of these tracks, and Wyatt is super special to me.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 15:00
Robert Wyatt.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 19:24
Funny I just listened to all three of those and definitely liked the middle one the best(the one with the fewest votes lol). Figures, probably means I'm not a 'true prog fan' or something like that lol. Anyway all of them were good though, for sure.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 06:54
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Funny I just listened to all three of those and definitely liked the middle one the best(the one with the fewest votes lol). Figures, probably means I'm not a 'true prog fan' or something like that lol. Anyway all of them were good though, for sure.

I don't think this really needs saying, but.... I'd say if anything it shows that you're more of a prog fan as that is the "proggiest" (oh, how some people hate that term) track of the three.

I thought that the Cardiacs song would get a fair number of votes here, even though that particular song is not as well-known as various others by them (but hey, got the youtube vids, although I'm not sure what percentage of people actually take the time check out all the music before voting). I pretty much knew that Lewian, unless not around, would vote for it, as I have him to thank for really paying attention to Big Ship, but we have had quite a few who are into the Cardiacs at the site, and quite a few who I though would dig them. My predictive capabilities are not nearly as good at this forum as in past forums I visited, which makes setting up jokes hard amongst other things.

Robert Wyatt is pretty legendary around these parts for his involvement in Soft Machine, Matching Mole, solo and other projects, and I could put him singing The Monkees' "I'm a Believer" up there and it would get votes (he sung that for Top of the Pops the year after his accident that left him wheelchair bound). Anyway, total legend of Canterbury Scene and Prog personality I'd most like to meet at a pub or meet period.

Edited by Logan - August 17 2017 at 06:55
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 07:02
Robert Wyatt takes my vote.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 08:56
Adore Wyatt, and love his version of that song, and love "Big Science", but I gave "Big Ship" another vote cause I think it's worthy of more loving in the poll. I felt like ghost voting as it commonly feels weird voting in my own polls, but thought I should be transparent with my vote, unlike a ghost that's more transparent in another way.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 09:27
The thing about Big Ship is that it didn't appear on any of their regular studio albums. Therefore it is less known than it should (it seems there's a certain disregard on PA forum for live albums). Live it has always been a favourite, as far as I know.

I love Wyatt, too, by the way, but the Big Ship is a very tough opponent indeed.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 10:05
I know it couldn't generally be as well known because of how it was released -- the Big Ship mini album only has four ratings at PA, but the later Songs for Ships and Irons compilation has 65 ratings, which makes it more rated than a great deal of the stuff I listen to in PA. Hmm, I wonder what happened to Frippism, he was a big Cardiacs supporter here, and a great person to converse with, and he reviewed Ships and Irons. Army responsibilities, perhaps.

I did know that the song is very popular live -- it became an anthemic Cardiacs song at their concerts. Loved the live track you posted. I think the song encapsulates what I love about the Cardiacs really well.

By the way, we used to have quite a few really active Cardiacs supporters here. At the sci-fi froum I frequented before I joined here, Cardiacs was also popular.

Off the Big Ship mini-album, I also love "Stone Age Dinosaurs" - Steven Wilson did a cover of it, and I feel like pitting his cover version of it against the Cardiacs original as part of a thought experiment. I don't actually own the Big Ship mini-album, and it was discontinued, but the tracks are also on the Songs for Ships and Irons compilation.

And, at least with the glories of the internet and youtube embedding I know that it's just a little better known now than it was yesterday (at least Yesesis now knows it, and even just one person hearing something I care about makes me happy, erm, unless they hate it, which is generally not so satisfying, but can be under the right circumstances).

Edited by Logan - August 17 2017 at 10:09
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 21:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I don't think this really needs saying, but.... I'd say if anything it shows that you're more of a prog fan as that is the "proggiest" (oh, how some people hate that term) track of the three.

I thought that the Cardiacs song would get a fair number of votes here, even though that particular song is not as well-known as various others by them (but hey, got the youtube vids, although I'm not sure what percentage of people actually take the time check out all the music before voting). I pretty much knew that Lewian, unless not around, would vote for it, as I have him to thank for really paying attention to Big Ship, but we have had quite a few who are into the Cardiacs at the site, and quite a few who I though would dig them. My predictive capabilities are not nearly as good at this forum as in past forums I visited, which makes setting up jokes hard amongst other things.

Robert Wyatt is pretty legendary around these parts for his involvement in Soft Machine, Matching Mole, solo and other projects, and I could put him singing The Monkees' "I'm a Believer" up there and it would get votes (he sung that for Top of the Pops the year after his accident that left him wheelchair bound). Anyway, total legend of Canterbury Scene and Prog personality I'd most like to meet at a pub or meet period.

Ok good, I feel better. I thought maybe there was something in the other two that I just wasn't hearing.. couldn't understand why the one that sounded best to me was in last place. And Soft Machine is another band I've been getting into. Started when I was recently going through my pretty big obsession with Caravan, the name Soft Machine kept coming up. So anyway now I have their first three albums plus Bundles on my mp3 player. Definitely on my short list of favorite bands atm.. very pleasing musically.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 15:07
I saw the Cardiacs live at Stonehenge festival and in Bristol; I couldn't quite decide how I felt about them then and I still cant now.. They had an intensity and energy that was lacking in just about every music genre but..

Laurie Anderson is someone have only heard on occasion and whilst enjoying and respecting what I heard, do not know enough to judge.

Robert Wyatt, I just love him and all his music. I know its not his own lyric but its such a sorrowful song which was an anthem for all the change in industry, economy and the social changes it foisted upon the working people of this country at that time.

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 17:11
Cardiacs!! love the mares nest versión of big ship
 Post Reply Post Reply