Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdrian Belew re-joins King Crimson??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adrian Belew re-joins King Crimson??
    Posted: September 04 2017 at 19:52
https://60stoday.com/2017/09/04/adrian-belew-to-rejoin-king-crimson-as-ninth-member/

Singer and guitarist Adrian Belew is going to be returning to King Crimson after leaving in 2009. The news was shared by guitarist and composer Robert Fripp on Facebook.

I, for one, thought that Adrian's release from the Crimson King was a bit brutal, although I also understood RF's desire to assemble a larger band specifically for the older catalog, which they have executed in amazing Fripp fashion!  Let's hope that some good things come out of this.  Cheers!

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 20:03
Ninth inactive member with no plans to join the line-up any time in the future but leaving the door open. Basically this is just shutting down hostilities.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 20:59
As far as I remember, it was particularly bad how Fripp announced the return of King Crimson without Belew, while he hadn't informed him in any way... he just found out by the media too. I bet that had a lot to do with the hostilities.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 21:43
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ninth inactive member with no plans to join the line-up any time in the future but leaving the door open. Basically this is just shutting down hostilities.

lolwut

oh Fripp,
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 23:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Adrian's been a "floating" guitarist his whole career, with stints including Zappa, Bowie, Talking Heads etc., so I think he'll be OK with this status.  

Who knows?  Fripp may want to follow up his successful touring of the old catalog with a revisit of Discipline era material.  Anything could happen. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 02:24
Now all we need is Bruford to become 'active' again !!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 03:44
Membership of KC was always unpredicatble. As Bruford once pointed out (and I paraphrase), if KC was still going the next day and your services were still required then you were thankful, if you weren't then it wasn't personal, it as just how Fripp organised things and your time may come again.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 15:30
Didn't Bill Bruford once say 'if I could do something that would please Robert, id be there'? That's not a quote, I just remember reading something like that somewhere (and I could have been quite a while ago..)

Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 18:11
As much as i liked the KC show at Massey Hall on July 5 for me Fripp as some sort of enigmatic lord of lords has worn thin on me. at the same time I couldn't see Belew fitting onto the retro KC show. When I saw them in the 80s and 90s ( unfortunately never saw them 72-74 ) when they played the few older tracks such as were suitable for Belew. I couldn't see Belew doing Islands or anything from Lizard and certainly not ITCOTCK. Jacko was in the Schizoid Band and was definitely more capable of doing the older material justice. They played Neurotica at the Toronto show but it was completely reworked. So I guess I agree with Bob on this one. But at the same time he didn't have to be a dickhead and not let Adrian know what he was up to because the guy contributed a lot to the band over 3 decades. I dunno, at 70 years- old maybe he could shake this supreme being emanation and come down to planet Earth a bit. We were sitting next to two younger girls and one of them actually asked me who is the old guy who doesn't seem to do anything? So there you go. I think I said that "he's the boss" or something like that.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

As much as i liked the KC show at Massey Hall on July 5 for me Fripp as some sort of enigmatic lord of lords has worn thin on me. at the same time I couldn't see Belew fitting onto the retro KC show. When I saw them in the 80s and 90s ( unfortunately never saw them 72-74 ) when they played the few older tracks such as were suitable for Belew. I couldn't see Belew doing Islands or anything from Lizard and certainly not ITCOTCK. Jacko was in the Schizoid Band and was definitely more capable of doing the older material justice. They played Neurotica at the Toronto show but it was completely reworked. So I guess I agree with Bob on this one. But at the same time he didn't have to be a dickhead and not let Adrian know what he was up to because the guy contributed a lot to the band over 3 decades. I dunno, at 70 years- old maybe he could shake this supreme being emanation and come down to planet Earth a bit. We were sitting next to two younger girls and one of them actually asked me who is the old guy who doesn't seem to do anything? So there you go. I think I said that "he's the boss" or something like that.

But Fripp was indeed playing all along the concert, only he was sitting and concentrating on his guitar, as I understand he has always done. But he was playing all those cool parts all the same.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 09:54
Hi,

I am not against seeing Adrian Belew in there, but I find it hard to get any better than they are right now, and even expecting them to do more tours ... maybe an album or so, but I think that KC is done as far as new music, and bringing Adrian back is more about doing some of the things he was a part of and add to the experience in concert ... which has been above and beyond the expectations that anyone could possibly conceive.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 12:24
If it means a new KC studio record, why not?
Chula Vista View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 12:33
This thread has made me listen to Red, Yellow, and Blue for the first time in a long while. My fave KC lineup by a wide margin.

Edited by Chula Vista - September 06 2017 at 12:34
I'd much rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2017 at 11:04
This can't be bad news and I appreciate, although of course there is a certain chance that ultimately nothing will come from this... anyway, for me Belew is a key member of KC and connected to what I consider their pinnacle. Also I can imagine him being not quite as backward looking as the current KC incarnation (I'm fine with this for the moment but I'd hope that there will be new material, too).
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 11:20
Being a die hard fan of Jakko and Adrian, I am torn and confused.  Maybe Fripp should have two distinctly different bands?  If he's unloading Jakko Jakszyk, then it better mean another Jakko solo album because I love the "Bruised Romantic Glee Club", "Are my Ears on Wrong", and "Silesia".
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2017 at 13:08
Why not have 3 guitarists to go with the 4 drummers? Jakko can sign everything through 74 & Adrian everything post 74.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
DanthraX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 11:07
I love the man, but I think with the current line up is the only way we could have this amazing re-living of the old catalog which I thought only in my wildest dreams I would be able to enjoy, with a 3CD + BluRay concert just unthinkable a couple years back. Hell, i'm even praying for a South America tour which I have a feeling it could happen soon
I look up, I'm almost blinded

by the warmth of what's inside me

and the taste that's in my soul,

but I'm dead inside as I stand alone...
 Post Reply Post Reply