Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNorth Sea Radio Orchestra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: North Sea Radio Orchestra
    Posted: September 26 2017 at 19:10
Just booked a trip to London to see North Sea Radio Orchestra & William D Drake at St Anne & St Agnes in London on November 26th. 

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2017 at 07:37
as usual, raging jealousy/envy ensues when you post your travel plans for fantastic music!  i would adore seeing North Sea live - but they will never come to the States

i need to start a meth empire or something

Though, on the other hand i'm seeing Martin Barre in scenic Natick, Massachusetts tomorrow - London eat your heart out!

Edited by Gully Foyle - September 27 2017 at 11:05
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 16:42
Just got back from my quick round trip to London for the William D Drake and North Sea Radio Orchestra. Got in on Saturday morning and spent the afternoon with my sister. We toured around a few Craft Ale pubs and had a rather good time. Sunday headed over for the gig. Met a bunch of online friends at the gig from the prog scene and Kavus & Charlie Cawood from Knifeworld (was good to meet Christian/Lewian). Certainly felt like a gathering of the tribe. Nice little church, band was at floor level so could only really see the tops of the heads of the musicians. William D Drake played with James Larcombe on Hurdygurdy and clarinet player. The sound wasn't great with some echo from the high ceiling messing with the mix but good stuff and a nice set. North Sea Radio Orchestra's sound was much better. Very much a folky chamber rock band with violin, cello, bassoon, clarinet, vibes, acoustic guitar, keys and vocal. Absolutely beautiful stuff, wonderful material delivered expertly with humor & warmth. Came away breathless at the end. Flew out Monday morning via Phillie. Tired but very happy.
Ian

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 16:47
Glad you had a good time! I wish we had been able to be there. Maybe some time in the future..
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 18:28
I love both Mr Drake and the NSRO so much! True the sound was not perfect and live it shows more that Mr Drake isn't really a proficient singer (while playing his incredible keyboard cascades) than on his albums, but I have huge respect for the man. I saw him already in Salisbury in summer and apparently every time he uses different instrumentation and plays different songs in different ways.
And the Orchestra just have the most beautiful and uplifting collection of songs of pretty much all existing bands. Pity that we didn't have more time to chat.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 18:57
Yeah, would have liked to have stayed and chatted but the weekend was catching up with me by that time (jet lag & 6 pints on Saturday will do that :) ), I got back to the hotel and conked out.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply