2 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four films from graphic novels/ a manga series
    Posted: September 30 2017 at 08:55
Okay, one is a trilogy, so it's actually six films ,but 20th Century Boys is best taken as one long film.

I was inspired by Icarium's Superman vs Batman poll and originally just thought to do Watchmen vs. v for Vendetta. I have enabled multiple choice voting in the poll.

Feel free to vote if you've only seen one of these or even if you've seen none but are interested in any of these.

I know there's one that I think would fit this poll well that I really liked and can't quite recollect right now.

And recommendations based on any of these are very welcome.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 08:58
I've only seen the first Sin City and V for Vendetta (long time ago, maybe I need to re-watch) so I can't vote. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 09:07
V for Vendetta made a big impression on me. Saw it in the cinema, have the DVD and watched it quite a few times. Feel free to vote based on any vague recollections or even based on which trailer interests you the most, if any (I never care much about actual votes in my polls, I think of it as more of an accessory to discussion).

I actually forgot about Sin City: A Dame to Kill. Never seen it, that would count to for any who know it.

Edited by Logan - September 30 2017 at 09:08
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 09:48
Sorry for the double-post, but although I think V for Vendetta the best of these and will give it a vote later, and I'll probably give Watchmen a vote too at some time (I wrote a pretty praising review on Netflix), and Sin City maybe too, I'm giving what will likely be the only vote for 20th Century Boys.

It's a Japanese film trilogy that has been panned by various critics as sloppy, overlong, and lacking character development, but I just loved it and found it great fun (can be quite gory). It helps to have some understanding of Japanese culture when watching it, methinks.   I watched the first two parts on the plane on a trip to Japan, and have watched it a few times since. It has a 33% tomatometer score and I think various critics didn't get the humour and whimsy and get too easily confused (perhaps because some of them are too busy making notes and thinking too much about it during the screening rather than just watching the dang thing -- that would help explain my so many professional critics can be so easily baffled).
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 10:02
Very hard for me to split V for Vendetta and Watchmen, those two are excellent movies. Sin City is a fun movie. Both Watchmen & Sin City really capture the graphic feel of the books.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 11:38
^ Glad to see that V for Vendetta and the Watchman both have votes. Those two are excellent films. And I agree with you too on how well Watchmen and Sin City capture the graphic feel of the books.

Incidentally, I thought about including one that I haven't seen in the poll called The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (not to be confused with the comedy the League of Gentlemen which I have seen, or with Robert Fripp's band).
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2017 at 11:42
even though panned by the critiques one could add a Leaguebof Extraordinary Gentlemen with Sean Connory in the lead, while not a steller movie, it is very entertaining and ithas Connory...

also 300 would be a good addition in this poll and Dick Tracy.

I love Sin City in how its made and how Rodriguez spared no creative energy on filmsets, this film helped to relaunch Mickey Rourkes carear whom i will always hail as the a diomand in a rough actor, when he ahines he steals the screen. Bruce Willis is at hes best and delivers a very solid jobb, so does Clive Owen, and Brittney Murphey mey her soul Rest in peace, she is sorely missed. Elijah Wood also plays pretty good. Michael Clark Duncan also Rest in peace.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 09:35
^ Good post, Icarium, thanks.

Indeed with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- I just beat you on mentioning that in this topic by a few minutes (i.e. you would have still been composing your post when I posted it). I actually did include it in this poll but removed it just before posting, partially because I haven't seen it and rarely include options I haven't seen, but also because it was, as you say, panned by critics. That shouldn't have been a good reason as there are various films I love that the critics have been hard on, including one in this poll, 20th Century Boys. At a sci-fi site I belonged to before this one, the site owner as I recall was really encouraging me to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Now that you bring it up, I will look for it (know I at least checked Netflix once without success). I have seen Dick Tracy and 300, they didn't occur to me. The 1945 Dick Tracy would be a neat one to include, methinks (personally prefer it to the 1990 film and feel its pulp noir-ish qualities fits this selection a little better). 300 has a look that makes me think it should have occurred to me.

Now I'm wishing that I had expanded this to generally noir-ish films with a fantastic element, I was wanting to include Dark City when I did this, but decided to frame it this way (could then do Alphaville and City of the Lost Children etc.). Or maybe I'll do a "City" poll. Ugh, I'm rambling again.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 15:18
Sin City
 Post Reply Post Reply