Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bands you liked but really started to dislike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:08
I did it to give the genre a chance. I do that with everything. I also subjected myself to the entire discography of Gorgoroth, and Bathory before I decided that Viking metal and Black metal were not my cup of tea lol.

I give everything a few chances before finalizing my like or dislike. Hence why I am currently working my way through the entirety of Magma's discography.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:19
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

I did it to give the genre a chance. I do that with everything. I also subjected myself to the entire discography of Gorgoroth, and Bathory before I decided that Viking metal and Black metal were not my cup of tea lol.

I give everything a few chances before finalizing my like or dislike. Hence why I am currently working my way through the entirety of Magma's discography.

Hmmm but I would think trying the highest rated albums of a few bands rather than the entire discographies of just say Gorgoroth and Bathory for black/viking is a better approach.  Also, sticking with an album for a few relistens spread out over time rather than cramming so many albums in short order gives you better odds.  I am going to go out on a limb and guess you're either downloading or using streaming services because to acquire even paid digital downloads (let alone CDs) of that much music will take a lot of time. It is tempting to get all the work of a band because you can but in my experience, very few bands make an entire discography worth listening to.  I know I am giving unsolicited suggestions here but try the classics of a lot of bands and try to find commonalities that gradually extend and expand your tastes.  Like, Iron Maiden's Aces High or Judas Priest's Freewheel Burning are pretty fast speed metal songs. From there to thrash metal is not a huge distance to traverse, really.  Something like Heathen will get you there sooner than the more violent/aggressive side of thrash metal like Slayer or Kreator. If you happen to like growls, you will easily be able to find stuff from death metal to your liking. So on and so forth.  

At a certain stage, I pulled the plug and started instead to acquire and listen to a few albums and always one at a time.  If I liked an album, I would listen to it over and over, being in no hurry to move on. I may have consumed much less music since but my 'hit rate' went up dramatically and I also find myself a lot more open minded to music, recently branching out to hip hop which I had once sworn off. Maybe because the luxury of time allows me to approach new music with a 'blank' mind and without unnecessary preconceived notions that can often get in the way.  You may well wish to type out a rebuttal to this and would be entitled to but I say, again, that I have been there before and that approach is nowhere near as enjoyable as it may appear to be.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:20
Very interesting.  You like prog.  You like metal.  But you can't get into prog metal.  The prog fans I know who don't like prog metal have no use for metal of any type.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your distaste as "blind hatred."  How on earth could one reach that conclusion after reading "I hate Progressive Metal with a burning passion unrivaled on this Earth." ???  Yeah, clearly I was reading way too much into your post?Cool
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:40
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Hmmm but I would think trying the highest rated albums of a few bands rather than the entire discographies of just say Gorgoroth and Bathory for black/viking is a better approach.  Also, sticking with an album for a few relistens spread out over time rather than cramming so many albums in short order gives you better odds.  I am going to go out on a limb and guess you're either downloading or using streaming services because to acquire even paid digital downloads (let alone CDs) of that much music will take a lot of time. It is tempting to get all the work of a band because you can but in my experience, very few bands make an entire discography worth listening to.  I know I am giving unsolicited suggestions here but try the classics of a lot of bands and try to find commonalities that gradually extend and expand your tastes.  Like, Iron Maiden's Aces High or Judas Priest's Freewheel Burning are pretty fast speed metal songs. From there to thrash metal is not a huge distance to traverse, really.  Something like Heathen will get you there sooner than the more violent/aggressive side of thrash metal like Slayer or Kreator. If you happen to like growls, you will easily be able to find stuff from death metal to your liking. So on and so forth.  

At a certain stage, I pulled the plug and started instead to acquire and listen to a few albums and always one at a time.  If I liked an album, I would listen to it over and over, being in no hurry to move on. I may have consumed much less music since but my 'hit rate' went up dramatically and I also find myself a lot more open minded to music, recently branching out to hip hop which I had once sworn off. Maybe because the luxury of time allows me to approach new music with a 'blank' mind and without unnecessary preconceived notions that can often get in the way.  You may well wish to type out a rebuttal to this and would be entitled to but I say, again, that I have been there before and that approach is nowhere near as enjoyable as it may appear to be.

I primarily use Amazon Digital music, and iTunes for collecting. There are not many albums I go out to buy physical variants of. Physically I only own the discographies of Pink Floyd, Styx, Babylon, Gypsy, Smoke Rise, Mandrake Memorial, and Gentle Giant.

And I usually start with the highest rated albums. Example: Bathory's debut eponymous album and the follow up two albums are considered paragons of Black Metal. With the discography of YES, I started with Close To the Edge (one of the most hyped).

In Iron Maiden's case, I started on Powerslave, and branched out from there. I quite enjoy every album of theirs up until SSOASS.

Styx I started with the standard Grand Illusion. Funnily enough, though, Crystal Ball ended up being my favorite.

I don't linger on albums though, because I tend to get burnt out, even if I enjoy them (there are a few exceptions, Pink Floyd, but not many).

Edited by philipemery - July 22 2018 at 10:42
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:48

And I usually start with the highest rated albums. Example: Bathory's debut eponymous album and the follow up two albums are considered paragons of Black Metal.

Sure but they aren't the ONLY ones considered the classics of black metal.  There isn't any sub genre defined by a single band with the exception of Zeuhl which is essentially a subset of RIO imo.  There's Gorgoroth, sure, but you haven't mentioned Darkthrone, Immortal, Burzum and the later ones like Marduk or Dark Funeral.  Dimmu Borgir, Rotting Christ, been a long time since I tuned into black metal but I am beginning to recall the names now. There are lots and lots of bands out there.  I can understand not liking particular sub genres very much at all (power metal mostly doesn't do it for me) but you're narrowing it down way too much when you say only hair metal does it for you.  Need I mention that there isn't exactly a lot of difference in the actual music between hair metal, pop metal and well just plain old traditional heavy metal?  Hair metal was a moniker based more on the image rather than the sound.
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:40
I did Darkthrone, Burzum, Marduk, and most of those mentioned. I was born in the 50's and have been retired for some time. I spend half of my days now just listening to music. Hence why I can work through discographies the way I do.

And I am well aware that Hair metal was a moniker. That being said it now has come to reference mostly 80's glam and pop metal bands. Stryper (up until reforming in the mid 2000's), Dokken, WASP (their really early stuff, before Blackie decided that their music needed to be manic depressive), New York Dolls, late 80's Alice Cooper, Europe, Turbo era Judas Priest, Van Halen etc.

Those are more on my side. Again there are exceptions. I have some partial feelings for Accept, Nordland era Bathory, and heck there are even a few (rare) prog metal albums I enjoy (Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time actually is my second favorite Maiden album so...). Heck, I don't even care for Power Metal, but Yngwie Malmsteen (imo) is an unparalleled god of guitar work that I can't get enough of... except when he sings in which case I worry about an aneurysm from the sheer awfulness.

The reason why it seems "narrow" is because my tastes are very particular. I have given sub genres of all kinds a try.

At this point I've listened to 100+ Prog metal albums. I've listened to 30 or so Black Metal albums. At least 50 power metal albums. At least 30 thrash metal albums.

I mean I can always go through my digital library and give you exact numbers. But it isn't like I just heard one song and was like "nope don't like it." I gave these genres all a fair shot. They just don't get me going.

Heavy metal music is just a touchy genre in general, and the sub genres rarely stick the landing for me.

Not saying there aren't gems of gold and amazing musicianship and work being done. Just saying they don't do it for me.
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 11:52
Beardfish, Pain of Salvation and Riverside come to my mind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567