Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest new music from 70’s bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 16:23
I'm a big fan of Rush's last few albums. I can really respect that they don't just play a few songs from a new album and then forget about it on following tours; there's strong material from every album that they performed regularly.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 05:01
Black Sabbath 13 was a return to early Black Sabbath form.  How Tony Iommi writes 4 killer rhythm riffs per song for every song is enormous.    

In my opinion Sparks released their best album "Hippopotamus" ever this year.   

Some folks claim Styx new album is the best album since the 70's.  I disagree.  Doesn't do anything for moi.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 25 2017 at 05:13
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 08:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^Who's on first....?   ;)

The new Wobbler is very good....but I still like Rites better. I didn't know Wetton and Banks were on it...??

I take it the didn't give it away.
I like the album as well but the joke was and still is that it sounds like Yes with John Wetton and Tony Banks joining in from time to time. The sawing buzzing Crimsonian bass antics plus that oh so recognisable melodic touch from the keys.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 09:41
The last Sparks is really good.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2017 at 18:48
I would add Biglietto Per L'Inferno, which upgraded their sound and style adding folk elements into their music, I found that really admirable, both their comeback albums are excellent especially Tra L'Assurdo E La Ragione.

Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno also released a great album in 2010.

And of course one of my favorite comeback albums is by Moving Gelatine Plates, Removing is really really good!
While still maintaining their trademark humoristic style the music is just a little different now, less experimental but compensated with excllent songwriting, very recommended.

There are more which I can't think of now...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 02:07
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I expect Viljans Oga (Anglagard) will get some votes here but I was less than convinced myself.

Well, Anglagard are not a seventies band, much as one might think so to listen to them , so they are strictly outside scope here. I do like VO, but having seen the ‘making of’ documentary it could have been so much more than it is.

Yep I realised that as soon as I posted but thought I will let someone else correct meSmile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 02:12
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me Oldfield's "Return to Ommadawn" is just as great as his 70's albums, and that's saying a lot, since he has become one of my very favourite artists (because of his 70's work, of course).

I though he did well not to clutter the album too much. It breathes nicely. I will dig that one out today for another listen.

Have you heard Rob Reed's recent attempts to imitate the great man? 

Edited by richardh - November 26 2017 at 02:12
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 21:49

For me Oldfield's "Return to Ommadawn" is just as great as his 70's albums, and that's saying a lot, since he has become one of my very favourite artists (because of his 70's work, of course).

I though he did well not to clutter the album too much. It breathes nicely. I will dig that one out today for another listen.

No, I'm afraid I don't know Rob Reed. Though "attempt to imitate" doesn't sound very promising to try him out. I may like when a band goes after a style used by a previous band (such as Big Big Train, specially with English Electric, and the Genesis sounding music they did), as long as they have the talent to create their own original music of quality. But an attempt to imitate sounds like doing things by the numbers.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2017 at 16:34

No, I'm afraid I don't know Rob Reed. Though "attempt to imitate" doesn't sound very promising to try him out. I may like when a band goes after a style used by a previous band (such as Big Big Train, specially with English Electric, and the Genesis sounding music they did), as long as they have the talent to create their own original music of quality. But an attempt to imitate sounds like doing things by the numbers.

yep that is pretty much what he did

Rob Reed is the keyboard player and main writer for the Welsh prog band Magenta. To be fair, their latest release We Are Legend is a cracking good album and could well end up top of my list of 2017 albums. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12