Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite Rock Songs of 2017?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Rock Songs of 2017?
    Posted: November 20 2017 at 09:20
I thought 2016 was pretty dire in terms of rock music, but this year has turned out to be quite a rebound, in my opinion.

Some of my favorite tunes this year include The War on Drugs' Holding On, LCD Soundystem's Call the Police and American Dream (the whole album's brilliant), Black Grape's Nine Lives, Kasabian's I'm in Love with a Psycho (an excellent album overall), Kurt Vile & Courtney Barnett's Over Everything, The Killers' The Man, Wolf Alice's Don't Delete the Kisses & Beautifully Unconventional, Stereophonics' All in One Night, Father John Misty's Ballad of the Dying Man, Superfood's I Can't See, Paul Weller's The Cranes Are Back, Pond's Paint Me Silver, Squeeze's Darparture Lounge, Foxygen's Follow the Leader, Greta Van Fleet's Highway Tune, Baxter Dury's Miami, Ryan Adams' Anything I Say to You Now, Destroyer's Tinseltown's Swimming in Blood... and so many more - excellent stuff from Robert Plant, The Horrors, Mogwai, Neil Finn...

Really, 2017's been a quietly amazing year for rock's comeback.

What were your favorite songs from the rock genre this past year?

[BTW, I created a Spotify playlist called "My 50 Favorite Rock Songs of 2017", if anyone's interested - https://open.spotify.com/user/1265405956/playlist/3Uab8eiRRVdBSr7UPmx0hd ]
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 10:10
I have developed this strange craving for John Maus' Touchdown. I need to hear it at least twice a day. It has the potential to become the next big NFL anthem methinks. So memorable, bumpy, funky and 80s quirky in all the right places.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 10:15
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I have developed this strange craving for John Maus' Touchdown. I need to hear it at least twice a day. It has the potential to become the next big NFL anthem methinks. So memorable, bumpy, funky and 80s quirky in all the right places.

I was listening to that album the other day. It has such an unusual sound. Like an 80s John Carpenter horror flick. Somehow I don't think the NFL will be featuring this song LOLLOLLOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 10:29
I think it is what the youngins today call 'hypnagogic pop' which just is a euphemism for retro sounding contemporary music. Whatever the tag I dig it. It is very obvious he learned the trade in Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti though - s'got that same wonky jive to it.
Don't knock its chances in the NFL. They already have some Primal Scream up in that mother and they were never that mainstream
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 10:39
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Don't knock its chances in the NFL. They already have some Primal Scream up in that mother and they were never that mainstream

Wow, really? I guess I'm behind the times. I think the only NFL game I've watched in a decade was last year's improbably Super Bowl LOL

Yes, retro is definitely the thing right now, but somehow they're finding ways to push it forward, which is really exciting:)
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2017 at 07:49
Birds of Prey by Deep Purple. 
I'll listen to some of the stuff mentioned, but it is too hard to equal a prog masterpiece by a legendary band!
 Post Reply Post Reply