30 [69.77%]
8 [18.60%]
5 [11.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 10:04
^^ By no means is Steely Dan a dead serious type of band and certainly songs like Everything You Did are very funny. But it's more subtle/wry kind of humour while Sparks is outrageous. Different approaches and both work for me.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:48
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^ By no means is Steely Dan a dead serious type of band and certainly songs like Everything You Did are very funny. But it's more subtle/wry kind of humour while Sparks is outrageous. Different approaches and both work for me.

I freely admit that I respond more absurdist, Dadaesque humor, but Ron Mael's songs could be quite subtle.  All You Ever Think About is Sex starts with a funny catalog of places the narrator and his lover got caught "doing it" but then it shifts to a minor key and the lyric is:  "In a world of lovers, we don't love each other much;  Fact is we're too busy to love each other much."  Which is a rather melancholy way to conclude a funny song.  Ron often makes you think.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 14:51
I find that Steely Dans biting irony and lyrics def have humor in it. Like satire, its tickling, observant and the way Fagen phraces and accents certain sylables def goes in the comedic category. In Seinfeld type of observational comedy.

Edited by Icarium - February 19 2018 at 14:52
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 18:16
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">
<font style=": rgb255, 255, 255;">I freely admit that I respond more absurdist, Dadaesque humor, but Ron Mael's songs could be quite subtle.  All You Ever Think About is Sex starts with a funny catalog of places the narrator and his lover got caught "doing it" but then it shifts to a minor key and the lyric is:  "In a world of lovers, we don't love each other much;  Fact is we're too busy to love each other much."  Which is a rather melancholy way to conclude a funny song.  Ron often makes you think.

Didn't mean to say that Sparks are NEVER subtle. But the outrageousness is right on the surface, both in the lyrics as well as the music. So it's a hook which Steely Dan don't have. I got into Sparks right away but with Steely Dan I had to persist. Both the beauty of their arrangements as well as their humour took some time to reveal their full splendour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123