Topic ClosedHouse prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: House prices
    Posted: February 16 2018 at 07:36
Given the current average house prices in the UK, especially in the South-East, does this really come as a massive surprise to anyone?

I have no idea how my children will be able to afford to buy their own house without my help.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 07:47
Supply and demand.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 08:11
^ It's more complex than just simple supply and demand although that is definately the major factor. Each country that engages in Keynesian economics experiences market manipulations by the state due to the destructive effects of bubbles occurring in the imperfect system (the reason we have total economic collapses that need to be bailed out). It also encourages speculation in housing prices which means investors buy up properties and hold onto them so they can unload them at peak price spikes. In effect, there are a minority of wealthy elites who own a majority of the property on the market alongside a huge number of those who don't with the most vulnerable of society finding themselves unable to sustain any sort of housing at all. I've taken a great interest in these things since the 2008 financial collapse and it all makes sense once the invisible mechanisms of control are exposed. The housing game is much like the stock market in many ways these days as legal protections have been eroded in many Western countries in the last 50 years.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 08:36
The ambition of homeownership will be a thing of the past very soon in the UK and we'll move to a rental model. Home ownership will be very much an elitist concept in the years to come, and only top earners will be buying property, and much of that will be to rent out to the rest of us at very great cost.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2018 at 11:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

The ambition of homeownership will be a thing of the past very soon in the UK and we'll move to a rental model. Home ownership will be very much an elitist concept in the years to come, and only top earners will be buying property, and much of that will be to rent out to the rest of us at very great cost.

Yep, it's certainly heading that way. I think I read the average deposit required was around £36,000. The only way I can see my sons having that kind of money in a reasonable amount of time is if I sell our house, downsize/move somewhere cheaper and give them the money left over.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 15:18
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ It's more complex than just simple supply and demand although that is definately the major factor. Each country that engages in Keynesian economics experiences market manipulations by the state due to the destructive effects of bubbles occurring in the imperfect system (the reason we have total economic collapses that need to be bailed out). It also encourages speculation in housing prices which means investors buy up properties and hold onto them so they can unload them at peak price spikes. In effect, there are a minority of wealthy elites who own a majority of the property on the market alongside a huge number of those who don't with the most vulnerable of society finding themselves unable to sustain any sort of housing at all. I've taken a great interest in these things since the 2008 financial collapse and it all makes sense once the invisible mechanisms of control are exposed. The housing game is much like the stock market in many ways these days as legal protections have been eroded in many Western countries in the last 50 years.

This guy gets it.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 17:35
Simple solution! Move up to the North East of England! You'll be able to buy a Manor House for the price of a Home Counties bedsit!

Only drawback is there are hardly any jobs, all the football teams are rubbish, prog groups never seem to make it past the Midlands and we talk a bit funny - but we're a friendly lot and the scenery is breathtaking! God's own country!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 19:10
Take a look at housing prices in San Francisco and the whole Bay Area, in general.  It's absolutely ridiculous!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2018 at 20:32
^ Indeed... LOL

Vancouver here - right back at you. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 07:10
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Simple solution! Move up to the North East of England! You'll be able to buy a Manor House for the price of a Home Counties bedsit!

Only drawback is there are hardly any jobs, all the football teams are rubbish, prog groups never seem to make it past the Midlands and we talk a bit funny - but we're a friendly lot and the scenery is breathtaking! God's own country! 

I suspect that may be the long-term solution for my kids, but then that might mean the same for everyone else which will lead to a price rise in the North East as well.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2018 at 08:12
How about buying a plot of land in the woods and building a small cabin? Doesn't necessarily cost more than a few thousand pounds and you'll save a lot in heating compared to a multi-roomed house.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 05:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yep, it's certainly heading that way. I think I read the average deposit required was around £36,000. The only way I can see my sons having that kind of money in a reasonable amount of time is if I sell our house, downsize/move somewhere cheaper and give them the money left over.

I'm guessing that's a national average.

Average cost of a flat in the south east is £261,000. Even on a combined income of £54K (mortagage 3 x £54K) based on two average incomes of £27,000, you'd need a deposit of £99,000 (plus fees). I suspect this is for a two bedroom flat. A one bedroom place is more feesible as a couple, but even so on avarage wage, and with a sizeable deposit, you won't have much disposable income each month.

Edited by Blacksword - February 23 2018 at 05:31
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 14:10
Our middle Son (who is in the military) and fiancé (who's a nurse) have just got on the property ladder but that's only because the Military offer an up-front deposit that you pay back through your wages at zero % interest but even then its really high re-payments for them and I don't know how theyre going to do it. Our daughter and her kids has luckily managed to get an apartment in a charity built and owned set up which is capped at a low rent which has meant she can actually afford to go back to work full time! The other two, well god only knows...

I guess ive been lucky in some respects, ive always worked in a job that comes with a house and we were able to get a mortgage on a little terrace place and rent it out which will eventually be our retirement home when i'm no longer physically able to do what I do!

Post Reply Post Reply