Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello!
    Posted: March 01 2018 at 11:11
Finally found a place to talk music!

I'm a musician, author, backpacker... I love movies and stand-up comedy (Mort Sahl, Bill Hicks)..

When it comes to music, I'm trying to find all I can of the 60s and 70s, from any country. I tend to love Eastern music, minor-key, diminished, etc.. Usually slower paced.. I love vocalists who can sing in a high register, vibrato and falsetto. My latest kick started after someone recommended "It's Possible" by Piero Piccioni feature Catherine Howe - whose voice I absolutely love, and I love instrumentals, and found some great stuff of his.. I seem to love long songs, but not 10 minutes of 2-chords, solo turns, etc.... I will not listen to music with a drum-machine, and I'll gladly criticize my favorite band and avoid listening to it. I

I like making lists, but I doubt there's enough room, so I'll limit it to a few..

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, The Doors, Beatles , zeppelin, who, steely dan, ELO, America, Eagles, David Bowie,  Three Dog Night, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Marley, Stylistics, Stones, Hendrix

Harry and Tonto, La Strada, Nashville, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Network, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Battle of Algiers, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, A Woman Under The Influence,  Buffalo '66

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 11:40
Hi,  welcome to Prog Archives. Lots of cool people hear talking progressive rock & music in general.
 Great place to discover music you my not have heard before. Enjoy!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 11:53
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Hi,  welcome to Prog Archives. Lots of cool people hear talking progressive rock & music in general.
 Great place to discover music you my not have heard before. Enjoy!

Thank you so much! I've enjoyed SO much in this last hour - I don't think there is enough time in the day! :)

(I remember the name Vapour Trails, and I just took a listen - sounds very Steely Dan-ish, with Larry Carlton of course)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 19:19
you have some good tastes there in favorites... and yeah man.. this is THE place to discover more new stuff than you shake a stick at or possibly afford to buy haha. 

classic and modern.

welcome to the site.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 03:02
Thanks!

(Ever wake up at 4am with music overload? It's usually a song I can't get out of my head!)

I also like David Bowie,  Three Dog Night, Fleetwood Mac, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Marley, Stylistics, Stones, Hendrix, John Lennon solo, Elton John, Billy Joel, Delfonics, Jefferson Airplane, Alan Parsons Project, Cream, Genesis (Peter Gabriel era), Dire Straits, Queen, Jethro Tull, Wings, CSNY, Bee Gees, The Police, Rush, Carpenters, ABBA, Sixto Rodriguez, Eric Clapton, Dylan

I do like Camel, Triana, Catherine Howe, Piero Piccioni, Ragnorak, Spirogyra and about 50 other prog rock bands, trying to find my very best, and then try to listen chronologically.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 04:35
Welcome! A great site to join - almost troll-free too! Passionate people who will generally respect your views, but occasionally you might need a thick skin when you touch on someone's 'sacred ground' when they're not at their best. Lots of new bands and albums I've discovered over the last couple of years thanks to forum members to get me out of my comfort zone. Hope it does the same for you too!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 04:39
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Welcome! A great site to join - almost troll-free too! Passionate people who will generally respect your views, but occasionally you might need a thick skin when you touch on someone's 'sacred ground' when they're not at their best. Lots of new bands and albums I've discovered over the last couple of years thanks to forum members to get me out of my comfort zone. Hope it does the same for you too!

Thank you so much.. I'm a member of a movie board, and I like when people are passionate, and I've read a ton so far, and the place is full of so much great things... I've already heard some cool stuff, and look forward to all the sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply