Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Do You Look for in Progressive Rock/Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 20:01
Key for me is inventive musicality, which could take many different forms. I love all kinds of music, and listen to progressive forms more often simply because I find there to be disproportionately more inventive musicality among those artists that might be considered progressive than among other genres. Musicality takes so many different forms though, and there is great music in other genres too.
starless2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starless2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 20:00
With prog it can't be just weird for weirdness sake, I like song structures. I do like weirdness but with a purpose and a theme.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2018 at 22:42
^I donīt like in any music any element to be just because it have to be there. Really hate for example in todayīs electro pop that same beat sound and also autotune vocals.

Mostly weirdness is a thing that facinates me, but of course I have heard also really boring weird music. For example Throbbing Gristle.

Also, I really love mellotron, but Barcley James Harvest Once Again could have been better, if they hadnīt use mellotron as much as they used into it. But itīs not just mellotron, itīs also that too bombastic production.

Edited by Mortte - May 26 2018 at 22:45
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 07:13
Originally posted by starless2112 starless2112 wrote:

With prog it can't be just weird for weirdness sake

On a similar note, music can be experimental but the experiment has to be successful. Releasing crap in the guise of being experimental doesn't cut it for me.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 17:15
If the band can't write a decent damn song, all the 20 minute instrumental noodling doesn't mean a thing to me.

Edited by The Dark Elf - May 29 2018 at 17:15
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Loftcolour View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loftcolour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 02:18
This is a very thought-provoking thread. I spend time looking for new prog that I might like, but what am I actually looking for, beyond the name of the genre?

I guess I'm hoping for music that creates a soundscape, that creates its own world. A world where emotions and ideas surge and flow. Where the music is complex enough to embrace two or more things going on at once.

I found it interesting to think of singles from the pop world that satisfy the same itch, because it helps to isolate the things that make prog interesting. I have dozens of them and they're really varied: Sitting on the Dock of the Bay, Birdhouse in your Soul, Mony Mony, Someone Saved my Life Tonight, All These Things that I've Done... 

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 02:55
I'm not sure why I like prog. I like plenty of music that is not that complex or 'clever' but I guess it's that 'other worldly' quality in prog rock that appeals to me. It's the kind of music you may hear in a dream, and I don't always mean in a pleasant way, but it has an element of organised chaos about it, that to many ears, and in the cold light of day wouldn't make any sense.

If anyone understands what I'm saying, I'll be surprised. Good luck.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234