Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Bottom 30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progaholic3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bottom 30
    Posted: March 30 2018 at 06:04
Some of you may recall Kenny Everett's Bottom Thirty. It was broadcast in 1977 and was 30 of the most dreadful songs ever recorded - by the likes of Eamonn Andrews, Hughie Green and Jess Conrad - out of tune,  nauseatingly sentimental, songs about dying soldiers and children losing their mommies and daddies to drunken drivers.

Is it possible to have a Prog version? Bands who should know better who have produced a real stinker - think Genesis 'Whodunnit'.... there must be loads

Just a thought
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 08:53
Ok, I'll start...

ELP - Taste of my love

As many may know, they are my all time favourite band, and this is my all time most hated piece of music to ever emerge from them. I defy anyone to find a more horrendous song by a prog band. It's gotta top the list.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2018 at 10:58
How about bands that practicality put on a record everything that they write? Tons of songs that should be edited and not published are put out for the public to listen, and frankly, many of them are awe full. Buckethead is one example of this.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 16:19
From a CAMEL fan: Remote Romance stinks
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 16:39
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

From a CAMEL fan: Remote Romance stinks
Seconded.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2018 at 16:56
^yeah but I kinda like "Neon Magic"  

Edited by kenethlevine - April 01 2018 at 16:56
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 07:44
Hi,

Listening to the "Bottom 30", is a good thing.

Reminds me of the old days, when we even tuned in a station in LA (KMET I think it was!) and they were playing Dr. Demento, which, while a lousy show with a really poor personality that had no knowledge of the works at all, at least the quantity and variety of stuff was second to almost none.

I mean, even Bapu hasn't talked about "Close to You" (The Clams), or let's take a trip down Whittier Blvd, or some really odd poem by The Fool, but you had to be really stoned to enjoy that thing, though the guy himself had no sense of occasion at all.

For exceptional quality, Guy Guden of Space Pirate Radio fame, used to do special shows for Halloween and other Holidays ... and his Halloween shows were out of this world, and a whole night's worth of everything, the kitchen sink and even The Haunted House soundtrack, BACKWARDS! It also had the most music of any show I have ever heard, and I have three different years of it to prove it. 

Nowhere in radioland, or internet, has anyone EVER done something that good. But some of the stuff played, was .... ... Elmo and the Crotch-hairs?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 07:59
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Ok, I'll start...

ELP - Taste of my love

As many may know, they are my all time favourite band, and this is my all time most hated piece of music to ever emerge from them. I defy anyone to find a more horrendous song by a prog band. It's gotta top the list.

ELP are also my fave Prog Rock band and yes, Taste of My Love is toe-curlingly awful and makes Spinal Tap look scholarly :

I want to love you
Like nobody ever loved you
Get on my stallion
And we'll ride

I'm gonna love you
Like nobody ever loved you
Climb on my rocket
And we'll fly  Embarrassed

Memoirs of an Officer and A Gentleman from the same album contains the immortal couplet:

Yes it's great now you're a full-time nurse
but do be careful with the air-raids getting worse Embarrassed

BTW I think Nobody Loves You Like I Do from Greg's side of Works Volume 1 is maybe the worst song he ever wrote Dead
Progaholic3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progaholic3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 13:46
We should never forget that Focus followed up the superb Hamburger Concerto with Mother Focus which contained the hugely memorable 'I need a bathroom'!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 05:11
More Fool Me - Truly Horrible - Probably makes Taste of my love sound like a prog classic once compared. Though - I haven't heard the ELP effort.
and yes it's miles worse than whodunnit!

Edited by M27Barney - April 03 2018 at 05:13
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2018 at 09:07
Yes - Ritual

The worst track on a major prog album I can think of.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 20:39
Ritual?  More Fool Me? I actually like those tunes, even if they aren't the best one on their respective albums.

There are (many) far worse songs on the Yes albums 'Talk', 'Union' and 'Open your Eyes', and on Genesis albums like 'We Can't Dance' and 'Calling All Stations'.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2018 at 22:13
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Yes - Ritual

The worst track on a major prog album I can think of.

NOOO!!  Them's fighting words!  Here's Steve, playing his Les Paul Jr. on "Ritual" in concert in Illinois!! 

Bad Yes songs pollute the environment, believe me!!  "Circus of Heaven" comes to mind.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 09:49
Jethro Tull - Quizz Kid
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote For Nobody's Bush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 18:19
The Wright and Mason quagmired songs on Ummaguuma.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2018 at 18:32
Ritual is far from the worst Yes song. I think it's probably the best song on TFTO in fact. 

More fool me isn't bad either it just sounds out of place. So does I know what I like.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 07:38
Circus Of Heaven
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Ears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 09:02
Seamus by Pink Floyd, and it is on one of my favourite albums. 

Hot Mango Flush by Jethro Tull from J.tull Dot Com is pretty bad.

I'm Running on Big Generator by Yes is horrible, but I like much of the remainder of the album.

There are quite a few VdGG tracks, but I cannot remember the names.

I could also thrown in a lot from Can, although they were a very good live band.

Revolution No. 9 by The Beatles needs no comment.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2018 at 10:23
I don't understand why so many dislike Seamus, I think it's a funny song, at least it has always made me laugh. 
 Post Reply Post Reply