Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGhosts of Pompeii

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 09:49
Had not heard of Systems Theory, so I located some online samples on SoundCloud.  I assume you're referring to the internet-collaboration band?  I liked what I heard.  Quite a bit denser and darker than Ghosts of Pompeii, but worth another listen when I get a chance.  I'll put 'em on my list...
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^ He goes to most of the prog festivals. I always see him at Rosfest. Anyway, people(especially those on here) need to stop buying from amazon and bandcamp or whoever and start buying from him. The problem is he doesn't promote his business much(like most prog vendors don't seem to)and so hardly anyone(unless they have been buying from him for years)seems to know about synphonic. 

Also, I don't doubt he's funny but I haven't noticed it much from our conversations. 

He's just trying to keep it pro. But if you get him started (something I'm good at with people, I guess), the jokes start flying. He's not exactly known for a salty mouth, but I've said a few things over the phone that incited some name-calling all in the name of good fun. 

Yeah, he doesn't promote Syn-phonic, but in a sense, he's never really needed to. He doesn't have a presence on sites like these because he hates message boards, social media, etc.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 12:41
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Had not heard of Systems Theory, so I located some online samples on SoundCloud.  I assume you're referring to the internet-collaboration band?  I liked what I heard.  Quite a bit denser and darker than Ghosts of Pompeii, but worth another listen when I get a chance.  I'll put 'em on my list...

Systems Theory was the trio of Steven Davies-Morris (one-time manager of Under The Sun), Greg Amov and Mike Dickson, working in a capacity much like Tangerine Dream (synthesizers), with guests. Their albums are Soundtracks for Imaginary Movies and Codetalkers (IIRC, Overfulnoisecascade, remains unreleased). Greg Amov passed away in 2009. Not sure what SDM is up to at this time. Dickson is still active.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 13:26
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Yep same band. Verslibre summed it up well. Sure, not very similar to Ghosts of Pompeii but both instrumental and keyboard oriented. 

Here's the link for soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/search?q=systems%20theory

I could mention others but I'm sort of drawing a blank. I'm sure you already know about Djam Karet. Some of their stuff is ambient and soundtrackish and instrumental. 

Anyway, too bad Ghosts of Pompeii seems to be out of print. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 02 2018 at 13:33
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2018 at 13:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^ He goes to most of the prog festivals. I always see him at Rosfest. Anyway, people(especially those on here) need to stop buying from amazon and bandcamp or whoever and start buying from him. The problem is he doesn't promote his business much(like most prog vendors don't seem to)and so hardly anyone(unless they have been buying from him for years)seems to know about synphonic. 

Also, I don't doubt he's funny but I haven't noticed it much from our conversations. 

He's just trying to keep it pro. But if you get him started (something I'm good at with people, I guess), the jokes start flying. He's not exactly known for a salty mouth, but I've said a few things over the phone that incited some name-calling all in the name of good fun. 

Yeah, he doesn't promote Syn-phonic, but in a sense, he's never really needed to. He doesn't have a presence on sites like these because he hates message boards, social media, etc.

Yeah, I don't think Greg is on here. He was on progressive ears(where I was a member for a long time) briefly before they upgraded to their current site. I believe you are right that he doesn't like message boards and prog sites. I doubt he does facebook much either but don't know for sure. Well, in business 80 percent ofprofits come from 80 percent of your loyal customers(or something like that)so I'm sure he doesn't need to reach out much. He does seem to do very well at Rosfest though. I just wish he would have more "deals."

If you're interested I just noticed that synphonic has ST's "soundtrack for imaginary" movies for ten dollars(which actually is quite a deal). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 02 2018 at 13:36
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 07:37
Well, I was able to reach out to Joe Shingler, aka "Ghosts of Pompeii".  He sent me a sampler CD consisting of 17 tracks from various albums.  It's really quite interesting and well-done.  All of the music was written, arranged, performed, and produced by Joe.

I'd like to post a review, but I first have to get Ghosts of Pompeii added to PA.  First things first...  Gotta start collecting the info.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 11:31
Hmm...I'm from Indiana...lived here my whole life (northwest IN...where apparently they played also) and  went to college at IU in Bloomington in the 70's...never heard of Vesuvius......always something new to discover.

Edited by dr wu23 - April 12 2018 at 11:34
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12