Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

most eccentric/strangest prog artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:33
Ron Thal

Mike Patton
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Roger Chapman from Family. Who the heck else sang like that? :P I've heard his voice described as sounding like a goat in heat. :D 

I love Roger Chapman, one of the best singer ever!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 16:55
In Italy, Angelo Branduardi.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:52
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Angelo Branduardi.  Now that name brings back some memories of my time in Southern Italy.  "Cogli la Prima Mela".  "La Pulce d'Acqua".  "Ballo in fa Diesis Minore".  He always had some strange instruments, and I was having a hard enough time trying to understand those fast talking Southerners, but then Branduardi comes along singing in a dialect and only confused me more, but I loved his music.  Another one I remember from back then was Pino Danielle who released an album when I was there that sounded just like Steely Dan.

Edited by TCat - January 31 2019 at 18:09

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 18:06
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Angelo Branduardi.  Now that name brings back some memories of my time in Southern Italy.  "Cogli la Prima Mela".  "La Pulce d'Acqua".  There was another that I can't remember but it started like a funeral march.  He always had some strange instruments, and I was having a hard enough time trying to understand those fast talking Southerners, but then Branduardi comes along singing in a dialect and only confused me more, but I loved his music.  Another one I remember from back then was Pino Danielle who released an album when I was there that sounded just like Steely Dan.

Branduardi is a medieval bard. His compositional songs are simple: they are often nursery rhymes. But his arrangements are very artistic. He is a great virtuoso of the violin. His music brings you to the Middle Ages.
Anyway, Branduardi doesnt sing in dialect: he sing in Italian and he had an excellent diction in Italian.
Instead Pino Daniele sing in Neapolitan, the dialect of Napoli. He comes from blues, and jazz-rock. Good guitarist, good composer. He mixed blues with mediterranean melodies and Neapolitan dialet. Original.

Here the funeral march:

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 18:14

Angelo Branduardi.  Now that name brings back some memories of my time in Southern Italy.  "Cogli la Prima Mela".  "La Pulce d'Acqua".  There was another that I can't remember but it started like a funeral march.  He always had some strange instruments, and I was having a hard enough time trying to understand those fast talking Southerners, but then Branduardi comes along singing in a dialect and only confused me more, but I loved his music.  Another one I remember from back then was Pino Danielle who released an album when I was there that sounded just like Steely Dan.

Branduardi is a medieval bard. His compositional songs are simple: they are often nursery rhymes. But his arrangements are very artistic. He is a great virtuoso of the violin. His music brings you to the Middle Ages.
Anyway, Branduardi doesnt sing in dialect: he sing in Italian and he had an excellent diction in Italian.
Instead Pino Daniele sing in Neapolitan, the dialect of Napoli. He comes from blues, and jazz-rock. Good guitarist, good composer. He mixed blues with mediterranean melodies and Neapolitan dialet. Original.

Here the funeral march:

I just remembered the title and edited my post, but you beat me to it LOL.

Anyway, you are right, it was Pino Daniele that had the dialect.  I was really impressed with his musicianship and the fact that this album sounded like Steely Dan was a compliment because he did it so well.  It's been a long time, but I actually found a few used Branduardi albums when I was searching for vinyl in Toronto.  Of course I snatched them up along with a couple of Lucio Battisti albums.  I felt like a winner that day!

Edited by TCat - January 31 2019 at 18:15

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 18:22

Angelo Branduardi.  Now that name brings back some memories of my time in Southern Italy.  "Cogli la Prima Mela".  "La Pulce d'Acqua".  "Ballo in fa Diesis Minore".  He always had some strange instruments, and I was having a hard enough time trying to understand those fast talking Southerners, but then Branduardi comes along singing in a dialect and only confused me more, but I loved his music.  Another one I remember from back then was Pino Danielle who released an album when I was there that sounded just like Steely Dan.

In this song, Fou de love", Branduardi sings in a new language: a mix between Italian (and Neapolitan), 
French (Provencal), Spanish, English. 

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 06:10
I guess there is some debate on if he is "prog" or not, but my favorite eccentric is Scott Walker, especially from 1984 onward, though there are strong hints of this on his 1960s albums.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2019 at 08:29
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 07:53
Koenjihyakkei?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 08:18
MR BUNGLE!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 10:32
In his heyday...Arthur Brown (Crazy World Of and Kingdom Come...) was certainly strange and eccentric...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 14:10
moondog
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 07:57
From Gnut Gewers site, this is Arthur Brown, recalling the day he introduced Robert Calvert to Vivian Stanshall.

"I determined to introduce them. One early afternoon found me taking Robert to visit Vivian's suburban domicile "Chez Gevêra" (as Vivian's signpost announced). We entered and were met by Viv's wife who entertained us with information about Vivian's turtles.

I must preface the incident by saying that Vivian was one of the most fearlessly rude persons I have ever met. He could insult anyone deliciously, and seemed to take delight in it. Robert was no slouch in this area either. So I thought, being both artists of a like temperament, they might understand each other.

I stayed downstairs, listening to turtle-news, while Robert went up. He had been up there less than a minute when we heard a dreadful commotion.
There was the sound of breaking glass. Through the downstairs window I could see something flying across the lawn - obviously thrown through the upstairs window. Suddenly, Robert appeared, running speedily down the stairs with Vivian in close pursuit. Vivian shouted: "And don't you ever come back again!", as Robert scampered hastily down the path.
So much for artistic camaraderie!"

(They must have gotten over it, as Stanshall and Brown both appeared prominently on Calvert's first solo album)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 08:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

In his heyday...Arthur Brown (Crazy World Of and Kingdom Come...) was certainly strange and eccentric...

True dat but not really prog. Very proto though. I love that single album from the 60s.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2019 at 08:28
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

moondog

I mentioned him on the first page. 

Funny how no one  has mentioned Sun Ra yet though. I guess not typically considered prog but neither is moondog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 11 2019 at 08:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123