Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Gentle Giant record?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 14:57
the debut
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 18:18
I like Free Hand best, but everyone is different.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 18:35
They're all magical in their own way.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
deafmoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 01:30
In a Glass House followed by Octopus. However; there are songs I like from every Giant album including Giant For A Day, Missing Piece and Civilian, which many vote as their weakest. 
Deafmoon
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 19:30
I suppose if backed into a corner, I’d choose Octopus, but mainly for sentimental reasons. Three Friends, In A Glass House, The Power and the Glory, and Free Hand are also simply outstanding. Unfortunately, I don’t know their self-titled album or Acquiring The Taste too well.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 01 2018 at 19:54
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 19:55
Originally posted by Walkscore Walkscore wrote:

I like Free Hand best, but everyone is different.

+ 1      Thumbs Up
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:20
In a Glass House, followed by Oct Opus.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 11:29
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

'Acquiring the Taste' is probably my favourite at present, but all the earlier ones have their charm.
It always been my favorite with the rest of their four first just behind. Don't understand those who love their two first but not Three Friends though. It shares everything that's so wonderful about its predecessors imo. I personally include Octopus as well, but I can hear how its a transitional album and points towards their later approach. I think all of their first eight albums are worth having though. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 17:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

'Acquiring the Taste' is probably my favourite at present, but all the earlier ones have their charm.
It always been my favorite with the rest of their four first just behind. Don't understand those who love their two first but not Three Friends though. It shares everything that's so wonderful about its predecessors imo. I personally include Octopus as well, but I can hear how its a transitional album and points towards their later approach. I think all of their first eight albums are worth having though. 
Speaking as one of those who doesn't esteem Three Friends, I can give my reasons. It's always seemed to me that on 3F they made a deliberate effort to tone down the radical musical eclecticism that characterises their other early works in favour of a smoother surface and songs that are more lyric-driven character vignettes. Put another way, it seems like it was their attempt to write a Kinks album. This really wasn't their forte, IMO.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 17:15
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Speaking as one of those who doesn't esteem Three Friends, I can give my reasons. It's always seemed to me that on 3F they made a deliberate effort to tone down the radical musical eclecticism that characterises their other early works in favour of a smoother surface and songs that are more lyric-driven character vignettes. Put another way, it seems like it was their attempt to write a Kinks album. This really wasn't their forte, IMO.

Do I disagree? Of course I disagree! Three Friends and Octopus were both brilliant albums.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 01:53
The years have taught me that the three Shulman brothers era was the peak for the band's studio output.

Live Giant was another beast entirely.

But the question is which studio album and for me that would be Acquiring The Taste. Entirely remarkable work.

Edited by Frankh - June 03 2018 at 01:55
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 06:47
I remember the other thread, do not think I replied to it.

Two Gentle Giant albums that stand out and grab me are Free Hand and In A Glass House.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 16:47
"Three Friends" has always been my favorite, and was also my introduction to the band. "In a Glass House" probably second. Most of the others have stood the test of time, over three decades now.

Edited by Boojieboy - June 27 2018 at 16:48
austrianprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austrianprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2018 at 17:18
At the moment, definitely Octopus. It feels more cohesive and colourful than the rest, and it doesn't fall into the "repeat a little groove a few times, then go into the next one that has little to do with the previous"-trap like parts of the other albums. However, I feel like I haven't fully gotten into In A Glass House yet; that might catch up with Octopus or even surpass it when it finally clicks.

(The first two albums are the sound of a band in search for their sound, although AtT is far more mature than GG. TF is just a little bit too simple and rocky to be rewarding over the entire runtime. TPatG feels not connected enough for a concept album, although all tracks are very good. FH and Interview are good, but I feel that the band concept had become a bit run-of-the-mill for them: There's nothing new, and what is done is done masterfully, but without the briskness of before. I guess I don't have to say anything about the last three albums.)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 00:20
Power And The Glory (so perfect)
I also like very much Octopus (heavy!) and Freehand (quirky)
Of course everything up to Freehand is excellent although I struggle a bit with In A Glass House (where are the 'hooks'?!) and Three Friends (certainly some beautifull moments but doesn't quiet hang together as well as I would like it to)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2018 at 09:23
My preferences shift with the seasons, but IAGH is still my staple.

This time of year I find myself listening to the earlier records (GG, ATT, TF) more.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 12:04
I like them all (except Giant For A Day). I rank them thusly:

1. Free Hand
2. Octopus
3. The Power & The Glory
4. In A Glass House
5. Interview
6. Three Friends
7. Acquiring The Taste
8. Civilian
9. Debut
10. The Missing Piece
11. Giant For A Day

I'm not as big on the first three albums as a lot of GG fans. I think they hit their stride with Octopus and stayed awesome for a few years. The later stuff is not horrible (except GFAD) at all. The Missing Piece and Civilian are both very cool records...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12