Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Heat (gettin' hot 'n' heavy)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Heat (gettin' hot 'n' heavy)
    Posted: May 08 2018 at 09:55
I adore This Heat. I can't be the only one. The two proper albums are incredible.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 10:16
Not really great song writers, but I love them too. The drummer is fantastic !
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 10:32
^AGREED!! Charles Hayward is INSANE! All that bangin' around and SINGING!? What a guy!

As far as the songs go, Deceit really had the best "songs." But I wouldn't trade any of their work for more accessibility. They created such a unique and intense sound, and I think they were tuneful in their own way that really worked for them.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 10:35
One of my favorites from the post-punk era. Also, I was surprised to learn that Charles Hayward was briefly a member of Gong in 1972.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 12:06
I feel like it makes sense though, don't you think? The guy has a fondness for difficult and complex rhythms. I also get the feeling he's a big Robert Wyatt fan. Wyatt was definitely a great drummer before the accident, also played with some complex rhythms and time signatures.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 14:47
Never heard of them.......another band I need to listen to.
;0
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 15:44
The self-titled should be up my alley but never really grabbed me, but Deceit is awesome.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 16:10
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

The self-titled should be up my alley but never really grabbed me, but Deceit is awesome.

this is basically me. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 07:53
^^The first record is super difficult. I actually listened to it after I got into Deceit. I think it made more sense to me listening to it that way, but I really think that first album is so impressive too. It's so daring in its avant-garde sensibilities. The audacity to start and end the album with "Testcard"!

I really love "24 Track Loop," not so much because it's the most accessible thing on there, but because it basically invented techno and that eerie chord at the start and end of the track just kills me. It sounds like the end of a bad dream.

My other favorite moment on the album is how they end "The Fall of Saigon," with that messed up guitar building up into noise until it fades into "Testcard." It's so out there, but it feels like a film to me.

There's such drama on that record, the dynamics are incredible.

Edited by iancat87 - May 09 2018 at 07:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 07:55
I like the first record, but I don't revisit it as much I revisit Deceit. "Twilight Furniture" is the highlight for me.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:36
Originally posted by iancat87 iancat87 wrote:

I really love "24 Track Loop," not so much because it's the most accessible thing on there, but because it basically invented techno...
I well remember Mark E. Smith's disparaging comment on The Chemical Brothers: "It's just This Heat, isn't it?". He wasn't that far wrong.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:39
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I really love "24 Track Loop," not so much because it's the most accessible thing on there, but because it basically invented techno...
I well remember Mark E. Smith's disparaging comment on The Chemical Brothers: "It's just This Heat, isn't it?". He wasn't that far wrong.
lol no, that's way off.

And let's not forget about Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Edited by Polymorphia - May 09 2018 at 08:40
iancat87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iancat87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 08:44
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

lol no, that's way off.

I mean obvi Mark E. Smith was trolling a bit, that's really funny. And yeah, Kraftwerk rocks. I can't tell you how stoked I was to nab a sweet vinyl copy of Autobahn along with Music For Airports in the SAME DAY. It was glorious.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 09:05

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

lol no, that's way off.

I mean obvi Mark E. Smith was trolling a bit, that's really funny. And yeah, Kraftwerk rocks. I can't tell you how stoked I was to nab a sweet vinyl copy of Autobahn along with Music For Airports in the SAME DAY. It was glorious.
Yeah it is clearly an exaggeration (and I must confess I mainly posted it because I thought it was funny and I miss MES). But there is a nugget of truth in there, especially if you include the influence of those influenced by...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 10:04
In the right mood, it's unbeatable. A bit of an influence of mine; love 'em. Deceit is eternal. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 14:14

This Heat - Out of Cold Storage 6 x CD box set + booklet

This 6 album CD box set is currently up on Wayside at $28!! 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2018 at 23:43
^ that is indeed an outrageous price. no excuse if you want it, now is the time to get it. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2018 at 01:16
Personally, I even like better the next band of Charles Hayward: Camberwell Now :the ghost Trade. I bought that summer the Lp reissue of that punk prog album. Fantastic stuff   

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/160690-camberwell-now-the-ghost-trade
 Post Reply Post Reply