Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The court of the crimson king

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 22:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I thought the OP was asking for suggestions - records or bands that sound like ITCOTCK.
Good luck with that.

As far as its historical significance, etc. all that's been covered and everyone is correct: It IS the first Prog album. It ISN"T the first Prog album. Both are accurate statements.

Perhaps The Moody Blues? Days of Future Passed?
Because somebodies got pimples about Sgt here I am tend to agree with you.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 02:14
It never surprises me that people seem to have endless opinions/things to say on this record.

Arguably PA's most controversial discussion?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 07:39
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

It never surprises me that people seem to have endless opinions/things to say on this record.

Arguably PA's most controversial discussion?

Possibly. But, honestly, I am not sure that folks really get the history side of things, and what has created a lot of music for at least 500 years ... it wasn't just a hit out of the blocks that someone told you was the best album ... there was no such thing then, and music was carried by hum hum hum drum mouth ... until later when it started to become written and such.

As I have stated, ITCOTCK does not make a whole lot of sense, album wise, today, and most folks would ignore it and find it stuffy and every other word about it. But, it was, at the time it came out, just about everything that Sgt Peppers and Their Satanic Majesty's Soup ... would not have or say or do ... it went for the guts and gory and had lyrics for it. An anthem for the ages and all the dictators out there showing up in beautiful colored pictures on TV. An epitaph for many folks that were falling in VietNam and in the IRA conflict and many others around Europe in their own cultural revolution ... that even sparked "krautrock", is usually stated, and and above all ... we say something, and you are not listening ... words don't have meanings anymore, and people look at that song and hate it ... because it is so very true, even more so today. Moonchild deserves a look and discussion, but I think it better remain as is, because it appears to be the child of something else that we do not want to hear about or talk about ... sometimes I think this is about the "free sex" that was then, that got us a baby that many folks did not want, because that took away the fun and party atmosphere of the whole thing ... it's really scary!

No album. today, is so FULL ... unless it is lyrics and more lyrics and music that might accentuate the themes and ideas, but in general, its the same drum beat and the same style and not experimental bits and pieces in the middle that most fans nowadays do not like, or will buy.

Remember, that some of the best pieces of music that are remembered in the past 300 or 400 years, were things that a lot of folks disliked and made fun of. With that said, ITCOTCK is in very good hands ... so let some folks keep trashing it ... you're just making it better and remembered even more!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 11:19
I can only refer back to when I first heard ItCoCK and the time period itself. Hearing '21st Century Schizoid Man' for the first time was revelatory -- overwhelming in a sense. Admittedly, I was only 9 when it was released, so I remember hearing it for the first time perhaps in 1972, but that in no way diminished the song when comparing it to the Yes and Tull albums that were popular at the time. The discordant jazz elements, the squealing sax, the spitfire guitar work, it was incredible. It's one of those compositions that sticks with you through countless musical and life changes, perhaps because it is so different than even most prog music.

When one is referring to the term "prog", '21st Century Schizoid Man', 'Court of the Crimson King' and to a slightly lesser degree 'Epitaph' are indispensable when referring to the burgeoning progressivity of the early 70s. The album may have been released in '69, but it registers as a harbinger of the 70s more than what we are used to including as 1960s-stamped music (I would include Zappa's Hot Rats as an album quite foreign to the time it was released).

Other King Crimson albums may be more consistent, but none have those 3 or 4 songs that eclipse rest of Crimson's discography.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 11:47
On the local FM station in 1975, my brother guided me into album rock, and he pointed out the title track one day.  I was smitten and it changed my life and taste forever.  yes I had listened to and become a fan of some prog but nothing this epic and intense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123