Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

With or Without?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Do You Prefer Peter Gabriel With Genesis or Solo?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [22.41%]
45 [77.59%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:01
With and without.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 11:28
^are you talking about that U2-song?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:07
What do you mean?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:09
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^are you talking about that U2-song?

lol

he means he enjoys both :)
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 12:16
I like his 1st solo album, some of his 2nd, and not much else.
So I prefer his Genesis work.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 14:27
Definitely with gensis 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 15:21
A no-brainer. He created four masterpieces with Genesis.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 15:31
As a side note.....I had read that he wanted Happy The Man to be his band for his solo albums but they turned him down.....I think that would have been an interesting collaboration to see .
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

What do you mean?
Just joking. Spring has made me insane.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2018 at 13:45
I liked his first two solo albums. If they had continued along that calibre, well, the story would be a little different. As things played out the way they did, it's with Genesis.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:53
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Peter has made some really great solo songs (for example "the Family & the Fishing net) but truly great he was with Genesis.
I voted for ‘with Genesis’, but yeah, Family & the Fishing Net is masterful, and a nice blend of Old Genesis composition with his solo-era World Music, not to mention his signature fabulous lyrics.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 21:58
What an unfair poll! Gabriel on his own is completely different than when he was in Genesis. I think there should be a third option, which would be “Can’t vote! Unfair question!” Big smile
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 18:16
I absolutely adore Gabriel’s tenure with Genesis and consider it ‘the holy grail’ of progressive greatness. Of course, opinions will vary there of course! As a solo artist, Gabriel certainly made some great recordings. My favorites being Melt (Peter Gabriel 3), Security (Peter Gabriel 4), and So (yes, I also like the pop hits).

Edited by Mirror Image - June 04 2018 at 18:17
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 08:01
As great as his solo work was/is, you can't top Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England and The Lamb. No way, no how.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As a side note.....I had read that he wanted Happy The Man to be his band for his solo albums but they turned him down.....I think that would have been an interesting collaboration to see .

Hmm, interesting decision.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 10:58
I love them all but I'm one of the few who like it better when PC sang the older Genesis songs.  I enjoy PG's singing better as a solo artist
Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 16:03
Solo, but only the first 3-4 albums, and not by a wide margin.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:15
With or without Gabriel isn't really meaningful for me.  With or without Hackett is where my dividing line lies.  
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 15:37
Solo hands down. The only Gabriel-era Genesis album I really like is Selling England by the Pound - the others I can take or leave. I realize this is a highly unconventional opinion, but I think a song like "San Jacinto" runs circles around most of Peter's Genesis stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12