Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 16:23
'guy music!' -
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 12:09
For me, music listening was mostly done during my 30+ minute commute to/from work, but now I'm retired.  Since then, I put a 200GB SD card in my phone and loaded it with 420 albums (320kbps MP3s, mostly) and it's only 25% full!  Now I Bluetooth my music to the car stereo, to my home stereo, and to over-the-ear headphones.  I'm not tied down to any spot.  I can move around, do my projects, and my music is with me everywhere.  Sometimes at night I sleep with noise blocking ear canal earbuds (Klipsch) and listen to prog all night to drown out the significant-other's snoring!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 16:57
I don't have a daily commute; I just step outside my door and i'm at work..though I did listen to a lot of music in the car when I did (and occasionally still do) have to drive long distance. In recent years, the larger tractor (which I sadly don't get to use too often) has a CD player but the smaller kit or working on my own relies on my 'internal I Pod' (my brain) and I used to set myself the task of 'playing' my favourite music, particularly Tubular bells (any of the first 3 MO lps) or Suppers ready all the way through. Its a good discipline and i'm lucky to have lots of time when I can get on with a task uninterrupted. But I have noticed a tendency to either loose the thread a little or get distracted more easily.. sadly, I put this down to age.. but also I do find that I like to just listen to the birdsong etc    

scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 04:16
I wish I had more time to listen to music, especially progressive or related. I live in a busy house so I may only get a little time to myself here and there, and even then people can be so demanding. The best time for me to have good music time is on the way to work and back home with my MP3 player. Often it can be a good thing if the train is late as I get to hear more good music. Apart from that I may get a few odd tracks in whilst checking my E-Mails. I prefer the sound of my CD player to my MP3 or Computer. But using the CD player is a real rarity and treat.

At work it is demanded of us all to listen like robots to a single station which plays little music I like and mostly talks useless gibberish which I try to escape most days by wearing ear plugs or hiding the noise by heavy machine noise. But if I am really lucky I may hear the odd track from Kansas or Focus. Always the same tracks and always cut short before anything exciting happens in the music. DJ's like that should be either sacked or shot on sight.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 21:55
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

'guy music!' -

You've met my wife, then?  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 00:28
Most of my music is progressive!...  Lots of various band around the world make excellent music!.... Smile

Symphonic /Folk / Jazz/ Crossover/Blues, etc!.....

Though others include Sweet, 10cc, Godley & Creme, Supertramp ( Progressive yes! ) Enya and Kate Bush

Wink
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 15:34
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

'guy music!' -

You've met my wife, then?  

My wife is a little more prog-friendly and I've been able to drag her along to the more melodic prog concerts in the past as well as ones coming up - like Steve Hackett, Rick Wakeman, Mostly Autumn, BJH, Camel, Pink Floyd and Genesis tribute bands (I.e. Brit Floyd, Los Endos, The Musical Box) - even last Summer's Keith Emerson tribute concert. However, she needs a comfy seat and a glass of wine at the interval!
But if the music gets a bit more progressive and discordant, or the guitar or keyboard solos get a touch busy or loud, then she's usually asking for it to be turned down or for me to put my headphones on. I was playing the wonderful 'Starless' the other day and she comes into the studio asking what that racket is! C'est La Vie!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 17:06
I have a fairly long commute four days a week. Train time is music time. I have about 220GB of music on my iPad Pro, so a fair selection to choose from which is regularly added to - though the damn thing is getting full.

The big rig at home doesn't get a workout nearly as often as I'd like.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 05:41
In the car and late nights with headphones!!!
No sleep for Prog fans, I'm afraid.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2018 at 12:14
Originally posted by Jzrk Jzrk wrote:

Outside of the collaborators I wonder how listening to prog fits in with your life schedule? Work and or families and other obligations can stop the best of us from relaxing and enjoying an album...

Just to clarify...
Does this mean you believe collaborators live on Mount Progmore where we are free of jobs and families and gym workouts so we can listen to Prog 24/7?

Or did you just specifically not want to hear from us on the matter? Which is totally ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12