Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The origins of progressive rock (proto-prog)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2018 at 16:13
I suppose you're saying that prog is one of the ripples that was generated by the rock thrown at the surface of the lake?

Exactly   
jiminyCrikett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jiminyCrikett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 07:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

To Jiminy...I need to go back and listen to Clouds...I have that 2on1 cd release.....Scrapbook and Watercolour Days. I was not aware that Yes was influenced by them.

I wasn't sure where I had heard about yes and decided to do some digging...

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/interview-clouds-the-greatest-scottish-band-you-ve-never-heard-of-1-2234975

apparently A LOT of proggers loved these guys, not just Yes. And potentially stole from them. I need to listen to them more as well! Its hard to go back to the old stuff sometimes but so worth it
Albert H View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albert H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 07:09
Many British musicians would strongly argue that UK Prog began with Billy Ritchie and his band "1-2-3".  Their residency in late '66 and early '67 at the Marquee introduced musicians as diverse as Jon Anderson,  Jeff Lynne, Deep Purple, David Bowie and Keith Emerson to the idea of complex orchestrations played in extended works.

Unfortunately, there is little by way of recordings of this band - there are a couple of poor quality tape-recorded bootlegs - but they never really got into the studio in their original form.

In 1969, a change of management lead to a change of name.  They became "Clouds" and released two albums under that name.  Sadly, according to people (mostly musicians) who'd taken the time to seek them out in their original incarnation, "Clouds" was a shadow of the former band.  They allowed their management to push them into performing "more accessible", lighter "pop" material.

Billy Ritchie gave up the music business in disgust in 1972 or so. Ouch  Progressive music lost one of its greatest innovators.

It's worth reading "The ABC of 1-2-3 by Billy Ritchie himself, and  "The Story Of Clouds" by James P. Alexander.

Edited by Albert H - January 04 2019 at 07:14
"Why is it humming?"<p>
"Because it doesn't know the words"
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2019 at 07:38
Billy Ritchie invented Prog.

I've heard that before.

It's not 100% false.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234