Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gary Moore highlights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrek the Progre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gary Moore highlights?
    Posted: June 08 2018 at 15:37
I've been interested in good guitar play lately, but as a newgen scum I don't have the patience to dig too deep when it comes to discographies of non-prog, classic rock artists. I'm just interested in where his best guitar playing is at (and not so much in Thin Lizzy and etc). Anybody up to give suggestions?
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 15:56
I love his work.

I'm a huge fan of Colosseum II,  where Gary Moore was lead guitarist.  Jon Hiseman who co-founded this band after Colosseum,  sadly is very ill and I believe will not be with us much longer.   Cry

Edited by noni - June 08 2018 at 16:40
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 15:57
Gary Moore's move into blues rock was treated with much cynicism by some who knew him from his classic rock albums of the late 70s etc. The traditional blues community were equally dismissive of his entry into their world. However, in my view he won them over with a succession of great blues rock albums that displayed his skill and his true feeling for the blues.

Blues remains one of the least progressive genres, truth be told, but Gary brought a freshness as well as a nod to the greats of old, including our own Peter Green etc.

However, putting my prog hat on - I loved his fusion work with Colosseum II with the albums Electric Savage and War Dance and the quality of his playing is clear to hear if you revisit it. He was a great guitar player and it was such a shame for me to see the shadow of the man playing at the High Voltage Festival shortly before his demise. R.I.P.

^ noni - I posted a few seconds after you. I echo your views 100% and am very sad to hear about Jon's ongoing health issues.

Yes - I spotted my 'senior moment' too!

Edited by Squonk19 - June 08 2018 at 16:10
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 16:05
Gary's a mutherf*cker on guitar, one of the greats.   I second Colosseum ll, all three albums but especially the last two Electric Savage and Wardance.   Some of his solo stuff is good too but it's hit & miss.  

Few had the heart and fire for rock guitar as Moore did.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 16:42
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

^ noni - I posted a few seconds after you. I echo your views 100% and am very sad to hear about Jon's ongoing health issues.

Yes - I spotted my 'senior moment' too!

No problem!....  It's all good  Smile  Thumbs Up
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 21:43
I actually saw Gary Moore live in Tokyo at the Budokan in around '85 or '86 I think. I had Corridors of Power - I think I bought it because of the Wishing Well cover - and Run For Cover probably because Glenn Hughes was on it. I guess I was pretty into him but those were the only LPs of his I had, I would look at other ones like "Victims of the Future" but never spent the money. Not sure I would recommend the albums because stylistically you might not like them but they're probably worth a listen.

I liked the BBM album too - Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker & Gary Moore - it was kind of cool, basically Cream updated with late '80s metal lol
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 22:29
Greg Lake’s Nuclear Attack.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 05:23
Yepp hes live recordings with Jack Bruce and Ginger is so tight and inspiring
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2018 at 06:21
All I know is his work with Thin Lizzy and some of his solo albums. I remember really liking his lead guitar work on Coridoors of Power and Victims of the Future. I need to explore Colloseum more.

I'm one of those mooks who doesn't like Parisan Walkways (or whatever it's called)
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply