Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tarkus turns 47 (June 14)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tarkus turns 47 (June 14)
    Posted: June 15 2018 at 20:02
Tarkus Cake

Rachel Flowers released her performance from ProgStock 2017 to celebrate the anniversary.

Quote Forty-seven years ago today, Tarkus erupted upon an unsuspecting world. The Emerson, Lake & Palmer epic stands just as relevant today as on the day of its release, with its musical and contextual themes depicting the futility of conflict. When an enthusiastic audience at ProgStock 2017 urged Rachel to perform the 20 minute tour de force, Rachel eagerly stepped up to the challenge. Later she was heard to say, "That was fun!"

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 11:09
An excellent album, not without it's controversies (which is quite normal and expected among prog fans), but it certainly makes a point for what can be achieved when great musicians set to compose adventurous music. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 17:40
Wow! Rachel - you are a little gem!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 18:39
Wonderful !

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 21:54
Hi,

Makes me cry every time I hear this ... the pure truth that this is music of the highest order and ... deserves to be remembered and played. And in Rachel's hands, this piece is as lively and incredible as it was in the first day.

I don't think there is a higher honor that music, or a musician, can ever have in their life or legend.

I can only wish that some other "progressive music" would wake up ... and unplug ... I think that it would show a lot of people and classicists, that there are many folks in the rock areas that are much better than we give them credit  for, and that their compositional skills are excellent.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 21:57
haha we're old 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 02:39
Nice cake !! Great album too. I turned 46 June 14   
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 05:42
One of the neatest versions I've heard is the Sax 4th Avenue version. An all saxophone quartet. Couldn't find a YouTube of it to post here but worth checking out if you can find it.

Edited by JD - June 19 2018 at 05:48
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 05:46
And then there was this...

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 05:50
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

haha we're old 

We've walked the stones of years
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 05:55
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

Rachel Flowers released her performance from ProgStock 2017 to celebrate the anniversary.

Fantastic!
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scruffydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 12:26
Wow!
That Tarkus cake sure put a big smile on my face and made me giggle. It's been a hell of a day and I needed something as a pick me up and that done the trick. Thank you.

Lego Tarkus is really neat as well. Would not even know where to start to make one of those.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 12:10
Huh, and what birthday is the 47th birthday? Is it as meanful as the 40th or the 50th birthday?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 02:44
^ Y’know - June 14 is also that gender-bender Boy George’s Birthday......
Sux to June 14.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2018 at 11:11
^Well, I don't have problem with gender-benders... Even if I don't enjoy Boy George's music.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2018 at 15:13
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Wow!
That Tarkus cake sure put a big smile on my face and made me giggle. It's been a hell of a day and I needed something as a pick me up and that done the trick. Thank you.

Lego Tarkus is really neat as well. Would not even know where to start to make one of those.
How about a 3D Rendering?

Post Reply Post Reply