Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Did Genesis Call It Quits Again?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 01:24
^ nothing to be embarrassed about, I like Keep It Dark, too. One of the good songs on Abacab. 
Cord Change View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cord Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 01:39
Is this the kind of question like ‘Why did the chicken cross the road?’
Minus the h.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 03:26
Bloody ABACAB? Us purist prog rock snobs do not recognise that recording as belonging the the symphonic rock band Genesis...This is Parochial prog web site and we will have no popsters here...
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 03:42
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

^ nothing to be embarrassed about, I like Keep It Dark, too. One of the good songs on Abacab. 
Keep It Dark is a great piece, especially the chorus - Phil soars. There was s a smidge of ‘old Genesis’ in that, esp. regarding Banks’ phrasing. Abacab is NOT a bad album at all ( I used to love it, then hated it, and now appreciate it a lot, if that makes sense......??)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 04:16
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Keep It Dark is a great piece, especially the chorus - Phil soars. There was s a smidge of ‘old Genesis’ in that, esp. regarding Banks’ phrasing. Abacab is NOT a bad album at all ( I used to love it, then hated it, and now appreciate it a lot, if that makes sense......??)

Abacab is not a bad album, but it's not that good either. I do like the title track (although it's much better live), Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo/Lurker, the rest is rather average, plus there's the horrid Whodunnit. There are also the songs recorded at the same time on the Archives compilation and those are much better than most of the album (LOL) - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall (and yet Banks thought Whodunnit was worth it, a wtf moment for me to be honest). 
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:16
;)

Edited by Barbu - July 07 2018 at 20:23
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 02:17

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Abacab is not a bad album, but it's not that good either. I do like the title track (although it's much better live), Me and Sarah Jane and Dodo/Lurker, the rest is rather average, plus there's the horrid Whodunnit. There are also the songs recorded at the same time on the Archives compilation and those are much better than most of the album (LOL) - Naminanu, Submarine, You Might Recall (and yet Banks thought Whodunnit was worth it, a wtf moment for me to be honest). 

Nothing wrong with ABACAB!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 02:36
The decline in quality from wind and wuthering to ABACAB is definitely logarithmic...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2018 at 02:55
^Which is funny, because I definitely enjoy the latter more than the former. Personal preference.

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 09:20
That's not funny...subjective it may be on a general forum. But on a prog rock forum is it possible to rate ABACAB higher than wind and wuthering...that's just being a controversial arse...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 10:35
...Or you know, you genuinely, like, enjoy the sound of one record more than another...precluding genre judgement all together.

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - July 09 2018 at 10:55

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 12:20
So do you rate all of the post Hackett Genesis to be superior to those releases before Hackett left? I'm genuinely surprised that the last symphonic prog release would not titilate you if you liked the Gabriel era releases. I see from other posts that you do like Gabriel era Genesis. Which reinforces my surprise that the 1977 effort is not appealing!

Edited by M27Barney - July 09 2018 at 12:35
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 12:23
I mean to say compare me and Sarah Jane to blood on the rooftops? And ABACAB with one for the vine?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 13:38
No, I don't rate all post-Hackett stuff as better. There's little bits here and there I enjoy more than some of the latter Hackett-era stuff, however. Obviously they all have their places, my man. My ears quite literally just enjoy one more than the other. 

I'm a massive fan of Gabriel-era Genesis. There's an undeniable drop in quality; I'm not arguing that. My ears just prefer more straightforward stuff with Collins sometimes (I'm also a fan of his solo stuff, so it shouldn't come as a surprise).

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2018 at 13:46
On a personal note. I do have ABACAB and Duke and ATTWT in my CD collection....but when choosing a CD to SPIN I have 1000 better options to listen to....You need a bigger collection 😃
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 07:34
Unlike Yes--I like all periods Genesis --it's obvious that the Gabriel Hackett era they made some of the best prog ever recorded----But Abacab is fine up until right after Dodo---but then it sort falls off a cliff. And I don't think the 3 of them made any perfect record there were great songs but very mediocre ones too on all the Collins Banks Rutherford albums. Duke came close but still not perfect like Trick of Tail or SEBTP.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 09:51
Genesis called it quits because:

NO PHIL, NO GENESIS
Ron Party View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Party Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 15:51

Edited by Ron Party - July 14 2018 at 15:54
Ron Party View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Party Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 15:52
Two bands who come to mind -- I'm sure there are others -- should have changed their name following the departure of their respective Peters, i.e., Peter Gabriel and Peter Green.

Edited by Ron Party - July 14 2018 at 15:55
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2018 at 17:48
Yes should have changed their name to Cinema for their 90125 era. It would have saved a lot of hassle and recriminations and prog forum discussions!

Not sure about Genesis changing their name after Gabriel or Hackett left. Maybe an idea would have been to have followed the example of the huge brewers of our American cousins and called themselves 'Genesis-Lite'!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234