Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reggae/Dub in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 01:10
Quantum Fantay have a lot of reggae, and even if in prog-related, the coda of "Cruise" by David Gilmour is nothing else than reggae.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 02:43
Space dub:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 03:28
Material / Laswell ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiuNtWxGWBM&t=222s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SzZ2lP1RFk
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 03:45
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Space dub:

How's that one coming along Simon? I remember you having a hard time getting into it.
I think I know why I instantly fell in love with it: it was one of the first albums I tried with planar headphones and it was unlike anything else I'd tried before. The bass just blew me straight through the room and there was a liquid and live feel that felt instantly captivating.
Couple that together with those infernal discs in my back and an incessant search for chillax music and I swallowed up the Gaudi whole. There is more to this release though than what immediately jumps in your ear. I find all the swirling and zipping synths happening in the semi-background to be very pleasing together with the walloping and groovy bass lines.
Maybe you should you should sell one of those Sennheisers and get yourself a planar. May just be a tad much work in order to get into an album but I bet Gaudi would approve

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 27 2018 at 03:50
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2018 at 14:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Space dub:

How's that one coming along Simon? I remember you having a hard time getting into it.
I think I know why I instantly fell in love with it: it was one of the first albums I tried with planar headphones and it was unlike anything else I'd tried before. The bass just blew me straight through the room and there was a liquid and live feel that felt instantly captivating.
Couple that together with those infernal discs in my back and an incessant search for chillax music and I swallowed up the Gaudi whole. There is more to this release though than what immediately jumps in your ear. I find all the swirling and zipping synths happening in the semi-background to be very pleasing together with the walloping and groovy bass lines.
Maybe you should you should sell one of those Sennheisers and get yourself a planar. May just be a tad much work in order to get into an album but I bet Gaudi would approve

I meant to reply to this ages ago but got distracted...sorry David

Well the Gaudi stuff has actually grown on me, over time - he certainly knows how to build everyhing up from the bassline, and like you say there are some layers to this beast. I just have to be in a certain mood to let it soak into my cortex...I hope you are getting some relief from your (spinal) discs. I wonder if you've come across Samuel Hallkvist on your aural travels? I find his Variety of Live to be another good album if I want the audio equivalent of a relaxing bath and a massage...

You are like a devil on my shoulder whispering of planar headphones...a devil with a small pair of horns and a large pair of Hifimans

Edited by Mascodagama - August 09 2018 at 14:26
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 04:33
Seems like I'm just as bad at getting back to you...but I'm glad I remembered about this thread as my back has been excrutiatingly painful the last couple of weeks. I did find some better weed to counter this but I can always use more music that puts my muscles at ease...dub will most certainly do that. Samuel Hallkvist is unknown to me but I gather I will be checking him out asap. Thanks buddy!

I know and I'm sorry. I just feel every music lover, who also happens to use headphones 90% of their time, should at least try a planar headphone once in their lifetime. Only can I can put on my mother's head and get a 'wow' reaction from. Every other one I've tried she's looked at me with disbelief in her eyes. The Hifiman prompted the said wow reaction plus 'it's like being there' comment. I happen to agree with her on both accounts.
Anyway I see the original he400 for sale on the secondhand market for something like 100£ and that is quite simply a steal. The orginal one is also built like an absolute tank, so outside of the music hobby you could use it as a hammer without breaking anything on it
Yep I am being extremely helpful I know
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 05:04
This Gentle Giant track from Interview succeeds quite well in its own perfectionist sort of way. I prefer the #7 mix. Nice , simple melody with some lovely details.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 05:06
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 05:17
get a load of this reggae

their first three are excellent (as are Steel Pulse's first two albums)

this is also good

Edited by Sean Trane - September 03 2018 at 05:24
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 04:29

Seems like I'm just as bad at getting back to you...but I'm glad I remembered about this thread as my back has been excrutiatingly painful the last couple of weeks. I did find some better weed to counter this but I can always use more music that puts my muscles at ease...dub will most certainly do that. Samuel Hallkvist is unknown to me but I gather I will be checking him out asap. Thanks buddy!
And here I am months later

Hope music & weed (good combination! someone should tell people about that...) continue to bring some relief. I heard this and I thought of you:

Sly, Robbie, Nils and Eivind - nice team!

I know and I'm sorry. I just feel every music lover, who also happens to use headphones 90% of their time, should at least try a planar headphone once in their lifetime. Only can I can put on my mother's head and get a 'wow' reaction from. Every other one I've tried she's looked at me with disbelief in her eyes. The Hifiman prompted the said wow reaction plus 'it's like being there' comment. I happen to agree with her on both accounts.
Anyway I see the original he400 for sale on the secondhand market for something like 100£ and that is quite simply a steal. The orginal one is also built like an absolute tank, so outside of the music hobby you could use it as a hammer without breaking anything on it
I've got my eBay alerts set up now, just waiting for the right set at the right price. They shall be mine! Your work here is almost done...I will report back on Dolly's thread when I've got them

Edited by Mascodagama - November 03 2018 at 04:32
Bandcamp Profile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 05:58
the greatest album ever in the reggae/dub-Prog(Related) genre...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 06:32
Though I don't know if they are still active, an excellent band from Vermont by the name of Electric Sorcery amply deserve a shout out. Their first two album in particular contain a lot of reggae/dub influences, and make for very enjoyable listening: http://https://electricsorcery.bandcamp.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 22:51
What about Jan Akkerman's version of "All along the Watchtower"?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2018 at 05:25

And here I am months later

Hope music & weed (good combination! someone should tell people about that...) continue to bring some relief. I heard this and I thought of you:

Sly, Robbie, Nils and Eivind - nice team!

I've got my eBay alerts set up now, just waiting for the right set at the right price. They shall be mine! Your work here is almost done...I will report back on Dolly's thread when I've got them

That was such a nice listen Simon, thank you very much.
Been struggling a bit lately so any kind of music that helps divert my head...is pretty much manna from the heavens.

You finally bit the bullet? Or am getting ready to?
I think you’ll be like a little kid once it arrives...although it just might be that you’ve gotten use to the sound of those Sennheisers, so a bit of mental break in may be required.
Btw Simon I trust you already have a headphone amp, but if you are like so many other Sennheiser fans, then you may have opted for a valve one that works best with high impedance cans. Planars are generally low on the ohm scale but still tend to need a bit of juice. Just an fyi

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 03:54

You finally bit the bullet? Or am getting ready to?
I think you’ll be like a little kid once it arrives...although it just might be that you’ve gotten use to the sound of those Sennheisers, so a bit of mental break in may be required.
Btw Simon I trust you already have a headphone amp, but if you are like so many other Sennheiser fans, then you may have opted for a valve one that works best with high impedance cans. Planars are generally low on the ohm scale but still tend to need a bit of juice. Just an fyi

Still waiting for just the right deal to come up...there's a pair on eBay at the moment where the price is right but the colour isn't...so still enjoying the 'pleasure of anticipation' at the moment.

I also need a new headphone amp, my old one (Sugden Headmaster - my experience with this unit overall was not good) got fragged. But I see we have a thread for that as well now! My general view on headphone amps is to go solid state and get one that can drive anything...ya never know what might get plugged into it.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 04:09
You are such a sensible man!
Could you do me a solid and infect me with some of that?

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12