Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 08:40
Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

If you have nothing useful to offer, please leave. I would rather listen to music than grouches.

Very sad to see this.

My post was meant to help the listener realize that a personal appreciation for music, or any art, is not something that is quite the same when it comes from someone else's suggestions. In general, the individual formulates their own ideas and principles that they follow.

My thought was, perhaps an old shoe thought/idea, that we could learn from the old days, when we did not have "suggestions" and we went by the cover of the albums, and in some cases by a certain musician that was known to create something different and special.

That, is not to say that today's suggestions are bad, at all. That is to say, that the suggestions given here, are more confusing than helpful ... I find that some of them, are not even close to what my imagination thinks the user is looking for, and I would have no idea what to suggest at that point.

I found out about all of this music, from instinct. And instinct, is not something that anyone can help you or me with. It's something that you have to develop on your own, and sometimes it takes a lifetime, and other times a couple of years ... but its "touch" is magical.

It's really up to the person to make their choice ... but in all honesty, for me, it is too confusing since all of these come from different directions.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 10:05
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by philipemery philipemery wrote:

If you have nothing useful to offer, please leave. I would rather listen to music than grouches.

Very sad to see this.

My post was meant to help the listener realize that a personal appreciation for music, or any art, is not something that is quite the same when it comes from someone else's suggestions. In general, the individual formulates their own ideas and principles that they follow.

My thought was, perhaps an old shoe thought/idea, that we could learn from the old days, when we did not have "suggestions" and we went by the cover of the albums, and in some cases by a certain musician that was known to create something different and special.

That, is not to say that today's suggestions are bad, at all. That is to say, that the suggestions given here, are more confusing than helpful ... I find that some of them, are not even close to what my imagination thinks the user is looking for, and I would have no idea what to suggest at that point.

I found out about all of this music, from instinct. And instinct, is not something that anyone can help you or me with. It's something that you have to develop on your own, and sometimes it takes a lifetime, and other times a couple of years ... but its "touch" is magical.

It's really up to the person to make their choice ... but in all honesty, for me, it is too confusing since all of these come from different directions.

Yeah but once you've listened to a certain amount of music, it's not always easy to find bands like that yourself, because your discoveries become more and more obscure, so when you're in a forum like this where people have relatively similar music tastes, it's not a bad idea to ask for suggestions so as to help in a case like that. 

I do also kind of agree that a thread like this isn't really the best place to try to teach philosophical lesson. Maybe you could have posted a separate thread bringing up the topic and asking people if they agree or whatever. It's a fair point, but when you try to teach it on a thread asking for recommendations in a sub-section of the forum dedicated to recommendations, it can come off as condescending, regardless of intention.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 11:28
Not to mention, a bad and highly subjective "philosophical" lesson is not a lesson. It is this guy's personal opinion that he wants to push on other people.

I was born in 1956 buddy. I know exactly how it was in the "old days." Guess what, I took suggestions even back then (helps I was heavily involved in music circles). But even then, you could still walk into a music shop and ask some of the blokes around there what they thought of an album (if they had listened to it).

I formulate my own principles, likes, and dislikes based on the music. Not based on who suggests it or how I find it. It makes no fundamental difference whether or not I discover an album in a dumpster behind a store, vs if I am suggested it by a friend.

And if you have no idea what to suggest or don't like a suggestion, then don't hang around threads that are about suggestions. You keep trying to push some philosophical bull this way, and the reality is that you are being illogical. If you don't want to get suggestions, or read suggestions, or think that music should be self discovery, then STOP HANGING AROUND SUGGESTION THREADS.

You aren't everyone. So stop pushing your nonsense on everyone.

And also, btw, instinct is developed by your interactions with society and people as a whole. Not by personal development. Nice try, but read some scientific research.
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 16:14
Pedro being Pedro, I'd suggest you just ignore his nonsense like the rest of us. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 21:25
Actually, about suggestions and opinions by other people, a few times I have become convinced I would like, or at least I should check out, some album because of negative critics to it... being that was being said as a negative about it were just the kind of things I thought I would like. I don't really remember the examples, though.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 00:55
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

ELP influenced bands -  a few off the top of my head:

Cairo (just the one album release but its a 'belter')
Le Orme (all good!)
Ars Nova ( The Japanese one not the Italian one , check out Book Of The Dead)
Par Lindh Project (check out Veni Vidi Vici especially)
Mastermind ( I only have their debut but its very good)

Eloy are a great band but its hard to find other bands like them.

Pink Floyd soundalikes are a million a dozen but I do love Dave Kerzner who is very influenced by them (more on the Dave Gilmour side). New World is the best album Pink Floyd never made!

not familiar with Babylon. What is their style?

I have never understood the connection many hear between Le Orme and ELP, besides the trio format. The music doesn't sound in any way similar to me. As for their sound, I find more similarities between ELP and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso.

Perhaps I should have mentioned Triumvirat instead (who are also very good) and also Beggars Opera (amazing at times)

None of the Italian bands are that close to ELP that I've heard but if you are a fan of the keyboard being put up front in the sound then Le Orme are for you. If they were just copying ELP then they would not be worth recommending at all. Also Ars Nova are not very like ELP either.

Another good one (but not an ELP copy) are the Dutch band Trace. 

philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2018 at 09:49
I am a huge fan of Le Orme actually (recently obtained their whole discography).

I'll check out Ars Nova (I just actually finished the short discography of an American Psychedelic-Prog band named Ars Nova, who started back in the 60's).
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12