Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ELO vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [26.58%]
47 [59.49%]
10 [12.66%]
1 [1.27%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 04:50
Steely Dan by an absolute landslide... one of the best bands of the 70s, and their deep cuts are some of the most underrated tunes of the era 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Occulator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2021 at 08:39
My favourite band of all time so no hesitation, no remorse, it's Steely Dan all the way!
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 01:29
difficult as ELO did some stirling prog stuff in their early days (From The Sun To The World , 10538 Overture, Manhattan Rumble , Kuiama) and then moved onto pop and produced some great pop songs (Mr Blue Sky, Wild West Hero, Telephone Line , Livin' Thing). However there was an awful lot of crud.

Steely Dan were way more consistent and never produced crud but many great songs.

My head tells me Dan , my heart says ELO (I always go with my heart!)
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2021 at 04:57
Steely Dan by a mile. 

First 4 ELO albums were good, but as soon as Roy Wood's influence had faded out, it was Saccharine Sh*te all the way.
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 19:15
I like some ELO a fair bit.

But regarding this poll, for me it has to be Steely Dan.
No contest.
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2021 at 19:46
The Dan are more "serious musicians," and they're excellent at what they do...

But I am a total sucker for ELO's best pop stuff. ELO all the way.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
rik wilson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rik wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 10:05
Steely Dan I truly love every thing they have done. It's always classy, smooth , and inviting in many ways.  Back in the day I was in the Move,ELO, Wizzard fan club (MELLOW for short ). I hate not to vote for me Brum boys but Steely is unsurpassed.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2021 at 20:52
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

ELO for me; never been a big SD fan.
Same here, though I like some of Countdown to Ecstasy.

Jeff Lynne is a songwriting genius; greater IMO than than the two Steely guys put together. In output too, sheer number of songs and consistency, Lynne is much more significant.
Yeah, I love the first two Steely Dan albums and then it's all a downhill sea of boredom for me. The issue of ELO is a bit different. There are the really highs and then the lows are really low. Actually the best albums of both bands are compilation best of albums (basically both are singles bands). I prefer ELO because they almost get it perfect on Face The Music and Discovery.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123