3 [4.92%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.64%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 12:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

A bit surprised that no one voted for The Hunger....since Bowie had a part in it.....very stylish vampire film.
I missed it on the list but went back and voted just now.

It's my brother's favourite film, and is very stylish indeed. Fans of Bauhaus would like it too. I've mentioned it any various forums over the years, and you're the first person that I can remember commenting it, so I'm one happy camper. I think that it's both an underknown and it's a seriously underrated film. Of course some like it because of an erotic scene with Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve.

Just remembered another vampire film that I really like from the 80s, which is a terrific black comedy called Vampire's Kiss with Nicholas Cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnoSxO_2ghQ

Time to do a Vampire films list - lol.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 15:17
oh I so LOOOOOOOOve vampire flicks... bring 'em on Greg
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 15:55
Haha, maybe I will. At least I'll learn about cool ones not on the list -- course Nosferatu, the amazing Christopher Lee will be well-represented, and Fearless Vampire Killers, plus mainstream ones like The Lost Boys, as well as lesser-known ones such as Let the Right One In.

Edited by Logan - July 23 2018 at 16:08
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 17:48
Just caught Count Yorga,Vampire, a classic '70s cult schlocker

Click to View Larger
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 18:04
I've heard of that, it's going on on my wish list. I love a slice of 70s cult schlock.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 23:11
Time Bandits -> Poltergeist -> Re-Animator...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 18:40
Since Blade Runner got mentioned in my 60s/70s poll, thought I'd revive this. This was part of a series that I did for various cinema fantastique decades.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 21:33
I would definitely include "Momo" based on a book by Michael Ende (who wrote "The Neverending Story") in the list, but I doubt many have seen it. Here a scene from it (unfortunately in German).

The guy with the cigar is an agent of the Time Savings Bank. These agents are not human; they live only on the time they steal from human beings which they convert into cigars they smoke. Momo, a little girl, stands up against them. The movie has John Huston, Armin Müller-Stahl and Mario Adorf in it. The title character is played by the charming Radost Bokel with these incredibly huge eyes.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2020 at 08:10
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Haha, maybe I will. At least I'll learn about cool ones not on the list -- course Nosferatu, the amazing Christopher Lee will be well-represented, and Fearless Vampire Killers, plus mainstream ones like The Lost Boys, as well as lesser-known ones such as Let the Right One In.

Hi,

Micky ... you gotta see THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS ... it is a satire and fun film to see, but there are a couple of things in it that are sooooooooo Polanski in his films ... the camera use ... and when you get to the ballroom sequence, let me know! 

He did it again in ROSEMARY'S BABY in one shot (towards the end with the foot part of the bed visible through the door and nothing else ... and EVERYONE in the theater turned their heads to see what was on the other side of the door! No kidding! And then, one of his incredible bits ... not exactly pretty, but very effective and well done ... in TESS, the rape is done on a handheld camera and the rapist is the camera in this case! A very tough visual for most audiences.

For more "camera" stuff, make sure you see VISIONS OF LIGHT which is about cinematographers and how they talk about their craft and DIRECTORS ... you will find some amazing bits there that really show what a director is all about!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 09:39
Most of these are favorites of mine. But I ended up giving the nod to Blade Runner, Videodrome, The Thing, The Fly, Altered States and Robocop
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Road Warrior? over Mad Max.   Nah...  Mad Max was a vastly superior movie. Nothing in that movie touched the opening sequence and the Nightrider.

Hi,

Sadly, the 2nd film obviously had a budget that the first did not. And the results make the 2nd film look much better and stronger and it showed on screen and the results in movie theaters.

It is a difficult story to be able to connect the two films, and I kinda wish that it had not been so, but all of a sudden it's not really a revenge film as much as it is a survival film ... and for my tastes the survival part was more important and better for a story which made it bigger all around, than just an individual situation amidst a much bigger mess of a world they were in.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 11:17
I think Paul Verhoeven's 1983 movie "De vierde man" ("The Fourth Man") should be on the list. here an English language trailer:

I like the original Dutch trailer much better:

Edited by BaldJean - October 30 2020 at 11:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 12:00
Ah, so many good options...

I'll cast my vote for Hellraiser, as it hasn't received one yet.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 12:08
Hmm. Multiple votes are allowed. Anyway, for no particular reason I'll not avail myself of the opportunity.

HELLRAISEEEEEEER!!! Evil Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 12:45
A few really good ones here and I'll be honest, I really love Blade Runner and fully expect it to sweep the lot, but my absolute favourite movie of all time is The Shinning. As much as I wish Kubrick had done a 4 hour extravaganza to really capture all the nuance of the book, I could watch it every day and never tire of it.

Side Note:  
I just watched a trailer for a redo of The Stand. I'll certainly give it a go but again, it's hard to beat the 1994 TV miniseries. A perfect casting for every part.

Edited by JD - October 30 2020 at 13:45
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 12:51
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

A few really good ones here and I'll be honest, I really love Blade Runner and fully expect it to sweep the lot, but my absolute favourite movie of all time is The Shinning. As much as I wish Kubrick had done a 4 hour extravaganza to really capture all the nuance of the book, I could watch it every day and never tire of it.

Side Note:  
I just a trailer for a redo of The Stand. I'll certainly give it a go but again, it's hard to beat the 1994 TV miniseries. A perfect casting for every part.

"Blade Runner" is in my opinion totally overrated. Yes, the dying scene of Rutger Hauer is awesome, but the rest was a disappointment when you read the novel it is based on ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick).

Edited by BaldFriede - October 30 2020 at 12:52

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 13:23
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

"Blade Runner" is in my opinion totally overrated. Yes, the dying scene of Rutger Hauer is awesome, but the rest was a disappointment when you read the novel it is based on ("Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick).

Hi,

I have not yet read the book and it is on my list of things to get.

In general, though, I'm not sure that any Science Fiction book has EVER been done right in movies. Probably too many elements that make it different. 

The one I would like see done in film, is the one that will never get done, probably because of the freedom when it came to sex within the story ... it's the only GROK film that would be worth doing, but I think the idea is something that scares too many people and in an over populated society, this will likely be a bigger problem than the romantic notion in the novel. GROK all that, yet?

Likewise, Sir Arthur C. Clarke is not satisfying on screen either. And at least one novel would be a massive problem with many religious institutions when the "overlords" are described as something similar to our notions of what devils are!

Ray Bradbury was interesting and his one novel that Truffaut did came out OK, but still had issues with the story. I have to re-read the book and watch the movie again to define these comments better as these were a part of my first days reviewing films.
www.pedrosena.com
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 13:50
^ I had read "Stranger In A Strange Land" had apparently been tapped by some Hollywood producer. Possibly for a multi part release. i won't hold my breath, I only have about 20-25 years left.

Then there's "Rendezvous with Rama"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12