Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Supertramp/Steely Dan Again: Try Again/Do It Again
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Supertramp/Steely Dan Again: Try Again/Do It Again

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which of these songs do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [32.56%]
29 [67.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 08:31
bingo.. therein lies my biggest problem with that incarnation of Genesis and of course teh bobbleheads.

in a nutshell.. 

functionally good.

well said and an excellent summation of 70's prog Genesis.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 08:38
Well, in a way, the tight Banks leash on everybody else in the band also explains Genesis' popularity.  It caused a stronger emphasis on songwriting without the indulgences of Yes or ELP (which I would add were less frequent than what the critics accused them of).  There is more focus in Genesis albums.  In a way, they were the less atmospheric and more 'British' (and also more prog) version of Pink Floyd. But beyond songwriting, there has to be uncanny emotion, soul or at least aural beauty.  Gabriel and Hackett provided these qualities and without them, there was no longer much that was soulful about the band, at least for me there wasn't. I could say the same about Gentle Giant but their songs were also way more interesting than Genesis and they rocked harder so it doesn't matter so much to me.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 09:10
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It was Supertramp before Supertramp figured out who they were.
To me that is not a bad thing. Still Do it Again pretty much a masterpiece of sorts but I find Try Again to be quite a charming and enjoyable tune.  
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:15
I actually quite liked that Supertramp song, I'd never heard it before(very pleasant musically). I obviously love Do It Again, but voted for Supertramp this time. 

Now if you're comparing Steely Dan's first 7 studio albums to the first 7 from literally any other artist then I like the Dan. My two favorites are The Royal Scam and Countdown to Ecstasy. Gaucho is right up there as well. 

Great poll Greg, good to see you back on here. You got me to vote against SD for the first time ever on here.   
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 10:49
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I actually quite liked that Supertramp song, I'd never heard it before(very pleasant musically). I obviously love Do It Again, but voted for Supertramp this time. 

Now if you're comparing Steely Dan's first 7 studio albums to the first 7 from literally any other artist then I like the Dan. My two favorites are The Royal Scam and Countdown to Ecstasy. Gaucho is right up there as well. 

Great poll Greg, good to see you back on here. You got me to vote against SD for the first time ever on here.   

Thanks so much, John, and it's great to see you at the site. I discovered Supertramp's first album because I wanted to recommend music to someone who disliked certain qualities of Supertramp. So, to quote a Greg other than me, "It was Supertramp before Supertramp figured out who they were" early days kind of music that I was looking for. I grew up knowing people with Breakfast in America, Crime of the Century, and Even in the Quietest Moments, but had never heard the debut.

On another note, great to see so much conversation going on in this thread. :)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 06:39
Supertramp.
Still can't get past Dan's voice . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 06:58
Supertramp, but it is as close as a Steely Dan vs Supertramp poll can get.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2018 at 08:09
Dan again. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 09:34
Voted the Dan though I love "Try Agian" and St's second album too.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2018 at 10:58
Do it Again by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 11:12
There are many Supertramp songs I really love and I'd choose over pretty much all of SD, but Do It Again is great and Try It Again is just OK.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 12:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well said...  I think Countdown is a FABULOUS album with not a weak song on it but agree...  it was Pretzel Logic when we got the quintessential SD.

Katy Lied however will forever be my favorite Dan album...

Katy Lied rules......Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2018 at 14:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well said...  I think Countdown is a FABULOUS album with not a weak song on it but agree...  it was Pretzel Logic when we got the quintessential SD.

Katy Lied however will forever be my favorite Dan album...

Katy Lied rules......Thumbs Up

+1
Katy has always been my fave.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 00:19
Supertramp 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123