Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New newbie extra ignorant from France living in Jp
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New newbie extra ignorant from France living in Jp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All_zebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New newbie extra ignorant from France living in Jp
    Posted: July 27 2018 at 10:40
Hello everybody.
As the title says, I know very few things about prog music, but the little I discovered pleases me a lot. I am delighted to make discoveries in this vast world of prog.
Until now, I love Vangelis (big fan), some songs of Yes, and I like bands like Glass Hammer and Janison Edge.
Nice to meet you all!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 10:59
Bienvenue, yōkoso, welcome to the site.

France and Japan are my two favourite countries that I've visited, though I've spent much more time in Japan as I taught English there.

Edited by Logan - July 27 2018 at 11:00
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 12:00
Originally posted by All_zebest All_zebest wrote:

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome!  Since you're from France, I'd start exploring the excellent 70's prog from your own backyard Wink

1)  Ange - their 1st 6 albums
2)  Mona Lisa - their 1st 4 albums
3)  Pulsar - their 1st 3 albums
4)  Atoll - their 1st 3 albums
5)  Pentacle - La Clef Des Songes
6)  Carpe Diem - En Regardent Passer Le Temps
7)  Et Cetera - Et Cetera
8)  Memoriance - L'ecume des Jours D'Apres Boris Vian

Most if not all of these have been uploaded to youtube so you can preview before buying...

Have fun Smile

Edited by The.Crimson.King - July 27 2018 at 14:48
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 13:53
And since he's in Tokyo, there's a lots of great music to discover from there (and various good places for concerts). Here'a list of some Japanese Prog bands if you haven't seen this before.

http://www.prog-sphere.com/specials/20-best-japanese-prog-bands/

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 14:25
Welcome ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 19:43
Hi,

Welcome.

In France, I think I would also include Richard Pinhas and Heldon, though these can be very tough, but Richard's views and ideas on his music are all over EUROCK, and they are difficult to understand, even for me, but the music itself is so different and quite a treat once you get used to it.

I was thinking that Clearlight and Cyreille Verdoux might be a good check also.

I also like, A LOT, Alan Stivell and his unusual mixes, that are special in their own way, and very progressive, although I wonder if his adding a lead guitar to Celtic stuff is something that turns off folks that like Enya. He also is not afraid to be political and attack the French in their history, whose story is not a fun read.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 20:25
Welcome to PA!

I would suggest just going down the list of the top 250 albums here and checking out what you're not familiar with. Subgenres will suit you and some won't unless you like everything! No need second guessing, just dig in and start exploring! That's the only way i found tons of music i never dreamed of :)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 21:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Welcome.

In France, I think I would also include Richard Pinhas and Heldon, though these can be very tough, but Richard's views and ideas on his music are all over EUROCK, and they are difficult to understand, even for me, but the music itself is so different and quite a treat once you get used to it.

I was thinking that Clearlight and Cyreille Verdoux might be a good check also.

Good calls.  I love the Pinhaus album "Chronolyse" and Clearlight's "Forever Blowing Bubbles" Wink
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 21:52
Hello! My wife and I (same-sex marriage) love Japan; a good friend of us lives in Kyoto where he teaches German at the university.

One can't speak of France and prog without mentioning Magma. Here a youtube clip; their latest epic "Sl*g Tanz" live:

And as far as prog in Japan goes we are especially fond of the Acid Mothers Temple:

Welcome to the forum! Have fun!

Edited by BaldFriede - July 27 2018 at 22:29

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2018 at 23:34
Welcome!

You have already had so many recommendations that I wonīt give you more. If you want to hear some Finnish wonders some day, donīt hesitate to ask.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 07:09

Hello everybody.
As the title says, I know very few things about prog music, but the little I discovered pleases me a lot. I am delighted to make discoveries in this vast world of prog.
Until now, I love Vangelis (big fan), some songs of Yes, and I like bands like Glass Hammer and Janison Edge.
Nice to meet you all!

I almost envy people like you to have a chance to discover for the first time all the richness and variety one can find within prog.  It is quite the journey man...  you may step in a few piles of sh*t along the way but you will also find some of the best music ever recorded. The journey is sifting through the crap, and there is a lot from bands that think silly intellectualism and killer chops = good prog, to find the gold where talent, creativity and a good ear for melody and songwriting intersect.

welcome to the site.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 08:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hello everybody.
Nice to meet you all!

I almost envy people like you to have a chance to discover for the first time all the richness and variety one can find within prog.  It is quite the journey man...  you may step in a few piles of sh*t along the way but you will also find some of the best music ever recorded. The journey is sifting through the crap, and there is a lot from bands that think silly intellectualism and killer chops = good prog, to find the gold where talent, creativity and a good ear for melody and songwriting intersect.

welcome to the site.  

Melody is only one component of music. There is some brilliant creativity in atonality and dissonance as well. Not everyone's ball of wax of course but i love both sides of the melodic spectrum myself Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 08:38
no doubt..  it is something I have only recently in the last few years due to the influence of Auntie Raff and Uncle Ian have really begun to appreciate. The point being though, for most normal listeners and presumably considering his original post the OP,  melody is still very important.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2018 at 19:11
Heyo my family spends our summers in France. Just recently came back from playing at a music festival over there. Welcome!
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
All_zebest View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All_zebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2018 at 02:34
Thank you a hundred times, everybody, for your nice welcome and your numerous recommandations. I intend to hear every band you mentionned to me.Heart You seem to be an elite community (it's a praise^^).

By the way, I just went to Marillion concert in Japan with my wife and I had a pleasant time, the band being very generous with its audience and fans.

Edited by All_zebest - October 18 2018 at 02:37
 Post Reply Post Reply