Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello and help pls

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 21:46
^ Have you heard that song in both versions? And yeah, her voice is just something else. Definitley my favourite female singers, and one of my 3 favourite singers overall.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 05:33
Strange coincidence. I have Argus on vinyl but have never spun it...but I got a CD copy about three weeks ago....weird...
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 05:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The hard part was logging-in, posting, and then getting past Captcha to get an answer posted in three minutes. Wouldn't it be cool if Captcha used Prog album cover images. Click on the album images not Dark Side of the Moon. Now choose [insert album cover exclusively on bandcamp made on a Commodore64 in mum's basement that almost no one knows].

I expect that there are many who know much more than me. Aside from my flurry of collecting over a decade ago and time spent evaluating music here, at least I've spent enough time in the database to know quite a few, but I suspect that the Errors and Omissions Team would win the prize if we ever had a "Guess that album cover" contest (and some of our prolific reviewers, and other prolific additions people, would do well too). I don't know that much when it comes to modern Prog particularly.

Argus is an iconic album. I like the first two considerably too. I hold the second album, Pilgrimage, in higher regard than many -- got some really good music per my tastes on it. "Vas Dis" is great fun, and "The Pilgrim" is a very good track, I think.
Pilgrimage has been my first WA purchase. Vas Dis is really a great track but I agree that Argus is their best.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 07:26
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The hard part was logging-in, posting, and then getting past Captcha to get an answer posted in three minutes. Wouldn't it be cool if Captcha used Prog album cover images. Click on the album images not Dark Side of the Moon. Now choose [insert album cover exclusively on bandcamp made on a Commodore64 in mum's basement that almost no one knows].

I expect that there are many who know much more than me. Aside from my flurry of collecting over a decade ago and time spent evaluating music here, at least I've spent enough time in the database to know quite a few, but I suspect that the Errors and Omissions Team would win the prize if we ever had a "Guess that album cover" contest (and some of our prolific reviewers, and other prolific additions people, would do well too). I don't know that much when it comes to modern Prog particularly.

Argus is an iconic album. I like the first two considerably too. I hold the second album, Pilgrimage, in higher regard than many -- got some really good music per my tastes on it. "Vas Dis" is great fun, and "The Pilgrim" is a very good track, I think.
Pilgrimage has been my first WA purchase. Vas Dis is really a great track but I agree that Argus is their best.

Those first three WA albums have some great stuff. I haven't found much of their work after Argus that really grabs me.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 07:58
I like Front Page News, but it's a pop album.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 13:32

It’s a very good album, I think.
You think? And didn't Bruford once consider joining 'Ash?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 13:33
Ahhhhhh, maybe that was Savoy Brown.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 14:00
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

It’s a very good album, I think.
You think? And didn't Bruford once consider joining 'Ash?

I don't know anything with absolute certainty, including that I don't know anything with absolute certainty.   I enjoy it -- at least I think I enjoy it, or I think that I think that I enjoy it.... Or I don't think at all. As for Bruford, I don't remember reading anything about that before, but I might have.

Maybe this is all a dream, but whose dream, I wonder?

Edited by Logan - August 14 2018 at 14:01
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 14:10
I think you've explained your rationale quite well. As for Bill, it was Savoy Brown, unless someone out there would like to correct me.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 19:42
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Have you heard that song in both versions? And yeah, her voice is just something else. Definitley my favourite female singers, and one of my 3 favourite singers overall.

No. I've just heard Turn of the Cards and Scheherazade and other Stories. I like both a lot, but I'll have to check out Ashes are Burning next. I agree with you, her voice is so good
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 21:06
The ones I have are those two, and Ashes are Burning itself, plus the Live at Carnegie Hall... once again, I believe the live versions are better than the originals... there's not much difference, really, the songs only sound more lively or something... except for Ashes are Burning itself, which is about 10 min long on the album, but is streched to 24 minutes live, though mostly because of some extended jamming in the middle, and an extended final passage... but the thing is, as I said, thay had this electric guitar in studio, and since they didn't have an electric guitar player, Annie just took that part to herself with some incredible and chilling vocalizations. You should really check it out.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 22:14
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The ones I have are those two, and Ashes are Burning itself, plus the Live at Carnegie Hall... once again, I believe the live versions are better than the originals... there's not much difference, really, the songs only sound more lively or something... except for Ashes are Burning itself, which is about 10 min long on the album, but is streched to 24 minutes live, though mostly because of some extended jamming in the middle, and an extended final passage... but the thing is, as I said, thay had this electric guitar in studio, and since they didn't have an electric guitar player, Annie just took that part to herself with some incredible and chilling vocalizations. You should really check it out.

Oh wow, yeah I'll have to do that then. Sounds great. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 22:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I like Front Page News, but it's a pop album.

Yeah I like it a lot too. Very 'soft rock' sound to it, I like that. One of my favorite albums by them for sure. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12