Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help finding a lost instrumental track ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help finding a lost instrumental track ?
    Posted: August 16 2018 at 18:12
Hi
I've joined this forum for the express purpose of finding a specific instrumental track that I heard on a random mix CD-R a long time ago. I never knew the artist or name of it, and subsequently lost the CD. Probably over 10 years ago. (so most likely pre-2006)

The way I see it, I can only describe the track as best I can and hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction, or at least perhaps I can find a forum more suited to this kind of enquiry.

I remember somewhat vividly, but could be getting some details fuzzy due to it being a very long time ago.

Here goes:
The track sounded like it could have been recorded between the 90's and 2000's (perhaps it could have been 80's or late 70's. It was nice production quality and clean sounding)

It was jazzy, I believe the instrumentation was guitar, vibraphone, upright bass, and maybe drums and keys.

It was a slow, mellow kind of 2-chord vamp type thing EDIT: (Although there may have been more than two chords in the entire structure), with a minor sound, akin to music from Twin Peaks, (Fire Walk with Me) by Angelo Badalementi, or Bohren & Der Club of Gore. (will include links for reference). An arpeggiated minor or diminished motif was played, I believe on the guitar, and or/perhaps other instruments

It started out quietly and then transitioned to a more aggressive/loud/distorted guitar sound (and I think the bass was being bowed/played arco on the louder part)

The sound and vibe of the above 3 tracks get really close to the feel this track had, if you kind of combined all the elements together, but it had it's own thing going on.

I want to say that there was a repeating motif, sort of a minor or diminished arpeggiated line from either the bass, the guitar, or both. Kind of a descending motif, and possibly an ascending one for the contrasting section.

I think there was a simple theme during the quiet parts, and during the loud parts the guitar would do a little bit of shredding with some fuzz pedal.

The dynamics were kind of gradual at first, but the loud parts would kind of crescedno like in the post-rock genre, but still remained restrained.

It would go back and forth from the quiet part and the loud part a few times and I'd ballpark the run time around 4-6 minutes.

I think the arpeggiated minor or diminished line on the guitar was one of the more defining things or melody. I think the vibraphone held sustained chords but also could have done some improvising.

Drums or keys would have just been supporting everything else, unfortunately if there were drums, I don't remember the sound they had very well, but I would imagine that it went from a quiet brushed sound, to a bit more of louder playing, but still "jazz" sounding in terms of their timbre.

I think it was in 4/4, maybe a 6/8 or a 12/8 feel. It had a bit of swing to it, but it was slow.

If ANYONE that has taken the time to read this has any recommendation on recordings to look for, other forums to post in, or anything at all, I would greatly appreciate it. I understand how vague this all is, but I figure why not give it a shot?

Worst case scenario, I never hear that track again.
Best case is that I find out who the hell it was and can go and buy it.

Edited by Chairman Rills - August 22 2018 at 13:42
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 02:30
While reading it had me thinking of a couple of Tortoise-tunes, but while relistening it turned out my recollection of them were all wrong. But I figured its better I post them than not... 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:02
I;m thinking this might well be a post-rock band a la Tortoise. I;m thinking that it could be something by The Mercury program.

I can't think of the one I'm trying to remember, but here is one of that bands:

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Chairman Rills View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:13

EDIT: forgot to reply directly to the previous post.

Edited by Chairman Rills - August 17 2018 at 11:28
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:17
Toug call, if it sounds like Bohren, it could be the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Orchestra, though they are a bit more droning than what you describe.
Maybe Snarky Puppy made something in this vein? 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:19
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I;m thinking this might well be a post-rock band a la Tortoise. I;m thinking that it could be something by The Mercury program.

I can't think of the one I'm trying to remember, but here is one of that bands:

Thanks but this particular track is way too post rock and aggressive. The tune was way mellower, and even though it had louder sections, they were not super crashy like this one is.
Perhaps I'll dig around their catalogue if you think it's possible some other cut of theirs.

I want to say it had more of a mellow, bluesy, but minimal approach to the guitar, and perhaps all of the instruments.

I appreciate the effort!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:27
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

While reading it had me thinking of a couple of Tortoise-tunes, but while relistening it turned out my recollection of them were all wrong. But I figured its better I post them than not... 
Thanks anyway, but no it's not Tortoise.
I mean, perhaps it could be a Chicago-related group, but it had more of a jazz/blues slant than a rock/post-rock slant.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:32
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

Toug call, if it sounds like Bohren, it could be the Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Orchestra, though they are a bit more droning than what you describe.
Maybe Snarky Puppy made something in this vein? 
Not familiar with Kilimanjaro DJO, do they have albums pre 2010's ?
I could maybe see it being Chicago Underground Trio, or Chicago scene related, but more blues/jazz and straightforward.

Perhaps New York, Zorn/Tzadik related, but it's not skronky or a lot of free playing. Dark but pleasant. Consanant. Gets a little more intense in the louder sections, but still restrained. Like maybe from a film score.

Somehow I don't see it being Snark Pup, but not familiar with their early stuff - do they have stuff pre 2010's that sounds like this?

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:52
I would very much doubt that it's one by The Mercury Program. That's not one of their softer or more subtle tracks, but even of their much more mellow ones, I can't think of anything that fits well.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 12:13
Could there exist a more appropriate forum/resource for this online?
It seems in this day and age there are resources for far more obscure and niche interests. I just have no idea how to begin looking. It's so vague.

If you have lyrics you can easily get close by searching a couple words. People can find movies they've seen on TV when they were kids by describing a scene or knowing some odd tidbit of info --

but how do you find something instrumental if you don't even have a clip of it? This is like one of those things you can't even google... I've been at a loss for a long time on this one, but I never even tried to go looking. Maybe there's an 'instrumental jazz/blues' forum I should go to.
Thanks, everybody so far.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 12:17
I would try the rateyourmusic forum too and maybe reddit.

https://rateyourmusic.com/community/
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Rills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2018 at 13:43
I've posted at RYM, some people chiming in, but nothing substantial yet.
I think I might have to get a Spotify account and try to highly curate a playlist and hope to run into it in the 'recommendations'
 Post Reply Post Reply