Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 7 studio album run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: What is the best run of 7 consecutive albums?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.31%]
1 [0.83%]
2 [1.65%]
29 [23.97%]
13 [10.74%]
7 [5.79%]
6 [4.96%]
7 [5.79%]
8 [6.61%]
3 [2.48%]
3 [2.48%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [7.44%]
18 [14.88%]
11 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 00:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I would change Rush - A Farewell to Kings through to Power Windows. That last album never gets enough credit methinks. That's what I like. You can like what you want, so there!

Well, I didn't include any post MP Rush albums(and I mentioned this on here before)because I don't consider anything after MP or at the very least signals to be prog(or at least prog in the strictest sense). They are good albums but they are more like synth rock and not really prog imo. I could have maybe done COS to Signals but that's about as far as I would go.

Interesting as I would group pretty much put all their 80's albums together in that respect but then we get into definitions of wat is prog and what is not ( again for the zillionth time on PA!) but is for instance Red Sector A really that different to Tom Sawyer in terms of the realm of ideas and where Rush where at then? The 90's then saw a shift to a more basic rock style. I love Vapor Trails but it isn't prog at all.

BTW I've always rated Power Windows as one of their best although it is a steely cold album. You have to be in the right mood to listen to it I think.

AliceBaldieDaughter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliceBaldieDaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 06:49
How about Amon Düül 2 "Phallus Dei" to "Hijack"? I think the latter is a bit underrated with the average rating of 2.74; I would give it a 3.5 instead. "Phallus Dei", "Yeti", "Tanz der Lemminge", "Wolf City" and "Vive la Trance" are in my opinion all real gems; none of them below 4 stars. "Carnival in Babylon" is a bit weaker, but still a 3.5 to me. All in all a great run of seven studio albums.

Edited by AliceBaldieDaughter - May 31 2019 at 06:49
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2019 at 23:24
Originally posted by AliceBaldieDaughter AliceBaldieDaughter wrote:

How about Amon Düül 2 "Phallus Dei" to "Hijack"? I think the latter is a bit underrated with the average rating of 2.74; I would give it a 3.5 instead. "Phallus Dei", "Yeti", "Tanz der Lemminge", "Wolf City" and "Vive la Trance" are in my opinion all real gems; none of them below 4 stars. "Carnival in Babylon" is a bit weaker, but still a 3.5 to me. All in all a great run of seven studio albums.

Yes that’s a pretty good run. I can listen to “Hijack” occasionally nowadays. It’s just as well we weren’t looking for eight albums . I make it 16 in a row for Tangerine Dream now I’ve got used to “Cyclone” and “Le Parc” and omitting soundtracks but of the choices here I voted VDGG.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 06:54
This is where we diverge in opinion. I'm just curious if you have ever tried to play the bass line in Big Money, the guitar parts to Manhattan Project, or the percussion to The Weapon? I am not going to argue about this, as you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I respect it. But, I would kindly suggest you take a good look at the sheet music. I would characterize it as prog containing synth elements rather than synth pop.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 07:57
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

This is where we diverge in opinion. I'm just curious if you have ever tried to play the bass line in Big Money, the guitar parts to Manhattan Project, or the percussion to The Weapon? I am not going to argue about this, as you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I respect it. But, I would kindly suggest you take a good look at the sheet music. I would characterize it as prog containing synth elements rather than synth pop.

There's certainly an argument to be made for Power Windows being prog(as well as GUP and HYF). Wikipedia list it as being both progressive rock and new wave. For me most of that stuff doesn't sound like pure prog to me. YMMV.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 08:18
That era is certainly a departure from their 1970s, early 1980s, guitar-out-front sound, with long pieces and odd time signatures. I love their earlier music very much, especially when they used classical guitar elements in addition to rock guitar. And, it is clear that in the 80s they were influenced by synth-oriented (electronic, synthpop) and other music forms in their 80s sound. I can hear influences from Kraftwerk, Numan, Devo, Human League, Talking Heads, The Police, ... dating back to Vital Signs and Through the Camera Eye on MP. But, I don't hear it as synthpop - rather, it's distinctly Rush and prog to me, but with a change in style. If you dig into the music, it is complex (Mystic Rhythms, for example) but in a radio friendly format. Yes (and related Asia) also changed their style at that time. To me, it was the times.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 09:36
I never said "synth pop." I said "synth rock" which is maybe not a real genre and I can't really think of any other bands who fall into that category. It's not synth pop because it doesn't sound like Depeche Mode or OMD or whoever. I think Asia were actually more prog than people give them credit for. Lot's of bands have prog elements without really being true prog though. There can be thin line between what is prog and what isn't and it's one thing fans love to argue about. 

You are right about most of those influences. I know the Police were a big influence on Rush at that time and also the Talking Heads but also a band called Ultravox who apparently mixed new wave and prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 01 2019 at 09:38
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2019 at 10:17
I think Rush was influenced by synth pop, though, because there was that sort of quirky robotic sound that was popular back then. Another song to include is New World Man. And, I remember seeing Geddy Lee with a Devolution button. Synth rock probably also, but I cannot really speak to that. Thank you for the clarification. I agree that Asia were quite proggy at times, but certainly the sound was a departure for Steve Howe from the early Yes sound of Fragile, The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, etc. I'm recalling the Indiana Jones video of Don't Cry (brilliant Intro on that, BTW) and swooning crowds during Heat of the Moment. And, the sound was a departure for Wetton from U.K. and Palmer from ELP sounds. But, I agree with you. The intro to Sole Survivor, for example, is very proggy indeed and inspired a friend of mine to write his own Intro. I consider Rush, Yes, and Asia to be, first and foremost, Prog, during the 80s, but not in the same format as early/mid-1970s and earlier Prog (which I also enjoy tremendously).
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 10:12
Very interesting poll... why KC are out?

In this list, I choose 

1) Van der Graaf, 
2) Pink Floyd
3) Genesis
4) hhhmmm I dont konw if Yes or GG

then Camel, perhaps
Rush are far away

I know little about Eloy, Flower Kings and Spock's Beard

Edited by jamesbaldwin - June 02 2019 at 10:15
"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 10:18
PS

first three:

- The Least We Can Do
- H to He
- Pawn Hearts

have no equal, they detach them all...LOL
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2019 at 10:40
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Very interesting poll... why KC are out?

In this list, I choose 

1) Van der Graaf, 
2) Pink Floyd
3) Genesis
4) hhhmmm I dont konw if Yes or GG

then Camel, perhaps
Rush are far away

I know little about Eloy, Flower Kings and Spock's Beard

KC are not included because they were too pretentious. LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2019 at 08:40
My personal opinions:

Camel - Mirage to Nude: I can see your House from Here is a flaw respect to the others. Also Breathless if far from being a masterpiece.
Eloy - Floating to Planets: It's a consistent sequence of good albums, none excptional.
Marillion - Script to Brave: I don't like much the first and the last despite some good tracks inside.
Jethor Tull - Good shot, but not at the level of my two faves.

Pink Floyd - One of my two candidates, the other is Yes. 
I'll vote when I'm decided.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 00:30
No King Crimson? I mean, 7 & 8 are their numbers (up to Red or Discipline, if you like it).
If they were available, I'd pick them in a heartbeat.
Aside from that, I see Yes, Genesis, VDGG and Pink Floyd as strongest contenders.
Jethro as well, but they would dominate even more in 9-10 format.

I pick Van der Graaf Generator today.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2019 at 00:42
Tough.  Voted JT. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2022 at 06:07
Bump with a vote to VdGG's flawless run. 

How about Captain Beefheart? Safe as Milk to Clear Spot. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2022 at 06:46
I'm in a Land of Confusion over whether to vote for YES, The Magnificent Moodies or Genesis, but I'm In Too Deep now to remain undecided, so I'll vote for Genesis, even though I Can't Dance to any of their seven classic albums. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2022 at 07:52
this is is great poll, it needs a sequel. Smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2022 at 11:29
1°Genesis
2° ex-aequo :-) YEs VDGG Tull Marillion Camel GG
By the way , are you so afraid of King Crimson ? ;-)
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 15:30
Genesis…..

But, of course, IQ:

The Road Of Bones - Frequency - Dark Matter - The Seventh House - Subterranea - Ever - Are You Sitting Comfortably?

Yes, I know, back to front, but it was easier for my brain that way! And yes, AYSC? over Resistance.

I could just as easily have started with Tales From The Lush Attic and gone forwards from there…but Road Of Bones had to be in it…..
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 16:00
For me Radiohead qualifies with these seven. I love King of the Limbs as well

OK Computer  
Kid A    
Amnesiac    
Hail to the Thief   
In Rainbows
The King of Limbs    
A Moon Shaped Pool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456