Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moody Blues: Days of Future Passed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 06:48
I find that it's more production than music that makes rock sound dated but perhaps that just me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 10:47
Easily one of my favorite albums of all time. Sometimes, I think it is the absolute #1 (fighting Moving Pictures/Images and Words for my top spot).  

Every thing about that album is spot on perfect.  Ever song is outstanding, but even more valuable as a part of the whole package.

The songwriting is stellar, the music magnificent, the orchestration stellar, the concept and its execution beyond reproach.  The energy, the vocals, you name it.... all quite unbelievable.  

I could gush about this album on and on and on, but you get the picture.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 11:41
^ No problem. This is the thread where's it's ok to go on and on! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 13:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Instead of "dated" one can also say that it bears the marks of its time very clearly and that this contributes to its interest.
I'd call an album "dated" that I think one could have enjoyed more in the past but not so much anymore in the present because what was cool then is no longer cool but rather anachronistic and boring. However I wouldn't call an album "dated" that transports a certain atmosphere and approach of a time in such a way that it can now be appreciated as a historical document or a messenger of that time, as holds for DOFP. I mean, sure, nobody would make an album like this anymore and for good reason, but still...

Well everyone has their opinions. I didn't mean dated in a bad way though. I was referring more to the production(ie use of strings, spoken word, lyrics etc)than the actual music itself.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 15:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Instead of "dated" one can also say that it bears the marks of its time very clearly and that this contributes to its interest.
I'd call an album "dated" that I think one could have enjoyed more in the past but not so much anymore in the present because what was cool then is no longer cool but rather anachronistic and boring. However I wouldn't call an album "dated" that transports a certain atmosphere and approach of a time in such a way that it can now be appreciated as a historical document or a messenger of that time, as holds for DOFP. I mean, sure, nobody would make an album like this anymore and for good reason, but still...

Well everyone has their opinions. I didn't mean dated in a bad way though. I was referring more to the production(ie use of strings, spoken word, lyrics etc)than the actual music itself.

But it wasnt just the use of strings like was being put into pop recordings. This was complete integration with a full symphony orchestra. And it was the first time that had been done, but the concept is hardly dated as rock bands have recorded with orchestras ever since.

Spoken word continues to this day as well. As for the lyrics, they are timeless.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 20:38
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think calling some music dated is very subjective thing. Also seemed already many years to be the way to try to make people think some old music is not important, at least as important as some new music.

I remember when I was first introduced to Wakeman, with the album Arthur (before I got into prog), it did sound dated or something... and of course, just weird. Little by little I got to like it, until now it has become one of my favourite albums. And of course it doesn't sound dated at all to me now, though I guess I can understand where that impression came from in the first place.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 20:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I find that it's more production than music that makes rock sound dated but perhaps that just me.

I agree. 
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2018 at 23:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I think calling some music dated is very subjective thing. Also seemed already many years to be the way to try to make people think some old music is not important, at least as important as some new music.

I remember when I was first introduced to Wakeman, with the album Arthur (before I got into prog), it did sound dated or something... and of course, just weird. Little by little I got to like it, until now it has become one of my favourite albums. And of course it doesn't sound dated at all to me now, though I guess I can understand where that impression came from in the first place.
I can understand pop that is just made to sell to said dated ten or more years later. I mean if someone said the Monkees dated or Bay City Rollers dated (of course I am not saying anybody shouldnīt like them). But when someone has made music just the sake of art, how can it ever called dated objectively?

I have always loved quite raw production, in the eighties I started to love sixties and seventies music and really didnīt like that typical eighties plastic sounding production. Well, I quess many says now those eighties sounds dated, although the eighties have been trend quite recently. Also, in other forum there was thread about Trumans Water, that is nineties band and has lots of influences from Beefheart. Then somebody said it is really dated. Iīll quess to him the greatest music was 2000 sounding electro. I have been open minded always towards music, I donīt care is it new or old, but with my 40 years listening my thinking of whatīs great sounds and what not just havenīt changed.

I just donīt really care, is my music taste absolutely dated (I will believe there will be many who thinks so) All I care is that I want to listen music that sounds to me great.

Edited by Mortte - August 31 2018 at 23:08
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 21:09
^ I can hardly notice anymore if something is supposed to sound dated to other people. I just spend so much time listening to music from different decades (since the 60's, before that I haven't really gotten to know very much). About the 80's plastic production, I guess once again I have a reason to like live albums... mainly with Genesis from the 80's. Mostly their songs on studio versions do sound plastic an so... I guess it's got a good deal to do with the so called drum machine. But live they do play all the instruments (at least as far as I understand), and they do sound more alive, more real, and the drums are so much better.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2018 at 23:42
^I can stand some of the eighties plastic sounding albums just because the music is great although horrible production. But I believe I would listen those albums more often if they had better sounds. Also, I really love lo-fi drum machines!

Edited by Mortte - September 01 2018 at 23:43
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 08:25
80s plastic sound is a delight when used in the right way.
(Sorry, back to topic...)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2018 at 20:55

^I can stand some of the eighties plastic sounding albums just because the music is great although horrible production. But I believe I would listen those albums more often if they had better sounds. Also, I really love lo-fi drum machines!

Perhaps exactly if you could find some of those songs that you like in live versions, specially from concerts after the 80's, you could enjoy them better.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 02:22
^Thanx, but I am still studio album guy. And at the moment I have 60/70 mood going, not much interest on eighties (except some post punk greaties that doesnīt have plastic production). For example listened yesterday great Matching Mole first album, the Deviants third & also some Parliament & Joni Mitchell from the seventies!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 21:22
^ Just don't close your mind to checking out some live stuff from time to time, I would be missing some of my very favourite ones if I did that. Just to not go too far, there's Pink Floyd, specially pre-dark side... it's almost two different bands live and studio... and many of their songs for me are just incomplete in their studio versions after hearing the much greater live ones (Atom Heart Mother wouldn't be the case, though, for that one the studio one reigns supreme).
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 21:59
^Well, Pink Floyd has long been great exception in my studio/live -albums listenings. I have three bootlegs from them from 1967-1971, also listened a lot that Rainbow Theatre concert about Dark Side from 1972. For example Fat Old Sun in that 1971 live is absolutely terrific, a lot better than studio version!

Also, I got live recorded from Playhouse Theatre 1970 (Libest Spacement Monitor) where is really great version of Atom Heart, although they really play it same way as it is in the original album.

Edited by Mortte - September 04 2018 at 02:12
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 15:01
Wonderful album......great for 1967 and certainly must have influenced others. But I do find some of it to sound a bit dated....it could be the production or just the fact that it is  from 1967 after all.
Nights and Tuesday  are still two of my favorite older pieces but  I don't play it as often as the later Moody albums.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 05:38
Great album took the lead on rock groups, combining orchestra and rock merging making one amazing epic album
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 06:21
amazing album... one of the few 'rock' albums IMO that has the ability,that classical music often has,  to really tug at one's emotions and enrich the soul
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12