Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The lost VdGG album

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The lost VdGG album
    Posted: September 02 2018 at 21:54
as is common knowledge VdGG split up after "Pawn Hearts", but it is known that two songs from the following 2 PH solo albums were intended to be on the follow-up album to it, "(In the) Black Room" and "A Louse Is Not a Home". so what could this follow-up album (let's call it "The Silent Corner in the Shadow of the Night") have looked like?

well, there are in my opinion 3 other songs on these two PH solo albums that have a VdGG feel to them, and they all have the whole band playing on them: "Rock and Rôle", "Red Shift" (with Randy California guesting on guitar) and "Forsaken Gardens", so let's throw them in, and we get this:

The Silent Corner in the Shadow of the Night

track list:

side 1:

(In the) Black Room 10:56

A Louse Is Not a Home 12.13

side 2:

Rock and Rôle 6:41

Forsaken Gardens 6:15

Red Shift 8:11

Total time: 44:16

I would give this album 4.5 stars. what are your thoughts on this?

Edited by BaldJean - September 03 2018 at 15:19

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 00:56
The Silent Corner And The Empty Night - Can't pretend I'm not far more fond of of Silent Corner - only the exceptional The Black Room/Tower is on par with anything sans Rubycon on its successor imo. And while The Lie doesn't feature the whole band its exactly the sort of track my lost VdGG-album needs.

side 1:

Red Shift 8:11

A Louse Is Not a Home 12.13

side 2:

Forsaken Gardens 6:25

The Lie (Bernini's Saint Theresa) 5:47

The Black Room/Tower 11:02

-which would be an obvious five star.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 01:35
Well, if we are going to play this game, might as well go all out with all the long tracks on PH albums around this time:

1. Flight
2. A Louse Is Not A Home
3. In The Black Room/Tower
4. Gog/Magog (In Bromine Chambers)

Sounds like a fiver to me. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Phideaux View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phideaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 02:08
I love this period of Vdgg and Hammill, and I've always put

(In the) Black Room/The Tower
A Louse is Not a Home
The Comet The Course and The Tail
Faint Heart And The Sermon
Gog/Magog

as my "lost" vdgg album
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 06:40
I decided to "create" this album; here it is:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 06:40
Why are the tracks from In Camera not eligible for this??

it seems that a few of those could be eligible for the lost album.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 07:07
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

good question I guess its more of an album where none of the songs were ever intended for a Vdgg release? As much as I love it and although there's space for the lovely Again on the A-side I'd still only swap The Lie for The Cometh... I think

Edited by Saperlipopette! - September 03 2018 at 07:09
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 07:25

because "In Camera" does not have Jackson and Banton playing on it. I only chose tracks that could have been on a VdGG album the way they were recorded, with all band members playing. else "Gog / Magog (In Bromine Chambers)" would have been an excellent VdGG track though and was often played live by the band (at least the "Gog" part)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

because "In Camera" does not have Jackson and Banton playing on it. I only chose tracks that could have been on a VdGG album the way they were recorded, with all band members playing. else "Gog / Magog (In Bromine Chambers)" would have been an excellent VdGG track though and was often played live by the band (at least the "Gog" part)

I figured that afterwards, but it's got Chris Judge Smith playing

Listening currently to your (or their) lost album, BTW
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2018 at 08:43
Hi

I'm not sure that PH is one for keeping things away and not doing them one way or another. It seems to me that he gets everything he writes out in his albums or the band's.

I'm a great fan of "Silent Corner, Empty Stage", and it is one album that has always been a stand out for me, and then some. It probably has some personal meaning or other for me, but it is the album that really got my feelings going, not that "H to He" did not do so, either. 

After those 2 albums, "Godbluff" and "Still Life", that originally we were told would have been a double album, btw, are both on my love it list. During that time, the solo albums are all outstanding, and very valuable for my experience.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 01:29
Wasn't there a real lost album called "Iceberg"?

Anybody knows what was supposed to be on it?
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2018 at 18:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I decided to "create" this album; here it is: (...)

Nice work!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 00:30
Tracks selected here are spot-on !! Add to that a pristine recording of Roncevaux and we have perfection
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 06:32
I dig what you are doing and the intent there Jean.. but take this for what it is worth from me whose views on this band are well known, and not exactly positive.

include one of the best things they ever did, and not counting being a later bonus track, unreleased Squid1/Squid2/Octopus

a track so awesome that even a avowed VDGG 'whateverist' like me absolutely loves

even one who strongly considers this band to be the fathers of mediocre prog, 

ie.. prog for prog's sake
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2018 at 21:24
^ I don't remember being particularly impressed by that song when I got their albums. Perhaps the bad sound didn't help me to apreciate it.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 02:30
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ I don't remember being particularly impressed by that song when I got their albums. Perhaps the bad sound didn't help me to apreciate it.

Bad sound is in my opinion never a reason not to appreciate a song or album. Sound is absolutely secondary; what counts is the music and only the music.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 03:38
Never heard of the lost Iceberg

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Tracks selected here are spot-on !! Add to that a pristine recording of Roncevaux and we have perfection

Actually, you're not far from spot on

=========

good selections Jean
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 07:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Bad sound is in my opinion never a reason not to appreciate a song or album. Sound is absolutely secondary; what counts is the music and only the music.

A bad sound on a great song is extremely frustrating. This was the case for Blackroom on the vinyl version of Time Vaults, one of my favourite VdGG tracks and not replaceable by the version on Peter Hammill's Chameleon In The Shadow Of The Night. Fortunately, the sound on the CD version of Time Vaults is greatly improved.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2018 at 21:10

Yeah, fair enough. But still, there are times I need to listen to a song several times before I can really get it, and thus know if I like it or not. And if the sound quality is bad enough, I might just not be motivated to give it the necessary listens. Besides, if I do get to find out I like the song, but the sound quality is so bad that it prevents me to enjoy the song, and that's the only version to be found, well, that would be even more frustrating than just not liking it at all.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 00:35

Yeah, fair enough. But still, there are times I need to listen to a song several times before I can really get it, and thus know if I like it or not. And if the sound quality is bad enough, I might just not be motivated to give it the necessary listens. Besides, if I do get to find out I like the song, but the sound quality is so bad that it prevents me to enjoy the song, and that's the only version to be found, well, that would be even more frustrating than just not liking it at all.

Bad sound quality can also obscure little details of the recording, making it seem inferior than it actually is (or at the very least not allow you to have an informed opinion). 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply