Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Modern Prog Masterpieces to share with the unaware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Prog Masterpieces to share with the unaware

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Pick Your Favourite One
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
5 [41.67%]
1 [8.33%]
2 [16.67%]
1 [8.33%]
2 [16.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Prog Masterpieces to share with the unaware
    Posted: September 15 2018 at 07:42
Some Of the could be "Masterpieces" (of course only by my own judgement) of the year 2010 to today. As diverse as these might be they´re all connected through them being more on the avant side of things (so dont give up at the first listen) and pretty progressive in the true sense of the word, whilst being important and having actually had an influence or I´m at least pretty sure some will become influential eventually. Them being pretty "modern" I thought I´d put Major Parkinson in who aren´t that progressive in the true sense of the word and I guess a bit more common although having a pretty interesting modern "indie like" sound. Whether you like them in the end or not I am happy if I could introduce you to a gem or two. And I am totally aware that PoiL aren´t that obscure hehe : D.

Der Graf
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 08:01
well, it seems I'm in the unaware ones
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 08:02
That POIL album Brossaklitt is one of the best albums i've heard in a recrent years.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

That POIL album Brossaklitt is one of the best albums i've heard in a recrent years.

Yeah I think they´re pretty funny. fun prog approach and BrossaKlitt I think is even better than the new one from collab with ni. The Bran Coucou one.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 09:50
I only knew Bubblemath of these but thought I've got to get to know (and buy) something new, so I gave them all some 10 minutes each to find a winner. Well I've got to say I sometimes think I'm pretty open and experimentally minded (at least compared to some) but quite a bit of Avant/Tech Extreme music strikes me as remarkably unfriendly and harsh and neither growls nor putting all kinds of complexities into every minute of music will necessarily help.
Before I actually got through to the Guerilla Toss album listed here (harsh, unfriendly and showing off; I've got to say that I actually have respect for this kind of stuff but ultimately... not for me) I stumbled across GT Ultra, which I find very charming (apparently I'm still more of an 80s pop listener than a proghead).

Shortly before closing time then came Chenille and this finallly struck me as a good mix of avantgardistic complexity and melodic bits with enough magic to really suck me in; I think I prefer this even to Bubblemath who are a bit too slick though still very good. 
Major Parkinson, fair enough, can't be criticised along the same lines as some others but don't do much for me.
Anyway, one great discovery and another one on the fly though not listed here is pretty good so thanks.

Edited by Lewian - September 15 2018 at 09:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:53
Actually I do like the GT Ultra one quite alot pretty interesting melodies and all very very catchy. Yeah i have to admit it´s really quite harsh at least Guerilla Toss, Yowie and Igorrr, but what about the PoiL one same issues?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 10:59
For some reason, I really like Guerrilla Toss, so it gets my vote.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 11:28
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Actually I do like the GT Ultra one quite alot pretty interesting melodies and all very very catchy. Yeah i have to admit it´s really quite harsh at least Guerilla Toss, Yowie and Igorrr, but what about the PoiL one same issues?

It is interesting music but overloaded in places and I wasn't attracted by the vocals. You never know, maybe with more time... but there's so much music out there, there needs to be initial attraction to give something more time.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2018 at 15:11
None for me
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 09:11
Edit Peptide  is so awesome!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2018 at 21:25
Not voting on this one as I am "the unaware."
Thank you for sharing.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2018 at 14:51
Yes....all new to me.......but one of my picks would be Wobbler- Rites At Dawn from 2011.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 09:49
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Yeah. Never heard a band developing material that easy recognizable and still so facetted (sry dont know if thats an english word... I mean it is very diverse and has many faces.) And theyre so much fun. Like I said in another thread One of the best of our times. But often I tend to like the first one even more... Be Together, Cells Out, Doll Hammer.. I could go on and on.

Which one´s your Favourite of Peptide?

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:10
I already know that Igorr is fun if I'm in the mood and that Major Parkinson is not my bag but largely unaware. Plan to do something about it.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:27
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I already know that Igorr is fun if I'm in the mood and that Major Parkinson is not my bag but largely unaware. Plan to do something about it.  

I hope you´re a fan of harsh sounds. Just wanna warn you about Guerilla Toss and Yowie then and maybe Chenille but the rest is much less brutal
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:29
Btw Yowie did a new album which might sound more accessible for beginners. Mostly because of better production and straight forward structure.

Damning With Faint is just my personal favourite. I think it stands out from the other yowie ones and represents them well. Someone in another thread drew a line to Massacre (you know the project with frith and laswell) and I think he isn´t too far off.

Edited by GrafHaarschnitt - September 20 2018 at 10:32
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2018 at 10:58
Originally posted by GrafHaarschnitt GrafHaarschnitt wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I hope you´re a fan of harsh sounds. Just wanna warn you about Guerilla Toss and Yowie then and maybe Chenille but the rest is much less brutal
I don't mind harsh sounds as long as I like them - duh. Which equals finding them somewhat meaningful within its context I guess. 

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2018 at 17:20
Poil 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 15:37
Major Parkinson
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2018 at 15:53
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

ThisClap. One of my top 10 2017 albums for sure. It is a pity they suffered from technical issues at ProgDay 2017, so that  their set was not as inspiring as I was expecting it to be. The album, however, is outstanding, and they look like a bunch of very nice guys to boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply