Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quintessential Prog Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 09:20
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

I like to consider the quintessential prog album this way:  If a person not familiar with prog asked me for a sample track, what would I play for them? For me it would have to be Relayer. Gates of Delirium, in particular, is one of the proggiest tracks according to my tastes and definitions... Lots of drama and energy. A roller coaster of emotion (angst, fear, elation). Many different movements all seamlessly sculpted into a single piece. Expert muscianship. And the vocals! And while I might also consider KC Red, or some other album, I think Relayer is more accessible to the non-practitioner. And once Jon breaks into "Soon...", many non-prog people would say "Oh, I remember hearing that back in the day". They just never heard the whole masterpiece which it is part of. And I would say "Welcome to prog, my friend".

I would choose something with a less cheesy keyboard sound for starters. For starters Iīd have to go with Nursery Cryme instead of Lizard (being more the one for the long time proggies) okok only two and a half years for me.
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 09:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Relayer easier for someone who's not into prog than Red... no way.

I think Relayer is easier if you donīt count Starless (which would be an exceptional grandiose start). Red is after all pretty f**ked up (Providence, One More Red Nightmare(those damn rhythms kill me)) and has very eclectic instruments and styles (I for myself werenīt able to put Fallen Angel in a Rock context when I heard it at the first time) Red is a brutal and extremely hard to grasp stop and start fully instrumental affair and the start of the album. I think Red as a whole is disastrous for beginners. I still find it to be one of the more experimental albums in Prog. And for Relayer. Itīs relatively fluent. anderson is always catchy. The album isnīt weird, It is more an "out there" affair and epic (just what I would show someone new to prog who wants to be wowed) with all those spacey sounds and it has a simple ballad as a final (I mean gates and because I have the opportunity as it just appeared to me... I also mean To Be Over) Also we have a classic line up of... The eclectic Epic the jazzy and avant one and the symphonic beauty.

Red accessible you must be out of your mind xD sry bro just kidding.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 16:37
I really don't think Red is that inaccessible; sure they use some odd whole-tone/diminished scales here and there, but anyone who has listened to modern rock/metal wouldn't be too fazed by it. Maybe there's a few unconventional tempo/time changes, but they usually stick with a groove long enough to get used to it. I'd agree that Providence is pretty inaccessible, though. Maybe the middle of Starless would get on someone's nerves if they don't have the patience for long build-ups. Of course this all depends on whether you're playing it to a headbanger or someone who only listens to Top 40 hits.

I think Relayer might be a bit tougher because all of the songs are longer and don't necessarily come back to a catchy chorus, but rather continue into different sections.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2018 at 22:55
I still think Relayer is rather inaccessible... I mean, we're all used to all this weirdness, so we might have a hard time remembering what "not weird" is. Gates of Delirium should be a rather difficult thing to grasp for someone not used to this music... except perhaps for the Soon section... perhaps. And Sound Chaser, come on, how will a non progger get into that. To be Over is indeed rather beautiful, but for it's length it would be difficult to get into it, and listeners may get bored with it soon enough. As for Red, the title song I think should be an easy one to love, with that riff leading the way. The next two may be a bit difficult, but not more than anything on Relayer. Starless does have some beautiful moments, so it might be apreciated, if the long instrumental buildup doesn't scare the new listeners out. And Providence, yeah, that should be the most difficult part of the album to get into (I still think they should have used the improv that became Ausbury Park), but not more than Sound Chaser, I think. Not in vain, if I remember well, Kurt Cobaine mentioned Red as an important album for him.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 06:03
hm... To this day I couldnīt fully get into Red. Maybe the problem lies with me. I Think no one should start with King Crimson actually. Itīs just too far away from rock. Yes rocks far more conventional and has lots of instantly cool stuff.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 06:07
And I donīt mean the time changes or the chords. I mean the many many instruments and unexpected avant percussion in one more red nightmare. Theyīre really odd not to say arythmic and absolutely alien to the song. What do you think about it starting with an instrumental? The song lengths never kept me away they were more like my first attractor xD. Donīt know what others think about song lengths.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 06:16
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I still think Relayer is rather inaccessible... I mean, we're all used to all this weirdness, so we might have a hard time remembering what "not weird" is. Gates of Delirium should be a rather difficult thing to grasp for someone not used to this music... except perhaps for the Soon section... perhaps. And Sound Chaser, come on, how will a non progger get into that. To be Over is indeed rather beautiful, but for it's length it would be difficult to get into it, and listeners may get bored with it soon enough. As for Red, the title song I think should be an easy one to love, with that riff leading the way. The next two may be a bit difficult, but not more than anything on Relayer. Starless does have some beautiful moments, so it might be apreciated, if the long instrumental buildup doesn't scare the new listeners out. And Providence, yeah, that should be the most difficult part of the album to get into (I still think they should have used the improv that became Ausbury Park), but not more than Sound Chaser, I think. Not in vain, if I remember well, Kurt Cobaine mentioned Red as an important album for him.

Relayer was one of my first prog albums and I asked myself... Is this a disney football game (the middlepart) and what keeps the song together? It all sounded rather ridiculous but not as hard to grasp as my experiences with Red and Lizard or even Larks !?!?! I wanted more of that epic howe riff, thats what made me keep listening to gates and I loved both going for the one and siberian kathru (which made me keep yes).

Nowadays to get back to some kind of red thread... I still prefer Relayer over Red but I think both of them are masterpieces in creativity, but I wont rate them any more than 3 stars emotionally. Relayer is too unfocused and Red too diverse! Still donīt know what I should do with my Relayer rating. Listen to this for pure adventurousness quite often and have great fun with it (actually quite regularly) mayber I like it much more than I think. Itīs just another type of emotion I guess.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2023 at 10:12
Genesis - Foxtrot
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terramystic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2023 at 23:44

I like to consider the quintessential prog album this way:  If a person not familiar with prog asked me for a sample track, what would I play for them?

I have used Rush - Xanadu. When my students learn about rock music and different genres I show them the music video of Xanadu so they can also see the instrumentation - double neck guitars, rich percussion set, synths (pedals and keyboards).
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2023 at 15:19
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

I like to consider the quintessential prog album this way:  If a person not familiar with prog asked me for a sample track, what would I play for them?

I have used Rush - Xanadu. When my students learn about rock music and different genres I show them the music video of Xanadu so they can also see the instrumentation - double neck guitars, rich percussion set, synths (pedals and keyboards).

Sorry, but I can't help not to think of it as a bad reputation for Progressive Rock. Embarrassed

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234